Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
Top Contributor

1k ride over the weekend to MO

I posted this in the South Central section, but I wanted to report it and ask the question I posed there too.

This last weekend I made a trip up to see someone special in Jefferson City, MO and took the bike because I just felt the need for a good long ride. I left Thursday night about 8 p.m. from Mesquite and arrived at 7:30 am. It got considerably colder as the ride went on and fatigue started to set in, but I got food and coffee and arrived safe and sound. No deer decided to cross my path but I did see some eyes on the side.

The ride home I left at 7:30 am and got to my BACA chapter meeting at 5. One problem, I didn't put any sunscreen on and the lower part of my face looks like a damn tomato! But what a ride.

However, and a question for you long riders here. Do you ever get a pain in your right side from holding the throttle so much? I noticed it on the ride home. When I pulled my arm back, like in a rowing motion, it hurt and I had to keep stretching. Anyone ever felt that? and if you did, any idea of the cause?
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Where on the right side? Shoulder, elbow, forearm?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB,voices tell me evil things
I posted this in the South Central section, but I wanted to report it and ask the question I posed there too.

This last weekend I made a trip up to see someone special in Jefferson City, MO and took the bike because I just felt the need for a good long ride. I left Thursday night about 8 p.m. from Mesquite and arrived at 7:30 am. It got considerably colder as the ride went on and fatigue started to set in, but I got food and coffee and arrived safe and sound. No deer decided to cross my path but I did see some eyes on the side.

The ride home I left at 7:30 am and got to my BACA chapter meeting at 5. One problem, I didn't put any sunscreen on and the lower part of my face looks like a damn tomato! But what a ride.

However, and a question for you long riders here. Do you ever get a pain in your right side from holding the throttle so much? I noticed it on the ride home. When I pulled my arm back, like in a rowing motion, it hurt and I had to keep stretching. Anyone ever felt that? and if you did, any idea of the cause?
Not since I installed my cruise control...
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #4

Yes I used to get that and now use a simple throttle lock to give the right hand a break. I also have ISO grips with the throtlle boss so I can strech out my hand and keep the speed up by just resting my palm on it. I did modify it to make it slightly larger for my big mitt.

You can get the simple Cramp Buster that slide onto your existing grip to do what the throttle boss does but I have not tried that.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Top Contributor

In my rib area. I have a throttle lock and iso grips, but I guess I didn't use them enough to give myself the break I needed. But after a while it really began to sting.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss

Todd and BD

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #6

I get some shoulder pain sometimes during long rides. I think it is more being out of riding shape. If I have taken some longer rides (300+ miles) then I don't get it after a few of them.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 04-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #7

I never have, but this might help. Sometimes on a long ride, I finally notice that I'm holding onto the bars (on one side, or both sides), as if someone is pulling the bars forward and I'm holding pressure rearwards. Then I have to tell myself to relax. With a drivers backrest, there is no need to pull into the bars. You just have to rest your hands on the bars.

Even after telling myself to relax and quite pulling the bars, I eventually notice that I'm building up tension from pulling, and I have to tell myself to relax and just rest my arms on the bars.

Don't know if you were doing that, but if so it could have fatigued a set of muscles needlessly.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
I never have, but this might help. Sometimes on a long ride, I finally notice that I'm holding onto the bars (on one side, or both sides), as if someone is pulling the bars forward and I'm holding pressure rearwards. Then I have to tell myself to relax. With a drivers backrest, there is no need to pull into the bars. You just have to rest your hands on the bars.

Even after telling myself to relax and quite pulling the bars, I eventually notice that I'm building up tension from pulling, and I have to tell myself to relax and just rest my arms on the bars.

Don't know if you were doing that, but if so it could have fatigued a set of muscles needlessly.
Good suggestion Dan. That may have been part of it. Thanks
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss

Todd and BD

Old 04-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Also remember to drink plenty of fluids, getting dehydrated can cause alot of fatigue as well.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Having arthritis in both shoulders causes me some pain. Holding the throtle doesn't seem to bother me. On my two 2,000 mile plus trips from Alabama to the middle of Texas my problem was my butt got to hurting. Of course I do have a crack in my butt and maybe that is why it starts hurting.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 04-13-2010, 12:34 AM   #11

You never told us what you did with your right arm after you met your "someone special!!

Just kidding. It looks like you have risers for your handlebars, so that no doubt made the ride a lot easier, but as Dan mentioned, a backrest would be a great help too.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:02 AM   #12

I find that on long days I need to start stretching my shoulders and arms about 30-45 minutes into the ride, and then keep it up every hour or so the rest of the day. Noting fancy, I just put one arm at a time behind my back and flex my shoulder forward a couple times, then stretch my arm as far as I can across the front of my body. For the ribs, just flex your arm and then push your elbow straight back a couple times. If I wait until I feel like I need it, it doesn't work, but if I start in the morning, I stay comfortable all day.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.