Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #1

What questions to ask?

Today is January 1, 2009. Wow, I have allowed life to just pass me by. NO MORE! My search for the perfect Nomad for me is now in high gear. So, what questions should I ask when looking at an older model? For instance, I know to ask about tires, pipes, service records for oil changes, gear lube, but what about warranty work? What are the questions to ask about that plastic gear thingy, or other stuff with the motor. Seeing Dan's torn down has me wondering if I should ask questions about serious engine problems and how were they fixed. Since I have owned an Evo engine H-D since 1993, I know that motor, but not a Nomad, much more complicated for me.

Throw some ideas my way and I'll keep a list.

Skeet
"Still searching for HER perfect Nomad"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

What questions to ask?

If you're looking at a '99, ask if the POG (plastic oil gear) has been replaced.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to dabull
What questions to ask?

Ask for/run a VIN check and get a carfax run sheet...

Old 01-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #4

What questions to ask?

Skeet
"Still searching for HER perfect Nomad"

First, your not going to find a Nomad thats perfect for you. You will want lots of accessories that it probably will not have. You will want to make it unique to you.
Second, buying used is always a crap shoot. It is tough to tell whats going on inside the engine, drive shaft,swingarm etc.
Third, the guy trying to sell the bike is going to tell you what you want to hear.
I would just look it over to see the general condition. You know, is it clean, is there any rust, is it kept inside or left out in the elements. Look for indications of it being down and if you find any ask how it happened. He will probably say it fell off the kickstand in the garage but you still have to ask. If you know someone with a Nomad, listen to how his sounds and try to compare it to the one you are looking at. Better yet have him go with you.
I don't know what year or years they used the plastic gear but I would not buy a Nomad of those years. If you ask if the plastic oil gear has been changed he will say yes even if it hasn't. He is trying to sell the bike.
I know I will hear flack on that from guys who have that year but thats just my opinion.
Trust no one, go with your gut feeling and hope for the best ;)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #5

What questions to ask?

Owner should have maintainance records with some kind of documentation and/or receipts.....something.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #6

What questions to ask?

Thanks guys, I know that people will tell you anything to sell something. Just like the bike in Pensacola, Fl, the seller said it had a TN title, was in great shape except for some pitting on the back rest and luggage rack. That bike sold at an auction in Dallas and was in very poor condition. The handlebars were even broke in half between the risers. Plus it had a LA title, was scratched and damaged from one side to the other, showed it had been down and maybe set outside since wrecked. I met a guy here locally that was selling an 03 black and silver. What, Ma Kaw didn't make a black and silver in 03. So, I had to look at it. Someone painted the silver on that bike with a spray can, had trash, bubbles and ripples, then cleared. Amazing what someone will do to cover up that the bike had been down or crashed.

I know that I will not find the "perfect bike". But I've been a HD owner/rider since 92. I've spent thousands of dollars on my bike. No more of that. Yes chrome is sexy, but it doesn't make the bike ride better. So, MY goal is to have a bike that is comfortable and fits me. I just want risers to get the bars back to me, running lights so I can see better, a comfortable seat that allows me to get my feet on the ground cause as all of ya'll know, those "big girls" are heavy. I would love a back rest for my arthritic back, a place to tie on luggage, "guiet" pipes, don't need that loud stuff anymore and just a good running motorcycle I can ride for the next few years before I have to start riding behind someone.

So, keep the questions I need to ask coming, I'm making a list.

Skeet

Old 01-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Advanced Member

What questions to ask?

Let it talk to you!

You will know when you got the right one if you listen to the voice!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #8

What questions to ask?

When you find a bike that appears to meet your standards (price, appearance, condition), arrange to have it gone over by a trustworthy shop for a pre-purchase inspection. It may cost a couple of hundred dollars for some piece of mind.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #9

What questions to ask?

Skeet, top cat's post was spot on, and you seem to already know that. Don't worry about the plastic oil gear unless it's a 1999. No other years used it.

I'd look for an 05 through 08 so that you get the 1600, but if you find a good deal on a clean 1500, they are good bikes too. I just prefer the 1600.

I only bought one of my 4 Nomad used, and I bought it off of cycle trader. I was in Utah, and he was in Southern Cal. I trusted that the bike was what he said it was, got in my truck and went down there. Luckily, it was exactly what he claimed. I loaded up and went home and was happy.

Things like the steering stem not being lubed or the swing arm aren't big deals to me. It's nice if they are, but my mechanic says that most of them go for 75,000 miles even if they aren't. And even if they fail, it's only the price of the part on top of the labor it would have been to lube it anyway. He recommended waiting till it fails, and then put a new one in. I sold my 99 at 63,000 miles and they had never been lubed.

If the bike is in good physical condition looks wise, and when you test ride it, and if the oil has been changed. You probably have as good of a bike as you can get. It's a crap shoot anyway. I bought my last one new and it's had all kinds of warranty work.

Another thing to consider. If they bought the extended warranty, it will transfer to you, and that is a big relief on not knowing if something is going to go wrong with it. It could come with up to 7 years of warranty, so it can be quit a few years old and still have it.

Extended Warranty has to be purchased in the first two years, or you can't get it. So if the bike is older than 2 years, hope that they bought it. If it is coming up on two years, you can still get it.

I'd look for the lowest mile bike you can afford, and withing a days drive of you. Go look it over and if it rides nice (no strange noises/ rattles) and looks good. Get it. Other than the plastic oil gear on the 99's they haven't had any year specific things to worry about. You could actually buy it by the color you like and other than they 99 you are fine.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #10

What questions to ask?

Thanks Dan for all the information, Since I'm becoming a blue haired old lady, I don't want to spend all the money on a new bike. And I'm also looking at a weight issue. I've set on an 02, never ridden one. I had no problems setting the bike up or setting on it with feet on the ground even though I'm only 5'4". Believe it, when I lose a few pounds my legs will grow longer, just by getting rid of a little inner thigh. I appreciate when I see a bike that looks to have been taken care of. My inner voice tells me to stay away from something that is all dirty and an owner tells me that all he has done is change the oil once in two years. So, my search continues.

Skeet

Old 01-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
What questions to ask?

You understand NEVER to buy a used Nomad from Dan though right?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 01-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #12
Advanced Member

What questions to ask?

Hey...Dan's bikes have been places no one else has ever thought of going...what an adventure she would have!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #13
Advanced Member

What questions to ask?

Get the current copy of Cycle World. In this month's issue it has a section on buying used M/Cs. One tip they had was to run your hand under the length of the engine & transmission to look for oil & coolant leaks. The owner may have washed the bike before you arrive to look at it & may have missed the under carriage....-Rich

Old 01-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to novijoe
What questions to ask?

I know you are thinking used but have you at all considered a new scoot? You see em round pretty cheap now and as the economy gets worse the prices will drop even more as dealers try to get rid of them. The dealer I bought from found me a 07 still in the crate! they had to go to Ohio to get it but I got it pretty cheap back then. I've see em new on ebay for under 10k. remember you wont have to put as much money into repairs as you did with the HD, nowhere close.

Nothing against used bikes, my first Nad was used and took me through 22 states. But I knew I had to have a new one before the 1600's were gone. If your able, I'd seriously consider this route. Good luck in your search, you are making the right choice...Nomads Rock! ;)

Old 01-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #15

What questions to ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
You understand NEVER to buy a used Nomad from Dan though right?
But hey, the engine doesn't know where its been taken, only the tires know we are going strange places :)