Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Hey Darksiders, You know who you are.......

In the November issue of Cycle World Magazine, on page 67, there's an letter written to the Service, (fix my bike), Column. The author from San Francisco is asking which tire will hydroplane first, a M/C or a C/T. The reply was a car tire will hydroplane first because of it's larger contact patch, floating over vs The M/C tire "cutting" thru standing water.

I tried to find the article on-line to link here, but no such luck. Please be careful thru the winter months......-Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

That hasn't been my experience, but I'll keep that in mind. All I know is my Nomad is much more sure-footed on any surface than it was with a m/c tire on it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
Advanced Member

I did some independent surfing of the web & you know everything there is gospel truth:

Motorcycles benefit from narrow tires with round, canoe-shaped contact patches. Narrow tires are less vulnerable to hydroplaning because vehicle weight is distributed over a smaller area, and rounded tires more easily push water aside. These advantages diminish on lighter motorcycles with naturally wide tires, like those in the supersport class. Further, wet conditions reduce the lateral force that any tire can accomodate before sliding. While a slide in a four-wheeled vehicle may be corrected, the same slide on a motorcycle will generally cause the rider to fall. Thus, despite the relative lack of hydroplaning danger in wet conditions, motorcycle riders must be even more cautious because overall traction is reduced by wet roadways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroplaning_(tires)

Old 10-21-2009, 06:04 PM   #4

I can't relate on the subject because I haven't ridden the CT in heavy rain yet. I did catch a heavy mist on the way up to Antlers, OK last week but not enough to really wet the road. I will keep your caution note in mind when I do finally catch a really wet road. I only have ridden in heavy rain on the Custer trip and I do mean heavy! The Avon Cobras handled the puddles well, but again, no CT experiences as of yet. Thanks.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #5

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC

I can say for certain the difference, if there is any, is negligible. I'll go so far to put my two courses of engineering from Vo-Tech school to work and say that because of the water dispersing tread patterns on the CT there is less hydroplaning. If that article tels you the breaking (which is more of a concern to me) is better with a MT, you need to cancel your subscription. Traction also negligible. :)

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #6

Don't know what this means compared to a M/C tire, but on a recent trip to NH when we got rained on, the riders behind me told me I was putting out a rooster tail from my rear C/T and didn't feel any slippage.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to wompus

It doesn't matter which one you agree with, just slow down when it rains!
The rain has always made me slow down... cause it stings like hell when it hits my face!

And, if I don't slow down then the wife starts rapping on the back of my helmet! ::)

Mike "WOMPUS' Nieznany
1999 Nomad "Fronkensteen"
Viet Nam Vet 68-69-70
KawaNOW #00577
I'm sarcastic and have a smart ass attitude. It's a natural defense against DRAMA, BULLSHIT & STUPIDITY!!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavor
Don't know what this means compared to a M/C tire, but on a recent trip to NH when we got rained on, the riders behind me told me I was putting out a rooster tail from my rear C/T and didn't feel any slippage.
Somebody told me following me in the rain was like following a ski boat.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-21-2009, 11:39 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOMPUS
The rain has always made me slow down... cause it stings like hell when it hits my face!

And, if I don't slow down then the wife starts rapping on the back of my helmet! ::).
I don't want to start an arguement. I didn't know if the Darksiders had taken the hydroplaning possibility into account when they ride in the rain. Just wanted to give you a heads up with winter coming up. Ride Safe....-Rich

Old 10-22-2009, 06:52 AM   #10

When I was choosing a CT, the rain/wet roads was one of my considerations. This is one of the reasons I chose the Goodyear TripleTred (which is a rain tire). Last month, while traveling up to DK's (100 miles away) it was raining VERY hard. There were even rivers running across the road. It rained hard the whole way up there, and not once did I fill uncomfortable. The road was stretches of concrete, then asphalt. The tire did better than my previous Metzeler 880, or Avon Cobra on the wet roads. I was very impressed with the way the tire handled the wet conditions.
I love my TripleTred

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 10-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #11

I wonder how much the fact that "most" CT's have a softer rubber compound than m/c tires comes into play. Hmmm....

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 10-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
Mega-Contributor

I will have to admit that riding in the rain isn't a big concern for me, but this year I've ridden a lot in the rain, mostly on the Custer trip. However, I didn't go to the darkside until after Custer.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 10-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #13

+1 Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOMPUS

And, if I don't slow down then the wife starts rapping on the back of my helmet! ::)

2003 Bandit 1200
CMA GateKeepers, Southern Cruisers#034, Patriot Guard Rider

Old 10-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavor
Somebody told me following me in the rain was like following a ski boat.
Ski boat..........Good analogy.

The way I look at it is if you're dispersing water with deep enough tire tread it's a good thing. I also feel that I have more than one tire patch on a C/T due to the tread depth and design of the SP due to the fact there are grooves that run completely around the tire, so the tire in effect has sections of patches. (At least when going straight). If a C/T has a bigger tire patch and has more grooves to disperse water does it negate the theory of wider tire patches cause hydroplaning more easily. The design of the tire where it disperses water must also be a factor. (I don't remember any motorcycle tire that has as much tread character as a C/T.

Anyway, not trying to sell anything to anyone, just my thoughts. (Which don't amount to much because we're all going to do what we want in the long run). :) :)

Old 10-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
Advanced Member

When I was riding a motorcycle tire, it was worn out a pretty good percent of the time. I feel much safer with the car tire (with good tread on it for thousands of miles longer than a motorcycle tire) than a worn out motorcycle tire. I have ridden in several heavy rain conditions with the car tire, some where I couldn't see more than a few feet ahead, and did not hydroplane. Of course I was only going about 10 mph. :)