Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #1

need computer guru

need some help here, when i turn my puter on the sound is go for about 5 mins then it turns into munchin land,, on everything, dont know if my sound went puff or it a virus attacking it, ran two full scans with a very high tech virus protection but nothing was found, fan is working,,,,. any advise

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #2

need computer guru

Sorry, I don't know anything about computers :-/ but thought if I replied it would bump your thread back up so maybe some others will see and can advise. Good Luck. :)
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 03-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Advanced Member

need computer guru

Bugman:
If you are like me and leave your computer on full time it could be heat related. First thing i would do if it has been running very long is to take it outside with a can of compressed air and give it a good cleaning. While it's open check connections, re-seat sound card if it is not built in and you feel comfortable with it to see if it helps.

Other option if this fails, new sound card. Newegg.com is great for supplies!

Hope you figure it out... annoying not to have sound!

Jack

Old 03-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #4

need computer guru

thanks i will do both as soon as i get home

Old 03-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #5

need computer guru

Right-Click My Computer > Hardware > Device Manager
Look for any yellow flagged entries or unknown device entries.
If that is all good find your audio card device.
Right-Click on it and select properties
Select the update driver option and let it connect to internet for updates when it asks.
You may just have a corrupt driver file.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #6

need computer guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Right-Click My Computer > Hardware > Device Manager
Look for any yellow flagged entries or unknown device entries.
If that is all good find your audio card device.
Right-Click on it and select properties
Select the update driver option and let it connect to internet for updates when it asks.
You may just have a corrupt driver file.
I'll add to this suggestion that either update the driver as directed, or just simply uninstall the hardware from the computer (or rather, uninstall the driver), and let Windows (I assume Windows) detect the hardware and add it back (at which point you either use the same driver, or an updated version.

If you're like most non-techies who just want to surf the web and read email, then you probably bought a computer from one of the big stores, or online from Dell. In that case, unless you specified otherwise, your sound card is probably built into the motherboard, and isn't a separate physical device. In this case, either it's going out (maybe due to a power surge), and you might have to replace it with a card-based sound card. Or, I'm thinking the hard drive might be having some troubles. Long story short, when is the last time you ran a "check disk" on your computer (looking for errors on the drive)?

Go Start -> Run -> Type "cmd" and hit enter. When the command prompt comes up, type "chkdsk c:" and a disk check will run. Let it complete, and view the results. If it indicates you have bad sectors that need repair, or that anything else might be corrupted, you can re-run the check with the fix flag "chkdsk c: /f". It will schedule another scan to run at start up. Reboot and let the check run, and hopefully it will catch and fix any problems.

When you run the original scan, make sure you close everything down (all running programs), since they can throw false positives.

From what you describe though, I saw first try replacing the drivers. Then you might try the disk check. Are there any other problems, or odd behaviors you are noticing with it?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #7

need computer guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman
need some help here, when i turn my puter on the sound is go for about 5 mins then it turns into munchin land,, on everything, dont know if my sound went puff or it a virus attacking it, ran two full scans with a very high tech virus protection but nothing was found, fan is working,,,,. any advise
I'm not sure I understand the question.. sound is good for 5 min, then turns into munchin land? Where's munchin land, and.. do they have chilli-cheese fritos?

Doubt it's a virus. You either have a driver problem, heat related, or, if your sounds chip shares memory with the machine (likely with an off-the-shelf system, like Dell or Gateway), check the stuff you have down in the system try (by the clock). All those icons? Make as many go away as you can. The more junk you have there, the more memory being used.

You can also run msconfig from the command line (start>run) and go through the startup tab. Find the stuff in there you don't need and uncheck them (it's not permanent, so you can experiment a little.) Then reboot...

Good luck.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT