Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #76

Just got my kit from Rick.Installed it(after reading instructions 3 times) with no problem.Went out on some back mountain roads, where the intersections lean in three directions at once. LOVE havin' both feet on the ground with my knees bent on my Vaquero. Not quite as low as my VTX but a lot better than it was. Thanks Rick for talkin' to me and sending it out so quick. Got any more stuff for my bikes? Gotta go ride some more. Rain has stopped.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #77
Advanced Member

as I get very interested in this kit, so my feet sit flat on the ground.
I'm glad that others are coming forth with good reports. kudos go out to Rick and all his hard work in developing this awesome!

Old 04-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #78

Thumbs Up Incorrect Instructions for Voyagers

These Lower Kits for a Vaquero are YES a bolt on Item as Ricks Original Nov 2014 Post states BUT the Voyager the Brackets MUST be modified as Rick stated.
Lets be honest.
Unfortunately the Instructions Rick sent me did not have any mention of the Critical detail.
To make it work you have to send the brackets to Rick, or do it yourself as I have done.
You don't Modify the Brackets unless you want to keep the product, real simple.
I needed the bike lowered 3/4"
Now the only solution to the Incorrect Instructions being sent to me is I will have to swap the left side shock to the right in order to hide the mess.

The bottom of the bracket picture is what was hitting the shock causing the mess, not from my 2 cuts to remove each bracket.
For the Vaquero's it is bolt on product.
Voyager owners, you had better modify the brackets First. Maybe the Instructions can have this Minor Detail added to keep other Voyager Owners from this issue.

Not looking for any to agree with me Period.

Rick look in the mirror, admit you made a simple honest mistake.
We all do.

Just agree to rewrite your instructions to add Voyagers owns must make bracket modification first.

Is that really a Big Deal ?

Best of Luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06525.jpg (84.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Not Compressed.jpg (89.6 KB, 112 views)

Old 04-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #79

As previously stated, I will not respond further to JSOhio. Not because I can't but because I won't.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:35 PM   #80

I got the kit and got it installed by the local Kawi dealer. Easy install, I think that R&R of the saddlebags was the most difficult part

I do notice the height difference, but its not as dramatic as I was hoping for, but still noticeable. If the seat I have coming drops me another 1/2" it will be perfect.

I have the Vaquero, so it was straight bolt on...no modifications needed. The instructions seemed very clear and complete and the hardware provided was top notch.

I feel no difference in handling, which was my biggest concern. Should be good to go once my V&H exhaust comes in.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #81

I took the time to ride down to Laverne and had Rick install the lowering kit and lower the front. Thats what I was looking for. Nice fit. I had never met Rick before Have nothing but GOOD to say. It's 385 mi. from home so I had plenty of time to test on the way home. Hwy.75 sucks so the first 25 were A good test. Towing A trailer never bottomed once. Could not be Happier. IF you are ever close by stop and say hi you will be glad you did.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #82

Just a word of WARNING on dropping the front end 5/8". If you are still running the OEM brake lines and bottom out the front suspension the brake hose junction block will hit your fender causing damage to the fender. I don't have the above lowering kit but dropped my front suspension 5/8" when I installed my 21" front wheel and found out the hard way it hits. I now installed stainless lines without the junction block to keep fender fron touching.
Ivan's ECU Flash
Mustang Seat
Kuryakyn Grips With Rays throttle mod
21" Front Wheel
PCV

Old 07-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
I took the time to ride down to Laverne and had Rick install the lowering kit and lower the front. Thats what I was looking for. Nice fit. I had never met Rick before Have nothing but GOOD to say. It's 385 mi. from home so I had plenty of time to test on the way home. Hwy.75 sucks so the first 25 were A good test. Towing A trailer never bottomed once. Could not be Happier. IF you are ever close by stop and say hi you will be glad you did.
Went with Old Dog to Laverne to get his bike lowered Front and Back. Did not ride Old Dogs bike but sat on it before and after and there is a real change. with My 29&1/2"inseam I can sit flat footed with bend in my knee. Following Old dog I could see the suspension working like it should and did not bottom out. Like Old Dog said Hwy 75 sucks in that area. After leaving the campground with trailers on, also had no problem. Was Nice to meet Rick and Mike.

