Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #1

Finding the right first bike

Alright guys and gals i need your input here. I learned how to ride about two years ago on a honda nighthawk650 but i never found that one bike that i want. Can anyone help me figure out what is a good first bike for me. I am 5'4 weigh about 120lb. I know i am probably the first woman who tells people how much she weighs but i don't know if my weight would matter or not when purchasing a bike. Anyway, if anyone can help me try to figure out what i should get( that i can handle) it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Take Lonnie's C50 and he can get a Nomad

Old 12-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #3

My first bike was a Suzuki Intruder 800. I enjoyed it and it has a low center of gravity which makes things a bit easier to handle it. I know a lady who has the Honda Shadow, I believe the model is the Aero. She seems to really enjoy it and is 5'3"-5'4". I hope this helps some.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #4

That's a thought Beez.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #5

Lonnie wants to get a new bike and give me his and i might just take him up on that since he changed the way it looks. But it is an 1100 volusia anniversary edition. Isn't that a little to much for me to handle for my first bike? Thanks for the info kawgirl is does help me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #6

I think a Kawa 900 would be a good fit. Or if you thinking something larger, this might do.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:13 PM   #7

I think it has more to do with how confident you are about riding the bike. If it fits and feels good when you're sitting on it, you will be fine with it and will know when you take it out for a ride if you can handle it. Try it out in a vacant parking lot and see how you feel with it. I took a buddy's Vulcan Classic 1600 out for a spin to see if I felt I could move from the 800 to the 1500. Once I rolled around the block, I kept going. I knew I was okay to find a Nomad and buy it.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Quote:
Lonnie wants to get a new bike and give me his and i might just take him up on that since he changed the way it looks. But it is an 1100 volusia anniversary edition. Isn't that a little to much for me to handle for my first bike? Thanks for the info kawgirl is does help me.
No, it's not an 1100, it's an 800. I think the anniv. model is an "04 and he's got it looking pretty darn nice. I would take him up on it. It would be a great fit with enough power plus he knows the bike. First thing I would do if I were you would be to go to the Motorcycle Training Course and learn to ride on a bike they provide. They're smaller 200 and 250cc's. Maybe you should buy a 250 Honda Rebel to ride for a little while but after that, and you'll know when, you can ride the Volusia safely and confidently.
Just a thought or 2

Old 12-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #9

Holy Crap that is awesome Ron. I will have to wait until next year before i can try to ride it though Kawgirl. We live in Wisconsin and we have about 4-5 inches of snow on the ground already. This sucks. I don't want to wait to ride.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #10

I remember when I was getting my first bike I wanted a honda shadow spirit 750. I went to the dealer and he suggested I get an 1100. I'm glad I did. I thought the 750 would be a better first bike but I 've seen time and time again that its better to make your first bike a little bigger than smaller. I would venture to guess that most of the guys here were a little intimidated the first time they rode the nomad but once you get on and ride a little what you thought was too big really isn't that hard to handle. I've seen women your size riding full sized harley dressers. Get what your comfortable with but don't sell your self short. maybe try a few out if you can. When ever I see chicks riding I think its cool. I would say "no" an 1100 is not too big for you - I would encourage it because it will take away the desire to get a bigger one 3 months down the road.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Take Lonnie's C50 and he can get a Nomad
Ding ding ding, we have a winner! BINGO!!!

If Lonnie's is too modded out for you, consider the Yamaha V-Star 650. I worked with a pair of gals that both got that bike and said it was PERFECT for them. One was your size, the other a couple inches taller and about 10-20lbs heavier (but still cute!). Pretty fast bike, too (if that matters). If you can't find one new that fits the budget, consider a used one or a used Volusia. Pretty tough to go wrong with either one, IMHO.

... and take the MSF first!

Ride safely and enjoy,
Daryl

Old 12-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #12

I do plan on taking the course next year. I need to see when sign ups start. Because the classes fill up fast around here. I love the way Lonnie's bike looks. I prefer an all black bike but i can change that later. Lonnie's bike is an 800 sorry beezer thank you for correcting me.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:17 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
I do plan on taking the course next year. I need to see when sign ups start. Because the classes fill up fast around here. I love the way Lonnie's bike looks. I prefer an all black bike but i can change that later. Lonnie's bike is an 800 sorry beezer thank you for correcting me.
Allison,

(sssh, quietly in a whisper)... it's actually an 805cc, but let's NOT tell Beezer and let him have his moment. It's good for the whole Alpha, male, honey I know I'm right thing.
It'll be our little secret

Good times,
DS

Old 12-05-2007, 08:18 PM   #14

I won't tell if you don't DS

Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #15
Top Contributor

Hey!!!!!!!! You're right