Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #1

white smoke

I humbly ask the Nomad Gods for assistance on the perplexing event. I did the Caddmann mod. Don't think this has anything to do with that. I had to replace the exhaust on my Nomad. The front jug has a slight exhaust leak. I will be replacing the crush gasket ASAP. I can see it on cold mornings, it fogs up the chrome head covers. I have been driving to work in 32 degree weather and when it is warming up I also notice a puff of white smoke that comes from the middle of the front jug when it is warming up. If I turn the throttle quick, out comes a puff of white smoke. At idle, nothing. From the left side it looks like it is coming out of the middle of the front jug, by the square black thing :) At least that is where it appears to come from. My coolant levels have not changed. Any ideas?? Is this possibly related to the mod?? The bike idles fine and runs awesome but I can definitely smell fumes. I also did the 560 ohm resistor mod on the fuel air temp sensor. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

white smoke

The black box is reed valves...

Are your rides pretty short to work?

When you get to work can you still duplicate the symtom?

If so can you get someone to wack that throttle and give you the chance to sniff that white smoke? if so does it smell like coolant?

None of the mods you did should effect this in anyway I can see.

I for sure would snug all the coolant hose clamps, as these are all pretty loose from the factory. Just about everyone finds these a tad loose.

About 1/2 of us find the rad drain plug loose too.

I am hoping what see doesn't really come from where you see it, and that water has no coolant smell, and or that coolant is weeping which is common, but dries before it can hit the ground. Don't go nuts and crush down these clamps, but snug each one just the same.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #3

white smoke

When I removed the reed valves I wasn't too impressed by the gaskets there. It's possible you're just seeing condensation, as you often see out the tailpipe of a cold car, and it's going through the reed valve box gaskets because they're a little loose. On those things, if they get a little loose they will burn from exhaust heat and quickly get very loose.

And, yes, it's entirely possible that you will see more condensation in the exhaust after modding the intake, as now the intake air won't be warmed as quickly in the crossover tube. This condensation isn't anything to worry about. Now errosion of the cylinder head gasket surface at that reed box is something to worry about. Those kind of leaks will just get worse and worse.

Personally, I'd get some coasters and get rid of the reeds and all their associated plumbing. Basically they're just dead weight and more things to spring leaks.

Temporarily, I'd remove the offending reed assembly & either make new gaskets or if the originals are still in one piece and not flaking apart, you could give them several coats of paint & re-assemble. If the leak is very minor that will seal them. Don't overtorque the little bolts, and be sure to clean the threads + use sealant, paint, or Loc-Tite on the threads.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #4

white smoke

OK found a hole. On the left side of the front jug, right where the cooling fins go from long to short, I can see a small hole about 1/4 in diameter. I can also feel it. I just don't know what it is. That's what is blowing the smoke rings I believe. Is it supposed to do that?? This thing is blowing perfect smoke rings I can only see them first thing in the morning when the bike is just warming up. Thanks for the suggestions by the way.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
white smoke

your going to need to take a picture of that hole so we can see it..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #6

white smoke

It certainly looks like it is part of the cylinder. Almost looks like a hex wrench head. Hard to get the mirror in there but will try. Will get some pics of the smoke rings in the morn if they show up on the camera :)

Old 04-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #7

white smoke

Ask and you shall receive. Not real clear but you can see part of the hole. Remember this is a picture of the mirror.

Pretty sure thats what is blowing the smoke rings. Nothing else in that area. Can't see how deep it goes but can't see bottom.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
Top Contributor

white smoke

too cloudy to make it out, hope its not a hole in your jug,,,

Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #9

white smoke

White smoke is usually a sign that we have a new Pope .

Old 04-22-2008, 10:58 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
white smoke

and you don't want a new pope out your jug!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #11

white smoke

Yeah, I can't tell what that photo's showing either. There's only 3 things in that area: The reed valves, the head gasket, and the coolant drain bolts. I reallyreallyreally doubt that you've got a crack. I can feel that hole with my finger though.

AFAICT That hole is a drilled galley. It's plugged at the factory so the plug doesn't show as a part in the parts book. If it's leaking, but it's not leaking oil or liquid coolant, then it is probably a passage to the cam chain galley, though I don't know what it's for except manufacturing access. Usually these plugs plug oil or coolant passages.

If it's leaking white smoke, in that case, that would be blowby gasses from the crankcase. That would mean that potentially dirt could get in there, because crankcases suck as well as blow. Without taking the radiator out, I can't see it any better to tell more.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

white smoke

What part of Maine are you in cathoga?

I can't make out that pic either, but i would be willing to try in person.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #13

white smoke

You guys are too nice. I doubt I have a crack either. The smoke rings were just that, rings. Caddmann, I am glad you can feel that hole also. At least it tells me I am not the only one that has one :). Is it possible you all have the same thing on warmup but don't see them?? They shoot right into the fan and I can only see them on the coldest mornings, like below 30 degrees :) This morning it was 44 and I couldn't see any smoke rings. It almost looks like a hex head nut in there. I will see if I can get one in there and give it a turn or 2. I probably have the only wife who doesn't have a compact with mirror. I will try to get a clearer picture. Macmac, I am in Arundel. Just was up in your area sunday. Went to Cafe Noche in Conway for lunch and it was closed for 2 weeks , renovations. Ended up with sandwiches at Chinnooks. Familiar with the place?? Thanks again. Dont' we love a mystery?? :)

Old 04-23-2008, 07:05 PM   #14

white smoke

Ahhhh, Cafe Noche, good Mexican grub. Been there quite a few times with the wife. Never been across the street to Chinnooks though. Sometimes stop at the Cafe in the summer after a day of riding in the mountains.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #15

white smoke

I'd be surprised if there's a threaded plug in that hole, if it is indeed what I think it is. Usually those holes are closed up with pressed-in-place plugs.

It hasn't been down below 50<sup>o</sup> F here for a month or more, so if my bike's doing it at 30<sup>o</sup> F I couldn't tell now. I never have noticed anything like this, but it's rare that I allow my bike to run without me sitting on it.

See there was this brand new Norton Commando warming up on high idle one day. The engine vibrated a tad and the shifter vibrated right into gear. That bike shot across the parking lot and smacked into a parked car and was a total wreck after that.

Ever since then I don't like to let the bike run without me on it, and I'll bet the owner of that Norton doesn't either.