Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #31
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. We experienced this exact thing this summer and fall with the Michael Brown case. There was no doubt the news media kept this alive as long as they possibly could. Even giving demonstrators hints ahead of time as to where they should be demonstrating. Everyone I know is in agreement that the news media turned what should have been a standard investigation of fact into a sensationalized media feeding frenzy. We had news crews here from every part of the world covering all the hype.
Brown got what he asked for, but the chief made some real big mistakes. We should have known what the truth was from the get go. Instead, the mystery just fed it.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #32
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyRider View Post
About 20 years ago I was picking my wife up from a class that she was teaching at a language institute in Kenmore Square in Boston. There was a cop arresting a homeless person that wouldn't comply with him. The homeless person decided to fight instead of getting arrested. I got out of the car to see what was going on. The cop had the homeless person in a head lock. The homeless person had the cops holster unhooked and was reaching for his gun. I walked over, grabbed the guys arm, and then stood on it until the cop was able to get the person flipped over and get cuffs on him.

I don't see why the same wouldn't apply with so many cops on the scene. All you need is one other cop to help to subdue the person if they're already in a fight with one of them unless these cops can't fight for shit.

Things have sure changed since when I grew up. At 2 years old my father brought home a pair of boxing gloves and decided that I was old enough to settle any differences that I had with my older brother. I got my ass kicked so many times that I began to like it. As a young teenager going to school I spent quite a bit of time meeting someone out in the school yard. That was 50/50 on the wins and losses. When I went in to the service I started boxing. I kept fighting until I was in my 30's.

The kids today would just shoot me if I offered to fight with them. They don't know what it's like to just go out and settle your differences like a man. They actually think that they can get away with shooting someone. I think the same applies to the generation of cops that are hired in major metropolitan areas. They learn the basics of fighting but can't really defend themselves unless it's with a gun.
Some places used to and still put cops in pairs. If it can be done, it makes a lot of sense. One person alone will have to handle themselves. What was the old saying? One riot, one Ranger. I don't think people have that fortitude anymore. That said, boxing is fine, there are other arts that are useful, like Krav Maga and Aikido. I took the latter. It can be amazing to see people under control without a lot of effort. Then again, it's best not to get into trouble.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 03-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #33

They started putting them in pairs in Boston last year. It seems to work even though people still shoot at them.

At my age the only trouble that I can get in to is when I crouch down in the super market and have to ask my wife to help me up.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 03-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #34
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyRider View Post
They started putting them in pairs in Boston last year. It seems to work even though people still shoot at them.

At my age the only trouble that I can get in to is when I crouch down in the super market and have to ask my wife to help me up.
You can crouch down?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 03-04-2015, 12:57 AM   #35

Yes but I know I'm not getting up without help. I guess the years catch up quicker than we realize. As long as we can get our leg over the bike seat we're still doing good.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-04-2015, 02:17 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by napom View Post
........the Walter Cronkite era, where the news was the news . . .

I just read Sharyl Attkisson's book. This is so true. The media creates the news now days instead of reporting it.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I just read Sharyl Attkisson's book. This is so true. The media creates the news now days instead of reporting it.
Actually The news media has been naughty for quite a while now, as this article about Spanish American War will show:

1898: The Spanish-American War

CONTEXT Cubans fought several wars to free themselves from Spanish colonial rule, including 1868-1878, 1879-1880 and 1895-1898.12 In 1898, Cubans were on the brink of finally winning their independence. The US government agreed to respect Cuba’s sovereignty and promised they would not step in.

“On January 24, [1898] on the pretext of protecting the life and safety of Mr. Lee, U.S. consul in Havana, and other U.S. citizens in the face of street disturbances provoked by Spanish extremists, the Maine battleship entered the bay of Havana.”13

PRETEXT On February 15, 1898, a huge explosion sank the USS Maine killing 266 of its crew.14

In 1975, an investigation led by US Admiral Hyman Rickover concluded that there was no evidence of any external explosion. The explosion was internal, probably caused by a coal dust explosion. Oddly, the ship’s weapons and explosives were stored next to the coal bunker.15

RESPONSE The Maine’s commander cautioned against assumptions of an enemy attack. The press denounced him for “refusing to see the obvious.” The Atlantic Monthly said anyone thinking this was not a premeditated, Spanish act of war was “completely at defiance of the laws of probability.”16

Newspapers ran wild headlines like: “Spanish Cannibalism,” “Inhuman Torture,” “Amazon Warriors Fight For Rebels.”17 Guillermo Jimpnez Soler notes:

“As would become its usual practice, U.S. intervention in the war was preceded by intensive press campaigns which incited jingoism, pandering to the most shameless tales and sensationalism and exacerbated cheap sentimentality. Joseph Pulitzer of The World and William Randolph Hearst from The Journal, the two largest U.S. papers… carried their rivalry to a paroxysm of inflaming public opinion with scandalous, provocative and imaginary stories designed to win acceptance of U.S. participation in the first of its holy wars beyond its maritime borders.”18

US papers sent hundreds of reporters and photographers to cover the apparent Spanish attacks. Upon arrival, many were disappointed. Frederick Remington wrote to Hearst saying: “There is no war …. Request to be recalled.” Hearst’s now-famous cable replied: “Please remain. You furnish the pictures, I’ll furnish the war.” For weeks, The Journal dedicated more than eight pages per day to the explosion.19

Through ceaseless repetition, a rallying cry for retaliation grew into a roar. “In the papers, on the streets and in…Congress. The slogan was “Remember the Maine! To hell with Spain.”20

With the US public and government safely onboard, the US set sail for war launching an era of ‘gunboat diplomacy.’ Anti-war sentiments were drowned out by the sea of cries for war. On April 25, 1898, the US Congress declared war on Spain.

REAL REASONS Within four months “the US replaced Spain as the colonial power in the Philippines, Guam and Puerto Rico, and devised a special status for Cuba. Never again would the US achieve so much…as in that ‘splendid little war,’ as…described at the time by John Hay, future secretary of state.”21

Historian Howard Zinn has said that 1898 heralded:

“the most dramatic entrance onto the world scene of American military and economic power.… The war ushered in what Henry Luce later referred to as the American Century, which really meant a century of American domination.”22

Old 03-04-2015, 04:17 AM   #38

And they are doing it again today in the Ukraine for very much the same reason's,but this time it aint going to work out so well,especially for those of us who are living close by and depend on peacefull trading arrangement's with Russia.