Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 01-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #31

Unfortunately right now the smallest centerfire I have is the .270. I've been looking at .223 but in an AR frame. I've checked and there isn't much for used bolt action around here in .223 anyway. However I have to sell a few pieces out of my quiver to warrant the spend to my wife. I am going to dig the reload stuff out though which will bring back some good memories. My Dad made lots of notes and recorded all his load info, good or bad because he knew it would be me reading through it.
VBA #02217
06 Nomad
Buy the ticket, Take the ride.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #32
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Unfortunately right now the smallest centerfire I have is the .270. I've been looking at .223 but in an AR frame. I've checked and there isn't much for used bolt action around here in .223 anyway. However I have to sell a few pieces out of my quiver to warrant the spend to my wife. I am going to dig the reload stuff out though which will bring back some good memories. My Dad made lots of notes and recorded all his load info, good or bad because he knew it would be me reading through it.
The 270 is a fine caliber and can be tailored to shoot all sorts of game, but if I needed one rifle to shoot varmints to deer sized game and needed it to reach out, I'd get a .257 Weatherby. They shoot very well and have very good range. A 240 Weatherby which is a lot like a 6mm-06 would be poison on coyotes and the like too. That said, I've owned a genuine colt HBAR and it's not a bolt action rifle in terms of precision. They can be a lot of fun, but the initial hit today is a lot.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 01-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
A friend and I hit the range with a chronograph last Sunday and I learned a few things. My powder scale is doing a great job of throwing consistent loads. I also learned that different brass will shoot differently for the same load.

I bought a box of Nosler 55 gr ballistic tips and loaded up several test load groups. They were all over the place. The chronograph told us that I still have room for max loads but my best groups have been with reduced loads so far.

I've ordered a Rifle Basix SAV-1 trigger and 300 cases of cleaned and prepped LC brass. I'm hoping that using consistent cases and a nice light - crisp trigger will help the accuracy even more. Oh, since I had my best group yet with 40 gr ballistic tips I've ordered a box of 45 gr spitzers to try.

The chronograph also told us that factory 69gr Match ammo had the exact same muzzle velocity as one of my reduced loads. I always thought that manufacturers generally loaded close to max loads.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 01-06-2015, 09:43 PM   #34
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post

The chronograph also told us that factory 69gr Match ammo had the exact same muzzle velocity as one of my reduced loads. I always thought that manufacturers generally loaded close to max loads.
I think they try to average out some power to save money and it also depends on what gun or barrel the load was tested on for the published ballistics. My .30-06 has a 24" barrel, so it should do well as most ballistics are published with a 22". If you have a short barreled gun, good luck.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 01-07-2015, 05:52 AM   #35

223 grouping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
Well, I've reloaded for my 44mag for 35 years and I'm about to take the plunge into reloading for long guns. I bought a Savage .223 last year that refuses to give good groups no matter what ammo I put through it. I've tried all kinds of bullet weights, from different manufacturers including "Match" ammo from two different companies and handloads from friends with no luck. The only one close to acceptable was 40 gr ballistic tips but it still only gave 1 inch groups at 100 yards. (I want to stack them) As a last resort to turning the rifle over to a gunsmith for some serious stock work I've decided to try reloading my own. That way I can control bullet seating depth, powder charge, primer, powder, etc. My first attempt will be with Barnes 69 gr Match Burners. This is going to be fun. (may as well, it's winter in Idaho and not many chances to ride)
We share the long time 44 loading, I started crimping 240 grain Speers in1966.
is your Savage a single shot break open type?
As you will find reloading bottlenecks is trickier than straight case.
Anyway right off hand I would be looking at shoulder space just to get it right for starters.
In all likelihood seating depth was to far back on tho see 40 grains.
The nice thing on a breach loader or bolt action, is you can mark the slug that you have not finish crimped yet, with a sharpie and gently stuff it in chamber. You want it to where it just kisses the lands. Then try out a few rounds.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #36

Well, I got a three round group that is covered by a quarter at 100 yards. 55 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips over 25 grains of Varget. Still not done. I want them touching. Now I'm going to pay REAL close attention to my powder charges and get a primer pocket uniformer to make sure everything is the same on the back end.

I've tried to load my bullets closer to the lands but when I do the magazine spring pushes the rounds up too far and they don't feed worth a crap. I need to stick with recommended cartridge OAL.

I plan to experiment with small changes in powder charge to see if I can dial in the accuracy that I'm looking for.

