Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #1

Thunder adapter for 1600

One of my Winter projects was to install a new intake system. I thought about all the options available and decided on the Thunder Tornado style. I realized that the price was quite a bit more than, say, the Caddman, but I don't see too many intakes like this one, and I was looking for something different. I ordered the adapter plate, intake plate and the rest of the parts from Thunder. When the parts first arrived I was not too impressed with the quality. The chrome was scratched and the mounting surfaces did not come with a gasket or o-ring, and the horn ( elbow ) was not a true, straight surface to match with the adapter. Now, it's not a problem for me to make a gasket to fit, or use a liquid gasket maker as long as it meets my anal, perfectionist attitude.

The problem started with mounting the adapter to the throttle body. First problem, the threads for the intake sensor were drilled on the opposite side than the stock plate, so the wire harness would not stretch to hook up the sensor. So, I had to lengthen the harness with new wire, solder and shrink wrap. Second, the threads cut into the adapter were at an angle, and on the curve portion of the adapter so the sensor and it's jam nut would not work for this application. I re-did the threads and installed the sensor using liquid teflon so it will adhere okay. Third , and probably the most important, was that the steel vacuum lines coming from the intake manifold are held in place by a rubber support grommet. This grommet is solidly mounted so the stock backing plate can force itself against it, and seal against 2 o-rings. The Thunder adapter is held away from the throttle body by these two, steel tubes and will not sit flush against the mounting surface of the throttle body. I ended up removing the vacuum lines and their hoses right up to the elbows on the intake manifold, then sealing them with the rubber boots that came in the kit. Now, I will have to tap the holes in the adapter kit that the tubes slid through, to 1/8 pipe so I can wind in some plugs with sealant.

All this took me about 4 hours and I was not impressed. It will work eventually, along with my TFI that is hooked up and ready to go. I will take some photos when I am done so you can see my install. It does look good all assembled, just waiting for warmer weather to finish the project.

Sorry to be long winded, just wanted to give the heads up to any of you thinking of a Thunder product and have to use their adapter.

voyager

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Thunder adapter for 1600

Sorry to hear about your problems Voyager. I too am a perfectionst and would have boxed the damn thing back up and bought another brand. But thats me. Hope it works out for you. I know the TFI will work. :-)

Dennis

Old 01-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Thunder adapter for 1600

Thank you for your honest assessment of the Thunder adapter. I am, in fact, considering replacing my Caddmann with a Thunder Tornado. Now I'm not so sure, Who else makes adapters like this?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #4

Thunder adapter for 1600

I'm with Doc on this one. You have more patience than I would have had voyager. I would let the company know how much trouble it was to install and maybe they could fix the problems on future kits.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #5

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Thunder adapter for 1600

Thanks Voyager, hey there's nothing wrong with trying something and it not working out. It's because of the risk takers like you that we have better bikes. Unfortunately it happened to you and it was because of a poor product. I have to say on the behalf me and anybody that has tossed hard earned money into the proverbial blast furnace (most of the time by my wife). Thanks for trying!! :) :) :)

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Thunder adapter for 1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead
....tossed hard earned money into the proverbial blast furnace (most of the time by my wife)....
Thank God...I thought mine was the only one that did that.... ;)
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 AM   #7

Thunder adapter for 1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Thank you for your honest assessment of the Thunder adapter. I am, in fact, considering replacing my Caddmann with a Thunder Tornado. Now I'm not so sure, Who else makes adapters like this?
I'm with CJ......who else makes an adaptor??????

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 01-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #8

Thunder adapter for 1600

When I installed my Thunder adapter plate (about 3 years ago), I did use a little of the petro proof sealant between it and the throttle body, and a little between the adapter and the backing plate. Both pieces were machined beautifully (being a tool and die guy, I thought it was very good) The only two things I had to do was (like you Voyager) to make my wires longer to reach the other side, and re-tap the hole the sensor screwed into (the first thread was buggered up). The holes for the vacuum tubes worked just like the factory backing plate did. All I had to do was cap them with the supplied caps. I completed it by way of the "Stealth" cover, and used a Harley EVO cover (Live to Ride- Ride to Live thing). I like it because it's different, and it doesn't get in my way. I'm sorry to hear about yours Voyager, their quality control must have went down hill? ???

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 01-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

Thunder adapter for 1600

If you buy a Kuryakyn Hypercharger, it comes with its own adapter plate. I wanted a tornado, though I guess I'll have to keep looking.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #10

Thunder adapter for 1600

I chatted with "Dave" from Thunder's tech department and told him all about his product. He admitted that the adapter plate and backing plate were a machined surface ( which they are ) but they have had complaints about the elbow mating surface to backing plate. He said he just advised his customers to use a liquid gasket to take up any imperfections. I told him for the price, there should be no imperfections, or at least supply gaskets. He did say they relocated the intake sensor to the other side but had heard no issues about having to lengthen the wire harness to reach. I told him on our site it had been mentioned so it can't be a " one of " scenario. He also knew of the vacuum tubes interfering with the mating surfaces of the adapter and the throttle body. Some applications it works, others it doesn't. When I told him what I had done, he thought that was a good idea. The problem, he says, is this adapter fits lots of applications for air boxes and this causes some specific concerns. Like most corporations, they have to receive a certain number of complaints before they change their product line. ( sounds like V&H Baggers and the header pipe issue ). Regardless, he appreciated the feed back but didn't sound like any of their product was going to change.

Just a note to say, the adapter will work for those that want a change. Just now be prepared for some hic ups along the way. If you need any advice, feel free to contact me and I can tell, or send pics of what I did. Good luck!

voyager

Old 01-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #11

Thunder adapter for 1600

I'm expecting mine to arrive anytime. Putting it on a 1500, don't know if that will matter. I'll let you know.

Like you, Vulcan, doing the stealth kit, but for now I'll leave the left side alone. I like the dog dishes. May get around to moving the ign. or whatever hits me later.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Thunder adapter for 1600

caddman kit is a walk in the park for not much money and gives about the same results as a $400 hyper-cleaner out your wallet. IMO

Old 01-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Thunder adapter for 1600

Yes it wil do the same thing for a lot less$$$$ But I just couldnt get over how cool the hypercharger looked. I have been talking to the techs at kuryakn about getting a dummy hypercharger for the left side. I just think it would look really cool. they are working on one that might fit and they are going to get back to me. Im keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #14

Thunder adapter for 1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager
I chatted with "Dave" from Thunder's tech department -. He admitted that they have had complaints about the elbow mating surface to backing plate. He also knew of the vacuum tubes interfering with the mating surfaces of the adapter and the throttle body. Some applications it works, others it doesn't.

voyager
Thank you very much for the review Voyager - This was the exact kit I was anticipating ordering in the spring - I will probably investigate options at this point

Again - many thanks

Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel
Thunder adapter for 1600

Liked the thunder kits, but just couldn't bring myself to buying one at the price at the time, but I did the caddmann and it worked just as well. Looks good with the chrome cover and oiled filter.