Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Top Contributor

TFI and MPG update

Hi All.

Over the last couple of weekends I have been doing mods to the bike and noting the changes to performance and mpg's on my 05.

A few weeks ago I installed a Dobeck TFI set at 3-1-6-9 and installed gutted mufflers.
Performance was better than stock, the pinging had gone and also the gasp and stumble between 1st and 2nd gear shift.
I ran one tank of gas riding solo and got 38mpg.

Last Saturday I installed a gutted goatbelly to go with the gutted mufflers and this Friday I installed a 9" K&N on the right side (Cadmann mod) and changed the TFI settings to 4.15-6-1-9.
What a difference in performance ! Winding it out in 3rd and 4th it has waaaay more power that comes in a lot faster than a stock bike. The downside is the noise that comes from the rush of air going through that 9" air filter. Also the clacking of the ICS solenoids, not just when cold as some have stated. Either my bike has some other reason why they are working a lot or I am missing something. With the stock dogbowl on the noise dissappears. One tank of gas riding solo and I got 34.7 mpg.
I dont think I can live with the extra noise but the extra power is intoxicating.

On Saturday I removed the 9" air filter and put the stock goatbelly back on and set the TFI at 3-6-1-9. On all 3 tests I had the gutted stock mufflers on. With my 150 lb son on the pillion I got 35.5 mpg. Not a lot more mpg than with the 9" air filter on and quite a bit less performance.

I now have to decide in what state of tune I want to run the bike for the summer.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Top Contributor

TFI and MPG update

redjay: Thats the same dilema i faced. the noise of the ICS are annoying. I dissconnected them and its quiet. When you change the air fliter on the right you will hear the ICS solenoids alot. i could not live with them so i dissconneted them. Now quiet again. I just chole the bike everytime I start her even if only 30 minutes and all is well. You dip in mpg is normal. Your sound is normal. Your normal redjay.

Ride Easy.

Dennis

Old 04-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
Top Contributor

TFI and MPG update

Hi Doc. It was my understanding that you could only hear the ICS solenoids until the bike warmed up then they were quiet. Not so in my case. I could hear them every time I pulled up at lights etc. Sounds like someone hammering the engine casting every time you pull up.
With the stock dogbowl on you dont hear it. Surely Kawi could make something that works the same without that racket.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
TFI and MPG update

redjay, Doc is right. The ICS' clacks and clatters all the time at low speed and at idle. In order to get rid of the noise you have to disconnect them. You can always put them back if it makes you nervous. I believe there is a post on Gadgets page on how to do this.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 04-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Top Contributor

TFI and MPG update

Hi, If you disconnect them electrically do you have to remove the hoses and plug the holes that come through the backing plate at 11pm and 1am and marble the hose at 2 o'clock ? Please no quips about doing it anytime, lol.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
TFI and MPG update

No just pull a wire off each solenoid and tie them up so they don't ground on something metal and ruin your ECM!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
Top Contributor

TFI and MPG update

Mine are still in...just unplugged...been that way over a year now I guess.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 04-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Top Contributor

TFI and MPG update

mine are there just unplugged green wire off each and zip tied her up.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #9

TFI and MPG update

I had mine set to 3-6-1-9. Changed setting of pot # 2 to 3 1/2 and mileage increased to 38- 39 mpg. I didn't notice any difference in performance. When pot # 2 was set at 6 I only got about 32 mpg.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #10

TFI and MPG update

I'm the guy that has the 07 Nomad with pretty bad pinging on 93 Octane.
Yesterday I installed debaffled stock mufflers and a TFI. Everything else is totally stock. Today I took it for a test ride to see if there is any improvement.
My TFI settings when I first started were 3- 4- 1- 9. I still had a 1/2 tank of 93 Octane. Outside temperature was 80 degrees. The idle was definitely smoother then before installing the TFI. Under load and rolling on the throttle at 50-60 mph in 5th gear I could still get a little ping, but no where near the ping I had before the TFI. I stopped to make another adjustment, this time I changed pot 1 to 3:15 an pot 2 to 5, I continued riding on an open highway at speeds between 65 - 90 mph and doing alot of opening the throttle all the way to see if it would ping. I noticed if I open the throttle doing a slow roll on I could get it to ping sometimes not most of the time but occasionally. I stopped to make another adjustment. This time I set pot 1 at 3:30 and pot 2 at 6, this setting seems better but occasionally I could still get a slight ping but it only lasted for one or two seconds and then no more ping as I was accelerating.
I only rode 64.8 miles total today and it started raining pretty hard. My mileage was only 33.45 mpg but I was running hard and high speeds. I'll ride the next tank my normal routine and report back the results.

