Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #1

1700 Vulcan Rear Lowering Link

Is there any interest in a rear lowering link for all Vulcan 1700's? We developed one and are considering retailing it. Simple bolt on, no modifications. Installation takes about 10 minutes total on a 1700 Vaquero. Use your factory air shocks for a plush ride. Would come with all hardware and instructions to bolt on. Lowers rear end 3/4". Does'nt sound like much but makes a pretty dramatic difference in seat height feel. I have a 30" inseam and the 1700's feel tall to me. With this link I am flat footed. Drop the forks down in the clamps 5/8" and feels even better. Again, Vaquero requires no modification. 1700 Voyager and Nomad use a different saddlebag and the bag support does require modification to clear the different lower shock mount. We can do that as well and ship new modified supports or you can send yours for an additional charge. Retail price will be in the area of $139 plus $10 shipping in the U.S.

P.S. Don't believe what you read about shorter shocks. They make the ride unbearable for your passenger and harsh for the driver as well.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Any pics??

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest
Lots of Miles and Many More Smiles!

Blue Knights - Virginia II
Ride With Pride

Old 11-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #3

All

If you want to see how the bike looks when lowered check out my Pics. Same ride and looks cool. Luverekaw used my creation to manufacture these. I have about 15000 miles on mine and no issues. Hope all of you who like the lowered look buy them. The guys at this shop are the most honest and helpful people in our area.

Last edited by Trrust32; 11-14-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Advanced Member

yeah I would like to see some pics I'm interested!

Old 11-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #5

Yup, I'd like to see some pics too. I also might be interested.

VBA #01922

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-16-2014, 12:35 AM   #6

I'd be interested too. The price seems a little steep though. Most lowering links out on the market are around $50 plus shipping.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brian_ View Post
I'd be interested too. The price seems a little steep though. Most lowering links out on the market are around $50 plus shipping.
Not sure what links you are referring to for $50? Can't be comparing apples to apples since there are no other Kawasaki 1700 lowing links on the market.
I have a distributer catalog full of Harley lowering links for $99 up to $150...

Old 11-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvernekaw View Post
Not sure what links you are referring to for $50? Can't be comparing apples to apples since there are no other Kawasaki 1700 lowing links on the market.
I have a distributer catalog full of Harley lowering links for $99 up to $150...
Hey if you could post some pics of the link and how it mounts to the bike
exactly that way we could see it and I could tell more if I'm interested and how much does it lower the bike ( concered about draggin hard parts ) as I ride two up mostly
thanks in advance

Old 11-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvernekaw View Post
Is there any interest in a rear lowering link for all Vulcan 1700's? We developed one and are considering retailing it. Simple bolt on, no modifications. Installation takes about 10 minutes total on a 1700 Vaquero. Use your factory air shocks for a plush ride. Would come with all hardware and instructions to bolt on. Lowers rear end 3/4". Does'nt sound like much but makes a pretty dramatic difference in seat height feel. I have a 30" inseam and the 1700's feel tall to me. With this link I am flat footed. Drop the forks down in the clamps 5/8" and feels even better. Again, Vaquero requires no modification. 1700 Voyager and Nomad use a different saddlebag and the bag support does require modification to clear the different lower shock mount. We can do that as well and ship new modified supports or you can send yours for an additional charge. Retail price will be in the area of $139 plus $10 shipping in the U.S.

P.S. Don't believe what you read about shorter shocks. They make the ride unbearable for your passenger and harsh for the driver as well.
I have actually raised the back end of my skoot so I have no interest in lowering. I do have an issue with the statement..."P.S. Don't believe what you read about shorter shocks. They make the ride unbearable for your passenger and harsh for the driver as well." Over 3 different Vulcan forums I am a member of there are of quite a few 1700 owners that have installed Progressive Suspension shorter rear shocks and have nothing but praise for the ride qualities. You statement makes no sense and has no factual proof.

I have been a m/c technician for over 38 years and "lowering links" (which if I remember have been on the market since the 1970's) have been NOTHING but a cheaper alternative to shorter shocks with the ONLY advantage being the $$$ issue.

RACNRAY

Old 11-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brian_ View Post
Compare the price to a pair of shorter shocks, or go find a set of the $50 links.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #11

The links are just like the Harley ones where it moves the shock mounts further back which allows you lower seat height and about 2 inches in the very back of the bike. I have the set that was made first, I ride with no air in my shocks with a passenger and hit a dip you may bottom out when leaning way over. if you have Air in the shocks and a passenger you will not bottom out. The price is not bad since you're not mass producing these things the price of 100 and some dollars is really not that much. Again try finding metric parts for metric cruisers impossible.

Last edited by Trrust32; 11-17-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Nobody is going to sell enough of these to make much money doing so.
$50 for machined parts is hardly going to cover the cost to buy the material, cut and machine the parts. If you are making 1000's of them, maybe.

If you need/want to do this to your bike the cost of doing so at $139 is not outrageous in my opinion.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #13

Without seeing a set, how can anyone say they are overpriced. Most guys have no idea what it takes to design and manufacture aftermarket parts. I've done plenty and It's not cheap.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 11-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #14

The kit I started with and totally hacked up was the Paughco Bagger-Werx Adjustable Rear kit that was about $50.00 but it no longer looks the same and no way resembles what has been made by these guys. I also had to make shims and all kinds of other adjust to to make it work. Others on this site previously asked how I lowered
the bike for the cool stance. And they are just making an DIY kit for anyone.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #15

OK guys here's the skinny. I'm a plain, direct guy so please take this as such. I'm not trying to offend anyone or stick my middle finger in any eyes or start an internet firestorm...

1. We're not going to get rich selling these links.
2. If you don't want to lower your seat height for $149 then don't buy them. See #1.
3. We've not posted pictures because it would be easy for someone with a brain, a plasma cutter and a welder to copy them. We are still weighing the pros and cons of this decision because we like to see pictures before we buy off the internet too...
3. As to another expert poster, I make the assertion that the shorter shocks are too harsh based on my personal butt feeling Progressive 430 series shorter shocks. I've only got 23 years as a hands on Kawasaki dealership owner and 40 years riding and racing experience so I may not be the ultimate expert on this or any other forum. I happen to think Progressive has excellent products, just not this particular application. Anyone else can post whatever opinion they desire, this is America.

To the guys who have ordered so far, Thank you.
If you're thinking you'd like to lower your seat height and don't want to spend $400-500 and lose your air shocks, give us a try.
Thank you
Rick
Luverne Kawasaki
Luvernekaw@iw.net

Tags
seat, seat height, shocks, tall