Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Mega-Contributor

My latest addition

I decided to try using different lowers to reduce or hopefully, eliminate the turbulence that causes head buffeting. I obtained a pattern from Idaho for his lowers, but hadn't gotten around to buying the acrylic and making a pair. I recently bought some 3" riser spacers from Chuckster. I found out he also makes lowers, so I ordered a set on Wednesday. Cost was less than $50. They arrived yesterday. He has recently made a design change by extending them about 2" at the top. I installed them last night and here's a picture:

I also adjusted my windshield to the lowest setting. I test rode the bike today on my personal test course, aka Gila River Indian Community. GRIC has a couple of state highways running through it and one of them is a mile from my house. Good road, 65 MPH posted speed. I decided to wear my Bell Drifter 1/2 helmet, because it seems to buffet the worst out of all my helmets. Weather conditions were sunny, 85 degrees F, slight breeze. I took off down the highway and accelerated to 80 MPH as indicated by the speedo. I checked the "pocket", which is the space directly in front of my stomach and chest, and didn't feel the usual air flow coming up off the tank. If there was any, it was minimal.

At 80 (anything > 65 really), my helmet would usually be rattling so much it made me unable to focus my eyes, leading to an eventual headache. I ran it like this for about 5 miles, then turned onto another road to go back home. I was pleased with the results. I wish I'd had them before I went on the ride I did yesterday, when I hit speeds nearing 95MPH (indicated).

I'm going to keep things as-is for awhile and really put some miles on before I can say one way or the other if this is a definitive solution. I'll update this thread as I get more seat time with this set up.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #2

My latest addition

Did you ever try the bike without the lowers?

Old 03-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #3

My latest addition

I was on the gadget site and there was a new item about tilting the windshield back to reduce the buffetting.The author said it made a big difference.iI am going to give it a try first chance I get.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

My latest addition

No, I guess it never occurred to me to try the bike without the lowers. Have you?

If enough of us are working on this, maybe we'll come up with the optimal solution. Personally, I'd rather not have to use lowers, as I really don't care for the look of them, but sometimes ya gots to do what ya gots to do.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Top Contributor

My latest addition

You won't want to even ride CJ w/o the lowers, even the stock ones help some. I made large lowers and it does eliminate alot of the head buffeting but still not ALL. im still looking for that magic envelope. LOL

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

My latest addition

Quote:
You won't want to even ride CJ w/o the lowers, even the stock ones help some. I made large lowers and it does eliminate alot of the head buffeting but still not ALL. im still looking for that magic envelope. LOL
We all are...

The reason I say it never crossed my mind to ride without them is because my previous bike didn't have any and the turbulence was horrible. I broke down and bought a set of Value Accessories lowers for it and it made a vast improvement. I figured if the Nomad came stock with them, it must be because it needs them to make it rideable.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 03-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #7

My latest addition

Cactus,

I made a set last summer that went all the way up to the curve of the windshield. and were wide enough so I had to notch out for the engine guard bar.

They worked great, the only problem was I made them out of plain old plexiglass, and a one day at the Wal-Mart parking lot a shopping cart rolled into one and broke one side off.

I was luck it hit the plexiglass instead of the gas tank.

I made a new set recently out of Lexan (much stringer) that fill in the area between the factory lowers and the windshield. Have'nt had much of a chance to try them out yet, we still have snow.

Still waiting

Terbear

Old 03-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #8

My latest addition

I installed Edmonds lowers and couldn't be happier. That's with the windshield at its lowest setting too.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #9

My latest addition

I picked up a set of very large lowers off ebay, the look very similar in style to yours. When I first got the bike I found the buffeting not too bad, but really wasn't sure if it was buffeting or just normal wind turbulence by my helmet. I have my shield all the way up ( I'm 6.2 ) and I noticed the best improvement when I installed my soft lowers and took her for a ride. I could not believe the overall difference. At 60mph no buffeting what so ever, I may leave the soft lowers on for some time until the weather gets hotter. You should try it and see.

Plus, I believe that your upper body location in relation to your shield may put people in the " buffet zone " more than others. I sit way back in the seat because of my long legs and seem to miss the bad area for buffeting. Not sure, just MHO

Old 03-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #10

My latest addition

After a hard days ride my beard looks fresh, and tangle-free and I owe it all to Idaho. His style of lowers is the reason I'm still beautiful after hundreds of grueling miles!

I used Lexan with windshield lowered - Lexan cost me $17.

If these aren't the best for buffeting, which I had very little with stock lowers anyway, and these did reduce what I had, they're at least one of the best looking. Coming all the way up to the windshield, the contour is well done. I would buy these again. Oh wait, I didn't buy these

Idaho gave me the drawings, and you can have them next if you'd like to cut your own lowers out or have a plastic shop do it for very little more I'd guess. Just send an email with an address.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #11

My latest addition

Quote:
No, I guess it never occurred to me to try the bike without the lowers. Have you?

If enough of us are working on this, maybe we'll come up with the optimal solution. Personally, I'd rather not have to use lowers, as I really don't care for the look of them, but sometimes ya gots to do what ya gots to do.
No, I haven't. But I would like to give it a try soon. Maybe even before we meet in Mesquite!

The only bike I've seen with big lowers is BD's and he said they were great.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt
My latest addition

I too used Idaho's design and man... talk about a difference!! I've said it before, but being 6'1" and being able to light a cigarette w/ a zippo at 70mph was something very different...and very pleasing!! I too brought mine up a little more than Idaho's..almost to the windshield.. I love it!!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:47 PM   #13
Mega-Contributor

My latest addition

I have the template from Idaho for his lowers. I just didn't get around to making them yet. I saw these were available and I thought I'd give them a try. If they don't work, I will make my own from Idaho's template. I do like them so far, but time will tell. Unfortunately, I don't ride in other than city traffic at speeds averaging 45 MPH during the week, so next weekend's ride should give me a better idea of how well they work.

I do have a Mustang seat, which raises you up and moves you forward a bit, so that might also have something to do with it. I sit all the way back in the seat, also.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 03-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #14

My latest addition

I don't use the lowers during the summer months - I'll take any air I can get. I generally put them back on for the winter months. I am 5'9" - the windshield is all the way up and I honestly can't say buffeting is much of a problem for me. It doesn't blow the helmet around enough to bother me.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:35 AM   #15

My latest addition

I bought the larger lowers from the same guy last spring. They made a BIG difference!! Way nicer riding. IMHO
VBA #00671