One question I have though, is the slight ping I still have coming from the pot 1 or pot 2 adjustment? It doesn't look like I'll get off of the 93 octane does it?
BTW, I do like the sound of the debaffled stock mufflers.

Glenn

Old 04-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #11

TFI and MPG update

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybuster
I'm the guy that has the 07 Nomad with pretty bad pinging on 93 Octane.
Yesterday I installed debaffled stock mufflers and a TFI. Everything else is totally stock. Today I took it for a test ride to see if there is any improvement.
My TFI settings when I first started were 3- 4- 1- 9. I still had a 1/2 tank of 93 Octane. Outside temperature was 80 degrees. The idle was definitely smoother then before installing the TFI. Under load and rolling on the throttle at 50-60 mph in 5th gear I could still get a little ping, but no where near the ping I had before the TFI. I stopped to make another adjustment, this time I changed pot 1 to 3:15 an pot 2 to 5, I continued riding on an open highway at speeds between 65 - 90 mph and doing alot of opening the throttle all the way to see if it would ping. I noticed if I open the throttle doing a slow roll on I could get it to ping sometimes not most of the time but occasionally. I stopped to make another adjustment. This time I set pot 1 at 3:30 and pot 2 at 6, this setting seems better but occasionally I could still get a slight ping but it only lasted for one or two seconds and then no more ping as I was accelerating.
I only rode 64.8 miles total today and it started raining pretty hard. My mileage was only 33.45 mpg but I was running hard and high speeds. I'll ride the next tank my normal routine and report back the results.

One question I have though, is the slight ping I still have coming from the pot 1 or pot 2 adjustment? It doesn't look like I'll get off of the 93 octane does it?
BTW, I do like the sound of the debaffled stock mufflers.

Glenn
Glenn, Your describing my experience with the TFi and my 2007. I did the same stuff as you did and tried all the settings on the TFI. I can still get a slight ping at times even on 93 octane. Fuel mileage was like yours too.

We may have a slight intake leak somewhere, but I suspect it has more to do with the gas station's fuel mixture in my area. I also think my rattling radiator shroud fools me with sounds like pinging sometimes.

I would like to run regular or mid grade gas, but my 2007 doesnt seem to like it much. If you find a way to get rid of the ping noise completely, please let me know.

Bill

Old 04-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #12

TFI and MPG update

Hi Bill,
Are you completely stock also? What settings are you at now? What mpg are you getting with normal riding?
I can live with mine the way it's running now but I'm anxious to see how the ping is when riding 2 up, and as far as needing 93 octane, that doesn't bother me but when this tank of 93 is close to empty I'll add a gallon or two of 89 and see what happens.
I can't really say for sure that I see a noticable increase in power but I always thought it was adequate. One thing I did notice though is it's much smoother taking off from a stand still and shifting between gears is also smoother as someone else on this forum mentioned. That alone is a big improvement.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #13
Advanced Member

TFI and MPG update

I unplugged mine and the last tank of gas was mixed driving at 36 mpg, 2 up (460 lbs.), not too bad I'm thinking. It's just hard to keep your wrist out of the equation when your bike responds so much better; I could probably get to 38 if I worked at it.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #14
Top Contributor

TFI and MPG update

Hi, I am trying to feather the throttle so the noise from the 9" filter is just on the edge of noisy, just like feathering the throttle to stop the ping before the TFI install. Open the throttle and she takes off like a banshee. No need for anything more than 87 octane any more and getting the bike to ping happens only when you ride the bike like you are not supposed to, too high a gear and too much throttle.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #15

TFI and MPG update

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybuster
Hi Bill,
Are you completely stock also? What settings are you at now? What mpg are you getting with normal riding?
I can live with mine the way it's running now but I'm anxious to see how the ping is when riding 2 up, and as far as needing 93 octane, that doesn't bother me but when this tank of 93 is close to empty I'll add a gallon or two of 89 and see what happens.
I can't really say for sure that I see a noticable increase in power but I always thought it was adequate. One thing I did notice though is it's much smoother taking off from a stand still and shifting between gears is also smoother as someone else on this forum mentioned. That alone is a big improvement.
My 2007 is stock motor, stock intake, exhaust baffelectomy. My TFI is at 2:30, 5:30, 1, 9 and my mileage is about 33-38mpg riding two up. TFI definitely helped in the pinging, smoother idle, and most of all the motor runs much cooler. The cooling fan rarely runs now. The TFI was worth the money for me.