Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #1

Politics

Not that I push my position on political issues ( especially since I'm from Canada and most of you are from the U.S. ) But I wanted to make sure that if you didn't know, that you support the " Employee Free Choice Act" that was introduced into the house last week. Let your representative know how you feel by mail or phone, don't think it won't matter if you do, because it does!!!! If you want to know more about it I can put you in touch with a representative of the Machinist's Union in Washington to give you the background..........thanks all.

voyager

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #2

Politics

what support a bill that bans the right to a secret ballot? Why do unions fear a secret ballot? Shucks let me guess, because when they can gang up on you to get you to sign a card thats easier than winning an election where people can freely vote without intimadation.

Naw They wouldnt do that, just like they didnt threaten my buddies who refused to supoort the union coming into thier plant.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #3

Politics

The Employee Free Choice Act could hurt more workers than it helps. Congress should kill this bill or insist on reasonable compromise.

The bill would establish a card-check system. While advocates claim this isn't the case, this new system would effectively end the secret ballot and radically alter union organizing.

Yes, management has some inherent advantages. But the solution shouldn't be by taking away a workers' right to choose by secret ballot.

The answer is strengthening penalties for misbehavior while preserving the central tenet of the secret ballot, which protects employees from both the boss and the union boss.

Workers have the right to organize a union; they also have the right to be free from a union.

My response to this issue in no way represents my full view on unions; however it just seems when one looks at the intimidation that can occur with regard to unionizing; card check unfairly tips the scales against the worker.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 03-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #4

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Politics

Weather you for or against a Union there should be no fear of a secret ballet. For many different reasons I chose to vote against a union and when I made my position known I found out who my friends were.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 03-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #5

Politics

Ok, last comment on this because this forum shouldn't become a political sound board. Learn about the bill before you comment. This act will NOT eliminate the choice of a secrete ballot. If the decision at the work place is over 30%., then a secrete ballot can still be taken. Right now under your labor laws, after a majority has signed recognition cards and it's registered with the Labor Board, the vote is not taken for 40 some odd days ( not exactly sure, but close ) This is what gives the employer all the advantage when it comes to intimidating , harrassing and even firing Union organizers. The fact remains, as Union density grows, so does the standard of living for workers in both our countries.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2009, 06:41 AM   #6

Politics

I'm not sure how my standard of living goes up when the guy next to me makes the same as i do no madder how hard he or she works.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Politics

Uh, sorry voyager but I respectfully dissagree. When a bargaining unit achieves enough signatures to qualify for a vote employers hands are tied. Everything they say and do is monitored and even the slightest comments are brought before the NLRB. Unions have tried several times to get into our company without success so I have some experience here. Managers can not harrass or intimidate workers. In fact all of that happens from the Union side. Their hands are not tied.

Last time the union got a toehold here the employees got tired of their lies and dirty tricks and circulated a petion off the company property and on their own time to get the Union booted out.

The so called "Free Choice Act" is not a good thing.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 AM   #8

Politics

I used to be AIM (United Airlines). Glad I'm not anymore. I still lost my pension!