Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #1

Oil and engine noise

I have read a lot about the nomad engine noise from several different forums, I also ride an 07 Nomad and am no stranger to it myself.
I also read threads about oil being used, I agree synthetic oil is better and some say it makes engine noise less, but not for me.
I have tried Mobil 1 20/50 and 10/40 and had to dump it almost as soon as I put it in, It makes my valves and lifters rattle like crazy. It's so bad I'm afraid it will damage my engine. I can hear it even on the interstate.
When I use Dino. I have hardly any engine noise at all, anyone have any Ideas why some have good results with it while some don't?
Also I have been running Spectro 4, my engine is quiet, can hardly hear any noise at all. Anyone else running this oil or know anything about it. I would like to run the best oil out there, but as we know there's a lot of opinions on that.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #2

Oil and engine noise

I have used all kinds of oil, and for me the synthetic oils by far out perform the dino oils. The shifting of the transmission with dino oil is not as smooth as with synthetic, and my engine appears to run cooler and less noisy. As a personal preference, I change my oil every 3K miles, and I can also say that the synthetic oil feels and sounds like new oil thru the 3K miles. The dino oil on the other hand would start shifting harder at the end. I have in the past used Spectro 4, a shop I used at the time was big on that oil, they raced bikes (ZX- 10 , ZX -12 , and ZX-14 ) and that was their oil of choice. As for the noise issue, have you had it into the shop for their evaluations ? Sounds to me that your bike is a bit more noisy that the average Nomad. Yes, V-twin engines are alot more noisy than say 4-cylinder engines, but they should not sound like their coming apart !

Old 09-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #3

Oil and engine noise

The dealership said the Nomads were noisy by nature and synthetic oil sometimes seemed to make it worse. It's only noisy with synthetic oil with dino. it just makes the normal valve train noise that Vtwins make. I've rode Harley's that sounded like you were dragging a chain with you.

If it does it to mine I figured maybe some others that have a lot of noise might want to check it out. I had great shifting with it but the noise was'nt worth it.

Thanks for the info. on the oil it works fine for me.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Oil and engine noise

I used both and i can't tell a difference in sound
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #5

Oil and engine noise

I know I'm old (65) and probably deaf (although Miss Polly says I hear things she can't hear, and she's six years younger) but I'm having a hard time figuring out all the fuss I hear about the 'noisy' Nomad engines. I've had a number of bikes over the years to compare it to, and I have just never noticed our bikes being all THAT noisy. Maybe it's just me!!????

Also, this Nomad shifts MUCH more smoothly and quietly than anything I have ever ridden before. LUV IT!!!!!!!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #6

Oil and engine noise

Could it be engine knock from low octain fuel?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #7

Oil and engine noise

I went to my stealer before I bought my bike and they fired up a 2008 Nomad for me....man was it noisy. The valves/lifters (not real mechanical but think that's what it was) made a h*ll of a racket. I did not want that one! It almost kept me from buying a Nomad.

Fortunately I kept looking at Nomads and found a used one (2003 with 3000 miles). It was so much quieter than that new one. Maybe they just get quiter as rings seat and things get broken in. The stealer explained that Nomads have more "piston slap" designed into them so they run cooler and last longer but does add to the noise. I don't know if that is BS or not?
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Oil and engine noise

That was BS by your dealer. You were probably hearing the start up solenoids clacking away. They sound a lot like noisy lifters. I've unplugged mine and the motor is way quieter..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-02-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Oil and engine noise

I was running a 20w50 full synthetic and every once in awhile I would get alot of lifter noise. I talked to a couple of mechanics that I know and they said it was the oil airating and causing the lifters to make one hell of a racket. It almost sounded like it was out of oil. So even though it shifted way smoother with the synthetic I went back to a 10w40 semi synthetic. I havent had a problem since.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #10

Oil and engine noise

I got back with the dealer today, tomorrow im going to drop mine off and let them check it. I's still under warranty and only makes sense. Mine also makes a lot of noise when it's cold takes about 20 miles to stop. I like the Nomad, my wife and I ride almost every weekend but this noise has got to go. I believe I have a bad lifter or a valve out of adjustment.