Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #1

NJ/PA Motorcycle exhaust laws

I'm considering a move from CA to NJ/PA for work reasons (too bad about the weather :'() and am wondering what the law and enforecement situation is regarding aftermarket pipes.

I have a 2003 Nomad with Vance & Hines pipes. To anyone living in NJ/PA... do the cops pull you over for this kind of thing? and are there any inspections for registration?

I have the factory pipes and am tempted to sell them on ebay just to get rid of them... but would hate to find out that in NJ/PA I need them!

Thanks,
Brian

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send an e-mail to the DMV requesting info.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 04-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #3

No problem overall in either state but some local communities who have been bombarded in the past with wacko's running straight pipes and revving engines at every traffic light have cracked down on them. One town in particular New Hope in Bucks County Pa which is just across the river (Delaware) from Lambertville NJ has come down hard on loud pipes. I've ridden almost everywhere in Pa & NJ excluding major Cities and have never been stopped I had V&H pipes on 2 different Nomads. ;)

If your sensible you won't have a problem.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #4

Ive ridden all over NY & Pa the last five years and have never had a problem there, I have V&H pipes also. There are a lot of real nice roads in Pa to ride as well.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #5

There is an annual safety inspection required on motor vehicles in PA. Registration is $18 a year and the inspection (motorcycle shops, dealers etc.) charge is around $25. They are fairly strict about tires, lights and brakes but there seems to be no concern about fenders, open pipes, ape hangers, blue light lenses,barely visable turn signals and relocated license plates by what I see on the road.
Some local communities have had their fill of knuckleheads roaring through town with open pipes and have set up checkpoints that bikes have to stop at and have exhaust decibels measured. 'OleDawg' mentioned New Hope and I have seen them at Newark DE and a small suburg outside of Philadelphia. Muffled aftermarket pipes are deemed acceptable but anything unbaffled (they push a plunger handle thru the muffler) will get you a fine.
The police are like they are in most places - if you ride like an idiot you'll get pulled over, follow the rules and you are okay. I have never heard of the police pulling a bike over for a bike inspection compliance but they will give it a good look if you, again, ride like an idiot. Prior to a few years ago if you were stopped and did not have your license, registration you had 24 hours to produce them, no more, it's a mandatory fine so don't leave home without them! PA also requires liability insurance and a card (for that bike) that says so. I think PA has great roads for motorcycles, rural farms roads, curvy roads along the many rivers in the state, tree canopied mountain roads to cool off on during hot summer rides and depending on where you start from you can ride through six states on one afternoon ride.
We'll leave the light on for you.
Jim Southeastern PA

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments... I'll take my chances I think and leave the V&H on the bike..

It sounds a bit like CA.. I've seen the cops set up an inspection point near where I live, up the way up a hill, and they pull in bikes that sound loud and test the decibels.. however I have not seen them do that now for over a year and they never pulled me over..

I don't ride like a lunatic (mostly ;)) so I should be fine.

Now, if only I could do something about the weather...

Brian