Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #1

Exhaust Sound Laws

I received my AMA, January 2010, American Motorcyclist mag. in the mail a couple of days ago. Arnold Schwarzenegger is on the cover as "2010 AMA Motorcyclist of the Year". The reason is, he signed into existence a piece of bad legislature putting restrictions on after market pipes beginning with bikes built in 2013. The measure is supposed to restrict noise pollution.

Being an old geezer, there's a good chance this law won't effect me too much (it usually takes California's hair brained laws a couple of years to reach us here in the Midwest), but I was interested to know what you folks thought.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #2

Exhaust Sound Laws

Hopefully it will be enforced as efficiently as the cell phone while driving laws. Then we will have nothing to worry about.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #3

Exhaust Sound Laws

It may not be the right piece of legislation but at least he is trying to do something about the noise problem with motorcycles.
Yes there is a noise problem. We are seeing the effects of not policing ourselves. Hang on, it will get worse.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Exhaust Sound Laws

Why limit it to motorcycles? Some cars and trucks are loud too.

Will the police have decibel meters to measure the sound level from a prescribed distance?

Old 12-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Exhaust Sound Laws

I think TC talks too LOUD!!! can we get some legislation for that?!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-15-2010, 12:48 AM   #6

Exhaust Sound Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
I think TC talks too LOUD!!! can we get some legislation for that?!!
Me, LOUD, no way.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ken
Exhaust Sound Laws

TC is right, loud pipes will, in the end, result in harsher control for motorcycles. If we don't fix the problem ourselves and in a way that makes sense, state/city governments will do it for us and not necessarily with laws that we will be pleased with.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #8

Exhaust Sound Laws

It's all about respect. You can be running straight pipes and can go by people and not bother them because you're not nailing the throttle. Take a bunch of guys and go by residents of any area and they might not like it or even get aggravated because they just don't like motorcycles. Go by a bunch of times in numbers with straight pipes, especially getting on the throttle, you should be pulled over and with the laws in many states, ticketed.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
Mega-Contributor

Exhaust Sound Laws

The CA law passed by the Governator doesn't require the use of decibel meters. It simply states that all exhaust systems must have an EPA certification label stamped on them. There are only a couple of aftermarket exhaust systems that carry this label. So after the law takes effect, if your exhaust doesn't have the EPA label on them, you are in violation. So all the guys who bought aftermarket pipes and disposed of their factory pipes are screwed. A factory exhaust is several times more expensive than an aftermarket system.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #10

Exhaust Sound Laws

I think TC is correct. We have successfully screwed ourselves with respect to loud pipes. While, personally, I like a rich-sounding exhaust, but I prefer it mellow to loud. The "Look at me" group has grated on too many sensitve ears over the years and now someone is doing something about it. I suspect that in the future, aftermarket exhaust systems will be re-engineered and designed to sound good, but not be loud, in order to conform to EPA specs. I also think that the EPA has gotten out of hand with its powers. The unfortunate thing is that this will only serve to penalize everyone, not just those who like ear splitting exhaust systems. Individualism is a great thing, but it does need to be reasonable. I can't wait to see if someone has the cajones to challenge this as unconstitutional.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Exhaust Sound Laws

I have noticed this past summer, while travelling through Maine, that several towns have passed ordinances. The signs say for trucks not to engine break through town. Others I noticed were for MC's to keep it quiet through the residential sections of town. The straight pipe crew has offended a lot of people. All of us that continue to ride will pay the price for it.
I've noticed over the last few years, that many riders had not ever owned a MC before, or hadn't had one in a long while, returned to it. And have already decided to give it up. Thus there are lots of used bikes for sale out there. I'm wondering if the majority of the bikes for sale have after market pipes on them. It seems the ones I read about do. Just saying....
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 12-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #12

Exhaust Sound Laws

They began to crack down here this summer and are using decibel meters and testing. As part of the education before a full assault on the issue next summer the local PD did many courtesy sound checks at local dealers with no risk of getting tagged if you failed. Next summer they plan to go for full enforcement.

I personally love a pipe with a good rumble but my Nomad is still stock as I leave for work at 5:30 AM and have no interest in being "that guy" in my neighborhood.

Doug Engstrom
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, (Sold at 83,000 km)

Old 12-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #13

Exhaust Sound Laws

Do you know, would this be retroactive?

So, you could modify the EPA certified pipes and be ok, if I may read between the lines.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #14

Exhaust Sound Laws

My debaffled Nomad is quieter on the freeway than the car tires traveling in the lane next to me. It is just a different noise.

I like the sound of the debaffle, but I want drivers to hear/know that I am beside or coming up on their blind side. I am trying to decide which pipes I am going to buy this time. I will keep my old pipes in case some laws get passed.

I think there is a Dodge Dually in my neighborhood that is trying to ensure no one sleeps. :) It is hard to pass a law to cover all of the nuisances in life.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #15

Exhaust Sound Laws

Don't care!!! I'll keep my UB modified Vance and Hines and run the risk of any ticket anywhere. After attending the funeral of a life long friend and his wife who were Tboned by a farm truck who was reported to tell the police " I didn't see them or even hear them.............." He was running stock HD exhaust on his Road King and they were very quite. He had plans to upgrade but never got around to it........ :'(

Please..........no one echo the saying " you don't hear the pipes when they're behind you " I know for a fact that's not true. Sorry for the rant but their deaths are still too fresh.