Ray
Minnesota
2010-1700-Nomad
VBA#01525

Old 07-15-2015, 05:37 PM   #84

No Thanks

Sell them on E-Bay

Old 07-15-2015, 05:41 PM   #85

No thanks

Sell Them on E-Bay so Customers all your Customer Comments won't be Buried.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #86

They are on eBay Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=271827039885

Kawasaki VN 1700 Rear Suspension Lowering Link

Old 07-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #87

Thanks for the kind comments Old Dog and Ray2. It was nice meeting you guys too. You're what being a "biker" is all about. Obviously out enjoying life while on two wheels. 2 thumbs up!
In response to Kawasakieric, We've heard you state you bottomed the front after lowering the forks 5/8" with a 21" front wheel. We carefully measured with the stock front wheel but we've decided to make 1/2" our standard lowering in the front even with the stock wheel for safety sake, starting with Old Dogs Vaquero. Front fenders are expensive, an 1/8" is not...
Still selling the lowering links with OVERWHELMING positive response. Let me know if you'd like to try a set.
Ride safe.
Rick
507-283-1800

Old 07-16-2015, 07:23 PM   #88
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvernekaw View Post
Thanks for the kind comments Old Dog and Ray2. It was nice meeting you guys too. You're what being a "biker" is all about. Obviously out enjoying life while on two wheels. 2 thumbs up!
In response to Kawasakieric, We've heard you state you bottomed the front after lowering the forks 5/8" with a 21" front wheel. We carefully measured with the stock front wheel but we've decided to make 1/2" our standard lowering in the front even with the stock wheel for safety sake, starting with Old Dogs Vaquero. Front fenders are expensive, an 1/8" is not...
Still selling the lowering links with OVERWHELMING positive response. Let me know if you'd like to try a set.
Ride safe.
Rick
507-283-1800
Rick,
so suppose I don't have a big 21" wheel or do the forks up front whats the harm or how would that affect my ride, 1/2" will it make that big of a change, degree's wise .5 I guess?

Old 07-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbagger View Post
Rick,
so suppose I don't have a big 21" wheel or do the forks up front whats the harm or how would that affect my ride, 1/2" will it make that big of a change, degree's wise .5 I guess?
We've seen no harm or negative effects whatsoever in lowering the front forks along with the lowering links. Handling is unchanged. That being said, if you're a knee dragger and like to really charge the corners, lowering the bike in any fashion will make it easier to drag floorboard feelers. I've had zero complaints of scraping though. So is it as dramatic a difference as the lowering links alone, no. Is it worth doing, yes. I would call it "icing on the cake" The average guy with a 30" (ish) inseam will really like the additional lowering. Shorter than that, you NEED to drop the forks.
If anyone has any other questions please feel free to call us direct at 507-283-1800.

Last edited by Luvernekaw; 07-18-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #90

Thumbs Up Luverne Kawasaki Lowering Links

I purchased the Luverne Kawasaki Lowering Links 3 weeks ago and installed them myself. The install wasn’t an issue other than being one thick washer short, something the local Home Depot hardware dept. was able to solve. However there was an issue with my saddle bag brackets. With the Nomad the brackets need to be sent to Rick’s shop to be modified do to the angle change of the rear shocks. The mounting holes didn’t line up as they should have and I had to use clamps and pry bars to get them where they needed to be in order to insert the mounting bolts and secure them. Definitely a concern and a bit frustrating as getting the brackets back on took longer than it should have.
Pros and Cons.
Pro: After putting over 500 mile on with the lowering links I do like the ride, handling of the bike and most importantly being able to put my feet flat on the ground when at a stop. I’ve ridden by myself, with the wife and loaded down for a trip to the beach and no problems with bottoming out or with handling.
Cons: 1) As stated above, the alignment issue with the saddlebag brackets. I did have a conversation with Rick and Mike about my trouble getting the brackets on and made some suggestions. 2) The overall cost. For me the cost was something I had to struggle with. With the Nomad not only do you have the cost of the lowering links but you also have the cost of modifying the saddlebag brackets and shipping both ways. But, after having the bike for over 3 years and dealing with the problem of not being able to sit at a stop flat footed, I opted to bite the bullet and accepted the cost.
All in all, in the long run I’m satisfied. Barring any unforeseen circumstances in the future I think I’m going to look back on this purchase as a good one. Hope this helps anyone out there that has been on the fence as to whether to take the plunge or not.

"People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible."

Tom Centofanti
Florence, NJ
VBA#3676

Tags
seat, seat height, shocks, tall