Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #1

Hard day at work today!

My Department got two new 2010 Harley Davidson police bikes. My job today was to break one in. What a rough way to make a living. So does this make me a professional rider since I was paid?

The HD police bikes are different, from my understanding, that they have shorter handle bars for maneuverability and the seat is air cushioned. All the Harley riders where surprised at how high you sat up on this bike.

My thoughts on the bike was it was a smoother ride then my Nad except when you stopped at a light then it shook you to death. The shifting was more difficult. On my Nad I always up shift with the heel and shift down with the toe shifter. The heel shifter on the HD was a pain and I soon stopped using it. The toe shifter on the HD seemed like it didn’t stick out enough and I missed it a few times. The HD was far more maneuverable and easier to turn then my Nad. The HD seat was so much more comfortable, but I missed my grasshopper back rest. The only problem with the seat is when you took off it felt like you would roll off of the back due to the air suspension, but when going over bumps you didn’t feel them. The HD was quicker and had a lot more umph.

This was my first experience on a HD and I look forward to riding it while at work. If I had to choose between the HD and the Nad I would take the HD in a heartbeat, but then I would sell the HD and buy another Nad and deck it out and pocket the money I had left over.

When I got home I took the Nad out to feel the difference. I felt like I was riding a low rider since I sat so much higher up on the HD. The Nad wasn’t as maneuverable, but I have to admit that I love my Nad more then I like the HD and look how much less money it is.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #2

Hard day at work today!

What a hard day you must have had riding for a living

Old 02-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Hard day at work today!

Very cool! I'm really jealous now though, I was just talking earlier with a guy at work, wondering why we don't have motors at my dept.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #4

Hard day at work today!

Man that's a rough job but somebody's gotta do it. :'(

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #5

Hard day at work today!

If I had a job like yours ... Retirement would never have been a option ... Forced retirement ... at gun point maybe ... But they'd never take me out alive ... ;)

BTW ... The money gap has closed quite a bit in the last 6 to 7 years. When I bought my 03 Nomad new here in Toronto, a Harley Road King back then was about $18,000 more. Today the price difference here between a new Nomad and a Road King is less than $3000. ... So are Harleys getting cheaper or are Nomads getting a little more expensive?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #6

Hard day at work today!

I promoted up and by the time my Department got around to getting some Harleys I would have had to take a demotion to ride them. So, I just decided to by my Nomad instead and ride when, where and how I wanted. A lot less dangerous than riding in traffic all day pulling people over. Motor cops get hit by cagers all the time. I have several buddies who have been hit and then their career is over. I do switch off with my brother and buddies once in a while but I always look forward to getting on my Nad. The only Harley I would even think about buying would be an Ultra-Classic.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #7

Hard day at work today!

I would recognize those cross pistols anywhere. "Military Police". I got my start as an MP back in "1976". Been in law enforcement every since.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #8

Hard day at work today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
If I had a job like yours ... Retirement would never have been a option ... Forced retirement ... at gun point maybe ... But they'd never take me out alive ... ;)

BTW ... The money gap has closed quite a bit in the last 6 to 7 years. When I bought my 03 Nomad new here in Toronto, a Harley Road King back then was about $18,000 more. Today the price difference here between a new Nomad and a Road King is less than $3000. ... So are Harleys getting cheaper or are Nomads getting a little more expensive?
I too have noticed the price gap getting smaller and smaller. A new 2010 Nomad cost $15199. A new 2010 Road King is $16999. Only an $1800 difference.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 02-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #9

Hard day at work today!

I still think you get more with the Nomad at least when I bought mine it did.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:56 AM   #10

Hard day at work today!

One of the biggest $$$ is the aftermarket for the HD. Especially if you have to have HD on everything.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #11

Hard day at work today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist
I too have noticed the price gap getting smaller and smaller. A new 2010 Nomad cost $15199. A new 2010 Road King is $16999. Only an $1800 difference.
I used the Canadian price because in 03 I had it down to either the Nomad or the RK .... I could not believe the after taxes out the door price of the RK back then .... So I stuck to the Canadian prices for the today's comparison. But it sure is amazing that the diff in price is now only $1800.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #12

Hard day at work today!

I, too, looked at the RK before deciding on the Nomad, and the price was the issue. One of the things HD still does is some dealers price them DSRP--Dealer suggested retail price. Often that really hikes the cost up, but I understand there is less and less of that now. The other thing is, while HD's are certainly more reliable than they used to be, their reliability seems to be hit and miss. Some guys never see the inside of a shop while others are always in the shop or broke down on the side of the road. The Nomad has a solid reputation for reliability and that means a lot to me. So far I'm satisfied with my purchase of the '10 Nomad.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #13

Hard day at work today!

When I was shopping for my bike, I narrowed it down to a HD and the Nomad. The price wasn't much different while the HD was stock. After adding to it the extras that the Nomad has, the price gap started to grow. I ended up with a 2008 Nomad and love it.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to bokobob
Hard day at work today!

Never rode a RoadKing but sure love my 07 Nomad...Bought it barely used for a reasonable price and it had a good number of costly add ons as well..

Old 02-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #15

Hard day at work today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick187

The HD was far more maneuverable and easier to turn then my Nad.
Ahh.. now I have an excuse for why the keyhole exercise is difficult for me!

I think that a Nomad is better looking than a regular RK, but I think the RK Classic is just as good looking.

I keep coming back for the 6 years of warranty. I hate unexpected expenses.