Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #1

Trunk and rack pictures for rickyboy

Rickyboy had some questions about venture trunk racks, so I said I'd post some pictures.

Rick, I was all set to say that the rack you were after would work, but then, I noticed a picture in my photobucket of a black trunk that is the larger trunk, and the rack looks the same.

Perhaps there are two different racks out there, look the same but are different sizes? The bottom photo of the black trunk is the newer larger one.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
Rickyboy had some questions about venture trunk racks, so I said I'd post some pictures.

Rick, I was all set to say that the rack you were after would work, but then, I noticed a picture in my photobucket of a black trunk that is the larger trunk, and the rack looks the same.

Perhaps there are two different racks out there, look the same but are different sizes? The bottom photo of the black trunk is the newer larger one.

Thanks Dan.
I like the look of the newer rack that's on the blk trun. It might be too large for my trunk. I didn't know there was a small and larger trunk on the Venture back then. I might just order a rack from a dealer to see what it looks like. Then maybe order online. I might forgo the rack online right now.
Thanks Dan.
Rickyboy

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #3

Wompus makes a rack for the 1600. Not sure if it will let you keep the grab rails though.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 11-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #4

With thw Wompus rack you loose the grab rail.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:42 PM   #5

Just for clarification, we were trying to figure out the rack on top of the trunk. :)

Rickyboy, I just noticed that the rack on the bottom kicks up on the rear, mine lays flat all the way across.

The flat rack fits the smaller Venture trunk (prior to 86?) You can tell by the latch that opens it, the larger one has large horizontal latch. The smaller one has the single round keyhole latch.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-10-2008, 05:55 AM   #6
Top Contributor

Yes I noticed that Dan. I guess that larger trunk is the Yamaha Royal and the smaller trunk is on the VX1200 or was it called the XV1200? The Royal came with a trunk mounted brake light as well. My trunk is the smaller trunk so that other type of rack might look too big on my trunk. Hummm....I do like the "lip" on the larger rack. That's why I was thinking of seeing what the newer style of rack might look like on my trunk, because it has a "lip" at the rear of the rack....and see if it would even fit mine. I think I'll trip on down to the dealer and see if by chance they have one in stock. Take it home and see if it'll fit.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 11-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Smaller trunk 1982 - 1984 all Model Venture's. Larger trunk 1985 - 1993 all Model's. 1982 - 1985 were removable and had locks that you could unclip trunk for service or what ever.
1982 - 1984 all cracked!!!! Repair was to drill small hole at end of crack and stop it from getting bigger. 1985 - 1988 all cracked under the Backrest mount, there was a small plate installed by factory to stop the passsenger from leaning back too hard and cracking out the backrest mounts. 1986 - 1987 cracked under the matt where the trunk bolted to the factory rack. Large washers were supplied to correct this problem for 1988. Ask any first generation Venture question and I will be happy to answer.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to nomad

what about the trunks you see on ebay? they offer a chrome rack for an additional 45$. anyone tried those? one is on there right now...thought i might get it.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewindgy
Smaller trunk 1982 - 1984 all Model Venture's. Larger trunk 1985 - 1993 all Model's. 1982 - 1985 were removable and had locks that you could unclip trunk for service or what ever.
1982 - 1984 all cracked!!!! Repair was to drill small hole at end of crack and stop it from getting bigger. 1985 - 1988 all cracked under the Backrest mount, there was a small plate installed by factory to stop the passsenger from leaning back too hard and cracking out the backrest mounts. 1986 - 1987 cracked under the matt where the trunk bolted to the factory rack. Large washers were supplied to correct this problem for 1988. Ask any first generation Venture question and I will be happy to answer.
I've had one of the larger, and three of the smaller, everything that you describe fits my experience.

Sounds like you used to have a Venture huh?

Old 11-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Maybe one or three. New 1985 0 til 125,00 miles moved up to a new 1987 0 til 210,000 miles moved up to a not new 1988 with 20,000 til 87,000 miles then got the 06 Nomad. Had Yamaha built a good new style Venture probably would have bought another one!

Old 11-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Hey Dan,
Is your brown trunk considered one of the small trunks? The guy on eBay said the flat rack you've looked at for me, and I'm considering, is off the "large trunk". He won't measure the rack for me and I'm wondering if the orig. owner might have just had the smaller rack put on the lrg. trunk. Is that your bike with the Lrg. trunk? and is that a stock OEM rack? Or is it a newer style rack from Yamaha or somewhere?
Maybe you have some info rewindgy. Lay it on me Bro.. I only have a day to move on the rack on eBay.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 11-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #12

Round key hole only is the small trunk. The horizontal latch in the bottom pic is the large one.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Ricky
....In my basement I have a large venture trunk (early 90's) with its chrome rack which I could measure for you. Also have several of the smaller units (early 80's) but none of them have the chrome racks. If there is anything I can help you with as far as pics or measurements, let me know! :)

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 11-11-2008, 12:55 AM   #14
Top Contributor

Thanks lomax,
I had a 98 Venture with a rack on the trunk. I don't know if one like that would fit the '84 trunk or not. What do think?? I liked that style of rack. There is a rack on eBay that is 16" c to c on the front legs and 8" c to c on the rear legs. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...sPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=400004866853I'm

I'm wondering how that will fit.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 11-11-2008, 01:19 AM   #15
Advanced Member

...When I clicked on the ebay link, ebay says the item has been cancelled. So without seeing it, not sure what it would look like. But measuring on my 84 trunk, it should work if available. The rack I have is 13 in. c to c across the front and rear legs and 5 in. c to c front to back. This rack is from a 91 Venture. It actually looks quite large for the smaller trunk, but would work. Original racks for the early smaller trunks are getting tougher to find, as you are finding out. Good luck with it!

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"