Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #1

Commuter cover options: half cover/awning?

Hi everyone! Great site and very informative reading. I will post some pics as soon as weather conditions improve. I love my recently purchased '05 and just cantrideunuf - especially when the fickle spring weather here in Central Oregon does its usual thing as is the case now.

I have pored through old posts and can't find any info regarding covers. Here is my dilema: when commuting to work I am burning multiple holes in my full cover when I attempt to throw in on the hot machine. So do I get a half cover? Can anyone recommend awnings? What do you commuters feel are the best options and brands for the Nomads? I just want to protect my baby from U/V exposure.

Thanks, and ride safe.

Bob

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-06-2009, 11:12 PM   #2

Welcome to the board Bob!

Another NW guy....I love it! I am not a commuter so I can't help with the cover but I am sure someone will jump in to help.

Make sure you visit the NW portion/forum so you can meet all the local guys.

I have a sister that lives in Bend so I am sure I will be your way sometime this summer.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 05-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantridenuf
Hi everyone! Great site and very informative reading. I will post some pics as soon as weather conditions improve. I love my recently purchased '05 and just cantrideunuf - especially when the fickle spring weather here in Central Oregon does its usual thing as is the case now.

I have pored through old posts and can't find any info regarding covers. Here is my dilema: when commuting to work I am burning multiple holes in my full cover when I attempt to throw in on the hot machine. So do I get a half cover? Can anyone recommend awnings? What do you commuters feel are the best options and brands for the Nomads? I just want to protect my baby from U/V exposure.

Thanks, and ride safe.

Bob
I just use the Kawasaki Nomad cover. With the crash-bars and bags, it doesn't touch anything hot enough to melt it. So, I haven't had the problem you are speaking of.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 05-07-2009, 06:52 AM   #4
Advanced Member

I bought a top cover off ebay for $10 delivered and use it everyday at work. Goes on in 30 seconds, keeps the sun, rain and bird sh*t off, stores easily in a bag, and yes you can burn holes in it. It just covers the seat and tank, but that's all I was looking for. This works for me and I have the same type of weather going on here in the Chicagoland area.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Advanced Member

I bought one of these "Qwik Shade" covers years ago for my 1500 classic
http://www.qwikshade.com/

Unless they've changed them since i bought mine they don't keep the rain off since they're not waterproof...but...they do keep the sun and UV's off. I loved mine, they roll up very compact so they take no room in the saddlebag, they're a breeze to put on and off and the husband / wife that own the business are great to deal with. very nice people. Hmmmm, I'll have to see if my one of the classic will work on the nomad, probably too small since they make one for touring bikes.

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
Mega-Contributor

I have a Dowco Guardian cover that I bought a couple of years back, but seldom used. Mostly because I'd get to work and then have to back to the parking lot 30 minutes later to put the cover on. I recently bought a Dowco Traveler cover that I haven't tried yet. It's a half cover which will keep the direct sunlight, tree droppings, and dust off the bike. We don't get much rain here, so rain protection is secondary.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #7

I just have a generic cover, I think its similar to the ones you see on Ebay, Im pretty sure that the lower panels in it are made of some heatproof material. I don't use it that often, mainly as a dust cover over winter.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #8

And I forgot to say "Welcome to the forum from Canada"

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Welcome Bob from TX. I just use a $20 full cover from wally world. I put it on hot and have had no burns. You can even leave out the muffler tips if your still worried about a melt down. the lower part is a durable material. Alot of guys use these on here.

Doc

Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #10

I use one of these. I cut a hole in it (with an iron on patch on each side) for the CB antenna to stick through.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=487

Old 05-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #11

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. Those Quickshades look pretty slick, and might be a great option both for commuting and touring since they should store up into a fairly compact bundle. They don't list one for the Nomads, though on their websight. I shot those folks an e-mail about fitting one onto a Nomad and will post their response later.

Bob

Old 05-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #12

For the guys in Canada, I just recieved my new Princess Auto catalog today. It has an XL bike cover on sale for $49.99. It seems like a good price since I paid about $69.99 for the one I have, and they appear to be about the same.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #13

I have a Dowco cover with the heat resistant panels in the bottom and when I ride to work,by the time I get my helmet off and my stuff ready to take with me the bike is cool enough to install the cover (6-8 minutes)
I am looking at 1/2 covers just for the reduced space needed and the ease to put on.