Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to nomad
gutting the goat belly

i have one to gut (thanks to AG). i managed to cut around it with my dremel, and about halfway thru it with the hacksaw....now the hard part. the hacksaw "bottoms out" about halfway thru...what now? any of you ever done this? i really don't know of anyone with a bandsaw.....and i am so close i don't want to pay someone else to finish it. i have a mig welder to put it back together. suggestions?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #2

gutting the goat belly

Borrow a Sawzall from someone and get the longest blade you can at the hardware store. If you can't borrow one, I would bet that the rental store in Home Depot has it.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #3

gutting the goat belly

If yo have it cut all the way around, figure a way to hold one half, and twist the other half till it breaks free? ;)

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 11-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #4

gutting the goat belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad
i have one to gut (thanks to AG). i managed to cut around it with my dremel, and about halfway thru it with the hacksaw....now the hard part. the hacksaw "bottoms out" about halfway thru...what now? any of you ever done this? i really don't know of anyone with a bandsaw.....and i am so close i don't want to pay someone else to finish it. i have a mig welder to put it back together. suggestions?
I paid a fabricator to gut my goat. I did attempt to understand the procedure. These are the main points I recall about it.

I gave him the instructions from Gadget’s site to follow, but after first cutting along the seem, he welded it back together and cut across the belly in a direction I can’t remember, I looked at the goat tonight to see if I could see and then describe the cuts, but it’s too dark to see in my cramped space.

I kept the converter, and have provided some pictures below with the hope you can see the flange that remains after cutting and it helps you understand where to cut next.

I can't tell you what he used to make this cut.

The pictures in the left column are all of one side of the inverter. The pictures in the right column are of the other side of the converter

Good luck,

Old 11-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to nomad
gutting the goat belly

cool. i did manage to get it apart this morning...what a pain! next time, i'll just pay someone. now, to gut it and weld it back together...i'll let you all know how it went.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #6

gutting the goat belly

If anyone's interested - The fabricator that did mine will do others by mail for $100 + shipping to West Sacramento California. NOTE: It is cheaper shipping back to you because the converter itself weighs a few pounds :)