Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
J&M Lesson learned

Some of you will remember that I was lucky enough to be first on the scene after another member posted a J&M CB and XM satelite radio for sale. Well, I finally got it and, after purchasing a new headset, installed everything on the bike. I left the cables tied up as the previous owner had them which meant that most of the leads, headset-aux input- etc, was wadded up under the tank on top of the engine. When I started the bike I had a click in the headsets that sounded like an inductive pickup from a spark plug wire.

Yesterday I tore the bike down and moved everything. I opened the wire harness bundles from the previous guy and moved the extra cable to the area between the fork tubes behind the chrome fork tube cover. I remembered that someone else said that is where they put the extra wire.

Sure enough, the problem is solved. No more inductive pickup. No more click. As I was rewireing everything it occured to me that I knew better that to jam all of the wires together like I did.
The only leads that run the length of the bike now are the power cord and the antenna cable. I used wire ties to keep everything together between the forks.

So, I have admitted my error to spare some of you the same issues.

The CB does not have much range but I love the audio and the XM radio is awesome.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #2

J&M Lesson learned

Idaho...when I read the other post about having a bad hum and popping on the J&M setup I started to reply. Being an old CB'er from the 60's and a HAM operator, I learned early on not to bundle your wires (especially not to coil your antenna), but decided I'd not respond and keep from embarrassing myself because the solution couldn't be that simple.
Glad you got your problem solved.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
J&M Lesson learned

Hi Mikey, Yep, I knew better too, but thought that it may benefit someone else to post this lesson just the same.

Sometimes we have a tendency to ignore the rules and think they won't apply, or we will get lucky. Duh-oh.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter