Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 02-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #1

Interesting article in Pittsburg Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09015/941739-51.stm

Pittsburgh Rides: Who are the real bikers?
Thursday, January 15, 2009
By David Ryder

OK, here's an unpopular opinion for you -- all who ride are not "bikers." Somehow American pop culture has merged the word "motorcycle" with visions of tattooed nonconformists who all stand around with belligerent expressions on their faces and who wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything but black leather.
Wake up, America! There's an entire world of motorcyclists out there who'd rather be out riding than posing around Quaker Steak and Lube's parking lot admiring each other's overpriced driveway jewelry.

Hey, I've got nothing against bikers. I mean REAL bikers … you know, the guys who rode motorcycles and acted antisocially because they didn't give a damn what anyone else thought about them. But these guys don't really exist anymore, outside of a Hollywood movie set.

All we've got now are wannabe bikers, guys who walk into a dealership, sign a loan large enough to pay for a college degree, then buy a closet-full of "I'm bad!" T-shirts (black, of course), a set of mirrored Ray-Bans, and head for the nearest parking lot so they can show off their new toy. Yeah, real individuals, these guys … along with the 500 other guys in that parking lot just like them.

Actually, it seems most of them are just there to find out how to put gas in their bikes, considering the majority don't seem to ride often enough to need gas more than once per season.

When these guys do take to the roads, it's always in multitudes the likes of which haven't been seen since the exodus scene from "The Ten Commandments." They travel around like a colossal chrome and leather millipede, each rider sporting a tough guy sneer (or maybe it's a grimace of pain -- bugs and rocks pinging off your unprotected noggin can't be pleasant).

It's difficult to understand the attraction of these gatherings. I mean, what's fun about waiting an hour for your food when you and 50 of your friends show up at a restaurant? Or spending half an hour sitting in the sun at a gas station while you wait for a pump to open up? Or traveling at a pace usually reserved for Labor Day parades?

OK, I can understand the fun of feeling part of something. But c'mon … if you wanted to hang out with a bunch of guys all wearing the same clothes, couldn't you have joined the Cub Scouts or something?

So, speaking to the rest of the world, there are "bikers" and there are "motorcyclists." Motorcyclists are those of us who wake up and immediately think, "Where can I ride today?" We don't need 50 of our friends to join us, nor do we particularly care what color our T-shirts are, because we probably won't have our riding jackets off long enough for anyone to notice them.

We care far more about the quality of the road surface, and whether the gear we're wearing protects us if some dingbat changes lanes without looking. We avoid parking lots and slow moving parades down Main Street, instead seeking open vistas with sweeping two-lane roads. State lines hold no significance for us; we're more concerned with cornering lines, anyway.

All we really need from you is a solid shoulder check when you change lanes and maybe, if you really want to be nice, could you please finish texting your BFF at the next red light?

David Ryder is a high school teacher in Brentwood maintaining the balance between motorcycling and employment since 1995.

First published on January 15, 2009 at 12:00 am

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Excellent!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 02-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
Advanced Member

An intersting article- one which many Harley riders would probably disagree with! I guess I've said it before- I've got nothing against Harleys- but it seems the 'culture' or 'mindset' surrounding them now is such that it just doesn't appeal much to me. Maybe it's just my perception.

My wife hates Harleys, for whatever reason, and like the article said, loans that would pay for a college degree... here I am with a Nomad and NO REGRETS.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #4

That works for me! Too bad they don't post that in every major newspaper across America.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #5

Great article. Thanks for posting it .

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #6

Yes, a great article. David Ryder hit it on the head, I would rather be out there riding and exploring. Than at some parking lot or some dealer's parking lot standing around a talking about all of the Bling that is on their bike instead of miles.And of course lying about how much it really cost them. DJ

Old 02-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Awesome article.. Reminds me of the movie "Wild Hogs", a movie I watch anytime there's nothing on the tube. Can't wait to get my new Nad on wednesday. Probabably ride by myself 90% of the time on country roads in central Mississippi. And my bike will be completely paid for. Don't get much better than that!

Old 02-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #8

Great article. Made me thing of my trip to the "Oyster Bike Rally" this summer. Streets were clogged, 90% people all wearing the same black leather and bad boy image (while carrying shopping bags full of more). 20,000 bikes and all were parked.

Granted many rode lots of miles to get there....but the experience was not a high point for me. Give me that old two lane country rode, a couple of buddies, and a "hole in the wall" diner at the end of a 300 mile day.

On the flip side, if people want to park their bike, ride a different brand, and pretend to be a 1%er that is great in my book too....just not for me. To each his own!

VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 02-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #9

I have friends I consider bikers, they arent one percenters, but bikes are their primary mode of transportation unless they are using the truck to haul something or taking the family somewhere. They do 90% of their work on their OLD bikes (they cant afford new ones). Some of us have more money in chrome than they have in their entire bikes.

They ride metics and harleys, bobbers and dressers, chopped out honda 750s and road kings. Seldom will they go on a trip with out a full set of tools and there is almost always one able mechanic along.

They are covered with tattos; hard to see sometimes under the dirt and grime from their blue collar jobs, they have long hair and earrings. They work long hours at hard jobs, and they party hard.

They will give you the shirt off their back if they like you, will raise thousands for a sick child , dont give a sh*t what you think, and if it comes to it they are ready to take a butt whipping as well as give it.

They arent criminals (unless you consider making a little shine as a major crime) but I certainly consider them bikers. They call me ez money cause I have a white collar job, but they respect me and I do them.

So I guess I will disagree, bikers do exist, they aint always pretty, but that independent free spirit, still exists, you just got to look. If you find a bunch of guys like that, look past the rough exterior and the ratty bikes, you might find a bunch of guys that are good as gold, tough as nails, and loyal to a fault.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #10

Well said gopjohnny, I respect all, until they give me reason not too. I have friends and aquantiences on all brands and styles of bikes, if it is on two, heck even three wheels, I consider you a fellow rider. Many I wouldn't choose to befriend, but I'd stop to offer help to all. As for the ones who spend more time and money polishing and primping, perhaps they aren't comfortable out on the road, so that's fine. Better to ride 5 miles, sit for hours and return home safe, then become a statistic. As for group rides, for years I rode solo. No friends with bikes, or conflicting schedules, so I rode by myself. More recently I've begun going on some group rides with friends, and it is enjoyable, but I still prefer to go solo, set my own pace, go where I want, stop when i want, etc...
Sorry for the ramble, its just that I hate to be painted with a broad brush, so I try not to do unto others... Bottom line is I give everyone respect, and a little more if they ride. From there it is up to them to see if mine continues.
VBA #931R
VROC #16379R

Old 02-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #11

gopjohnny, why didn't you choose ez money for your screen name? That is a neat nick name.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #12

MMM didnt think of that, I just used the first part of my email I have had for years. Might have to figure out how to change it

Old 02-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez money
MMM didnt think of that, I just used the first part of my email I have had for years. Might have to figure out how to change it
You can't change your "user" name but you can change your "display" name whenever and as often as you want.

Click on the word "profile" up near the top of the page. Then click on "modify profile". In the "Display Name" box, enter whatever you want your displayed name to be. Finally, at the bottom of that page click on "Modify Profle" and you're done.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 02-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #14

Dang, I can't wear my black t-shirts any more?!!

:) :)

Old 02-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandolfn
Dang, I can't wear my black t-shirts any more?!!

:) :)

Sure you can, just without the bar and shield.