You are right about the difference between loading rifle and pistol cartridges. The thousands of 44mag that I loaded were NEVER a problem. Maybe because a handgun can't realize the same level of accuracy as a long gun from a bench. Don't know. I was always very happy just dropping the hammer on heavy loads and hitting what I aimed at with the pistol. I want tack driving accuracy with the rifle.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Last edited by Idaho; 02-01-2015 at 10:46 PM.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:25 AM   #37

While cleaning the rifle I stood it up on the butt plate and loosened the action screws and the action and barrel settled down into the stock. At that point I knew that I was chasing my tail so I turned the gun over to a gunsmith friend who will glass bed the action. I'm expecting that to help hold the action in one spot in the stock so that I can get the accuracy that I'm looking for. He only works on Fridays and two have now passed with no word from him. I'm hoping that next week I will hear from him.
In the meantime I still have my 25-06 to chase coyotes. I expect that rifle will blow a dog apart if I hit one but at least I can get out of the house.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 03-06-2015, 09:45 PM   #38

After getting the action bedded I still got unworthy results so I went to work with a dremel tool and floated the tang. Then I loaded up a group of handloads with 3 different powder charges of Varget pushing 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and 69gr Barnes Match Burners. Finally got respectable groups over 23 gr of Varget. Today I bought a box of Berger 70 gr VLDs and plan to load some up this weekend and see how good those are. Getting excited now.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 03-07-2015, 09:31 AM   #39

It sounds like your going the right direction Bud. Did the gunsmith also put pillar blocks in the stock or just bed the action? Also is the barrel free floated?

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #40

Update and success!!
A friend at work gave me some of his handloads. Two different loads with different bullets and powder. One gave me close to what I've been looking for. I loaded up the same load, or so I thought, and went to the range and they shot crappy. A little research and I found out that he loaded 55 gr FLAT BASE ballistic tips and I loaded 55 gr BOATTAIL ballistic tips. I bought a box of flat base bullets and loaded up a bunch of test rounds. I started with his load and then went up 3 tenths of a grain and jumped two tenths after that up to the next full grain of powder. His load plus 3 tenths gave me a four shot group at 100 yards that measured 1/2 inch. YES!! I finally got the ragged hole that I've been looking for!! I feel like doing handsprings I'm so fricken happy.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 04-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #41

A lot of work but wow great results! Very nice grouping :)

Old 04-18-2015, 05:35 PM   #42

It sounds like you figured it out at last, I'll be doing a lot of the same on my .22 target rifle. It needs some pillar bedding, the trigger stoned and lightened, and it too should improve.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #43

Good luck Ring, it is always fun to try to get the most accuracy out of a firearm. Usually the guy pulling the trigger is the limiting factor.

I'm still not done with my .223. While I get a good group one time the next trip to the range gives lousy results with the same loads. After that happening a LOT I've decided that it is the barrel. I've ordered another barrel from McGowen. It will be a 26 inch varmint barrel with a 1-8 twist. That will allow me to shoot 55 to 75 grain bullets which is where I want to be.

Don't remember if I've posted this here before but in the course of this project I began to seriously consider that my accuracy problem could be me. A friend at the range let me shoot two of his rifles and without really trying I was able to stack bullets into one ragged hole with each one. That let me focus back on the hardware.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 05-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #44

I polished the trigger and replaced the spring a few days ago, as well as polishing the bolt. It now has a 1lb pull on the trigger, and almost zero creep with a nice clean break. The bolt slides back and forth beautifully, but does hang up a tiny bit during feeding when using unplated bullets, plated bullets load perfectly.Ive been shooting it a 50 yards and can usually put 3 bullets in the same hole, one a 1/4" away and usually one flyer in the group. That was using Federal Match ammo, I'll try some CCI's and some RWS or Eley if I can find it. My goal for this rifle is for it to shoot consistent 3/8" groups, but will have to pillar block it most likely to get there. I also think I need a more solid bench rest as the one I'm using is a cheapy and wobbles a bit.
Good luck with the new barrel, hopefully it will make a difference for you, mine has a hammer forged barrel and it should be ok as is.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-10-2015, 12:06 AM   #45

I just picked up a Savage BMag in .17 WSM. I haven't shot it much just yet, just enough to get the scope sighted in with no rest (hitting a 4" target at 100 yards-3" spread). Yeah I'm a shaky old fart. I then added a bi-pod and I'll get a chance to check it out next week on some dogs in Montana.

Shoots a 20 grain ballistic tip bullet @ 3000 fps at the muzzle. 3 1/2" bullet drop at 200 yards and still maintaining over 2000 fps. Supposed to be the fastest rim fire ever made. Should work nicely for varmints up to coyote size.