Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 05-12-2015, 12:13 AM   #46

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
I just picked up a Savage BMag in .17 WSM. I haven't shot it much just yet, just enough to get the scope sighted in with no rest (hitting a 4" target at 100 yards-3" spread). Yeah I'm a shaky old fart. I then added a bi-pod and I'll get a chance to check it out next week on some dogs in Montana.

Shoots a 20 grain ballistic tip bullet @ 3000 fps at the muzzle. 3 1/2" bullet drop at 200 yards and still maintaining over 2000 fps. Supposed to be the fastest rim fire ever made. Should work nicely for varmints up to coyote size.
I'm sure that .17 will be fun on prairie dogs but I would think it would be a little light on Coyotes. Let us know how it works.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-12-2015, 12:15 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
I polished the trigger and replaced the spring a few days ago, as well as polishing the bolt. It now has a 1lb pull on the trigger, and almost zero creep with a nice clean break. The bolt slides back and forth beautifully, but does hang up a tiny bit during feeding when using unplated bullets, plated bullets load perfectly.Ive been shooting it a 50 yards and can usually put 3 bullets in the same hole, one a 1/4" away and usually one flyer in the group. That was using Federal Match ammo, I'll try some CCI's and some RWS or Eley if I can find it. My goal for this rifle is for it to shoot consistent 3/8" groups, but will have to pillar block it most likely to get there. I also think I need a more solid bench rest as the one I'm using is a cheapy and wobbles a bit.
Good luck with the new barrel, hopefully it will make a difference for you, mine has a hammer forged barrel and it should be ok as is.
Sounds like you've done some nice work on the trigger and action. I put a Savage target spring in my trigger and it is MUCH nicer now. I contacted McGowen about the processing time for my order and was told 12 to 15 weeks. Rats. Summer will be over by that time.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 05-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #48

disclosure: I only read the first two pages, so i apologize if this has been covered already.

if you are reloading your own .223 and ensuring everything is identical in each cartridge, then the issue with your spacing is either breathing, trigger control, or wind. I have no idea what type sights you're using, but assuming your eye relief is consistent, eye sight good, and scope adjustied for windage and elevation, the only other variable is your breathing and trigger control. 1 inch grouping at 100 yards is better than most people i've shot with in the military. that's actually good enough to qualify expert on some ranges.

that said, if you absolutely swear that your technique is perfect and it must be your ammo, then I would suggest using 55gr BTHP from http://www.RMRbullets.com and use vhitavouri N133 at 23.9gr. i set my seating depth so that my COL is exactly 2.240. These loads consistently get me exactly 3200fps. I only use CCI small-rifle magnum primers and used brassi pick up from the base range. With my 16" 1in9 barrel, I'm hitting, on average, 10 rounds in a 1/2inch spread at 300yards with a milspec M5Xi 5-25x56 scope. on the indoor range at 25yards, my targets usually only have one hole in them when i'm done (which is rather irritating at times).

Old 05-12-2015, 11:31 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
I'm sure that .17 will be fun on prairie dogs but I would think it would be a little light on Coyotes. Let us know how it works.

I read one article and the gent video documented his "sight-in" and then a weekend of hunting. He shot several ground squirrels (looked like prairie dogs to me), a jack rabbit, and a coyote. All shots were one shot kills and the visual damage was obvious. The bullet energy at 100 yards is supposedly as good as .17 Hornet (centerfire). Most shots were under 100 yard.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #50

oh, and...

before i get flamed, that scope is my primary for my .300 weatherby magnum. i dont ordinarily use it on my AR. I just like to reach out and touch elk at 700yards with the weatherby. i like my iron sights on the AR and i can always attach the reflex red dot if SHTF.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-16-2015, 11:53 PM   #51

Here is an update. The McGowan barrel finally arrived and the gunsmith got it mounted on the action and the stock opened up to make sure it is not touching wood.

I broke in the barrel by shooting one round and cleaning the barrel, then another and clean and so on for 5 rounds, then I did 5 sets of two rounds the same way and then 5 sets of four rounds. I used cheap UMC FMJ for the break in. They were 55 gr and I really did not expect them to shoot well in the 1-8 twist varmint barrel.

Back at my bench I measure the distance to the lands of the new barrel for three different bullets; 70gr Berger VLDs, 75gr A-Max and 55gr V-Max bullets. Good thing I did because the throat is a LOT shorter on this new barrel than it was on the factory tube.

I loaded all of my test rounds a few thousands off of the lands. (I can make them touch if I want with this new barrel)

At the range today a friend had a chronograph set up so we put my handloads through while I shot for groups. The 75gr A-Max over 23 gr of H335 gave me a 1/2 inch group of four shots. The fifth one measured at 68fps less than the other four and was 1/2 inch away from the others to open the group up to 1 inch.

A test load of Varget gave the same results.

Now, I'm convinced that if I can pay closer attention to the accuracy of my powder charges I can tighten my groups up to a ragged hole. That is my goal. Tomorrow I'm going to go shopping for a powder trickler and set my beam powder scale up at eye level so that it will be easier to use.

I'm going to like this new McGowan barrel.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 08-17-2015, 06:44 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
Here is an update. The McGowan barrel finally arrived and the gunsmith got it mounted on the action and the stock opened up to make sure it is not touching wood.

I broke in the barrel by shooting one round and cleaning the barrel, then another and clean and so on for 5 rounds, then I did 5 sets of two rounds the same way and then 5 sets of four rounds. I used cheap UMC FMJ for the break in. They were 55 gr and I really did not expect them to shoot well in the 1-8 twist varmint barrel.

Back at my bench I measure the distance to the lands of the new barrel for three different bullets; 70gr Berger VLDs, 75gr A-Max and 55gr V-Max bullets. Good thing I did because the throat is a LOT shorter on this new barrel than it was on the factory tube.

I loaded all of my test rounds a few thousands off of the lands. (I can make them touch if I want with this new barrel)

At the range today a friend had a chronograph set up so we put my handloads through while I shot for groups. The 75gr A-Max over 23 gr of H335 gave me a 1/2 inch group of four shots. The fifth one measured at 68fps less than the other four and was 1/2 inch away from the others to open the group up to 1 inch.

A test load of Varget gave the same results.

Now, I'm convinced that if I can pay closer attention to the accuracy of my powder charges I can tighten my groups up to a ragged hole. That is my goal. Tomorrow I'm going to go shopping for a powder trickler and set my beam powder scale up at eye level so that it will be easier to use.

I'm going to like this new McGowan barrel.
Bud some very interesting reading! Thanks for going through all this and posting your results! I have learned a lot! I am planning on getting back into reloading soon mainly pistols ! But will be picking up a rifle to target shoot with. :) Looking forward to your next chapter :)

Rich

Old 08-19-2015, 11:15 PM   #53

Here is another update. THIS BARREL IS AWESOME!!!! :-)

I carefully loaded a few test rounds and paid attention to getting every powder charge as close as possible. It paid off. I shot several ragged holes. One six shot group can almost be covered by a dime! Another 3 shot test group can be covered with a dime. I know that I can get these closer by getting anal with identical bullet weights, dual weighing the powder charges, weighing the primers and checking case capacity. I'm now a happy camper.

If any of you need to replace the barrel on your rifle I can honestly say that you should give McGowen Barrels a look.

The factory tomato stake would not throw different bullet weights anywhere near the same point of impact, by INCHES!! This barrel had no problem making ragged holes with slightly different points of impact between 75 grain and 55 grain bullets. NICE!
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter