Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 09-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #16

Another lesson learned today the hard way

Well I rode to work today with no problems.
rksaw: reminder was the whole point of the post, just wish I wasn't the one giving the reminder.

schoneney: well the tough part is to really find out if you are on your game you must be presented a challenge, just thinking you are may not be so.

moenko:black eye instead of a beat down is still embarrassing.

todd: wiser I hope so.

cactusjack: so we are taking turns at this, now that's a scare thought.

AL STRAUSS "CHAINSAW": Yeap cause the F game could be fatal.

Dan Lund: well practice makes perfect is what they say, but the problem is the factors and variables are always in different states of change. But I should practice more. This is the biggest bike I have ever owned and got it in February. Last bike was 750 shadow and before that had several dual sport bikes and grew up on trail bikes of the mid 70's. Been down on the dirt before but this was first road experience and I didn't care much for it.

audiogooroo: you should have seen the ride home.

waterman: yeap that's it in a nutshell pay attention

abbo: but that's the catch 22 you really don't know if you are in your A game unless you're tested.

Joe (mrfuni): well I don't mind telling you and I glad to be here but this is only one of the stupid things I have done.

Ells: Well I did that rear end thing in a car once you would have thought I learned something. Guess I needed refresher.

johnb: well I have replayed that several times and the only conclusion is that I did meet my goal I did not hit the car in front of me.

kawgirl: I will say the jacket did make a difference. And yes it is hot in the summer but so is a helmet. I try to commit to them on each ride.

Thanks guys for the responses and hope it's just a reminder that it happens fast but feels like forever. And even though I rode the bike home it still makes you second guess your ability or confidence and in my case a little embarrassing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #17

Tim, thanks for sharing with us as a lot of people wouldn't due to embarrassment. It reminds us all
to be alert at all times.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:50 AM   #18

Tim, I'm glad that you got back on the bike today. I'm also glad that your wife let you get back on so quickly...I'm sure that she was a little anxious too.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #19

It could have been a lot worse, its good to here it was rather minor overall. Get well quick and ride safe.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #20

WHAT A RIDE!! I'm glad you're ok! Thats amazing you could get right on your bike and ride home..Last time I went down I didn't fair so well. The bike can be fixed a lot quicker and cheaper than you can...Glad you're ok man.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #21
Top Contributor

What wolfman said. Glad you're OK!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 09-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #22

Well got my left engine guard and bag guard today from local kawa dealer. Pretty easy to replace and they are one of the better things about the nomad since they do prevent a lot of damage. Like it's been said the bike easy and faster to fix. The rash is healing just fine. Now getting out of bed the last two mornings, things have been a little stiff especially the right leg. But once I up and moving things loosen up.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #23

There's ya some Karma for fast healing :)

Old 09-26-2008, 12:42 AM   #24

Skimo,

Really sorry to hear about your accident, but thanks for the detailed report.. I think the blow-by-blow recap of the incident helps us all understand what happened and how, and maybe allows others to learn from your mistake.. and let's face it, we all make mistakes any one of us could do the same thing tomorrow..

Its so easy to "day dream" and get distracted as you ride.

I have a view about driving cars and riding bikes, that you WILL 100% be in accidents during your life.. maybe 1 every 10 years or so.... so I hope this was yours for the next 10 years... you got off OK, so you're in the clear !

Also glad to hear about the jacket.. I wear a nylon jacket (Olympia) and its good to hear reports of people "road testing" nylon with good results ;)

Brian

Old 09-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #25

Tim glad you're ok. I agree those guards on the nomad are great. I went down on my bike about year or so ago and those guards saved my bike from suffering a bunch of damage.....and me. keeps that weight off from you.
I take away from your description of the accident:

Be in the present. If you're day dreaming/in deep thought....you're not all there.
Be alert to what's happening up ahead.
Be sure we practice our riding skills on a regular basis ie: emergency braking and sweerving. They do degrade over time ( short time) if we don't practice them.

I appreciate you sharing your story. We can all learn much from them.

thanks and stay safe

vin

Old 09-28-2008, 08:05 AM   #26

Hey Tim...glad you're okay. I too thank you for sharing. I used to wear a summer riding jacket all the time but like Kawgirl have left it hanging at home for quiet a while (bad girl ::)).
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing