Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-08-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Windshield question...

So I'm washing the bike this afternoon, following Gadget's procedure to a tee. I'm manipulating the towel to get all the nooks n crannies best I can, etc etc. But what's with this "double lower windshield" stuff? I've noticed on rides that a kind of "film" develops down low on the windshield (kind of like the film on the inside of a car windshield when you don't clean it often enough; a blueish hue) and now I guess I know it's probably from that "double windshield" down there. What gives? Why is it like that and how can I get 'tween it to dry it (short of spending $200-$300 on one of those blow dryer units)?

Never seen anything like that on a bike before... Wudupwidat???

Thanks,
Daryl ???

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #2

Windshield question...

My suggestion would be, if your windshield is all the way down, take it off. You don't need it if the windshield is at the bottom. Other than that, I would recommend taking it off, polishing it up with a good plastic polish (Meguires) and applying a coat of rain-x to it to keep as much of the elements off of it. It's basically like a convertible top, if it does not get cleaned much, it will begin to haze over. If you don't have passenger, take it off and just install some lowers to reduce buffeting and walla!!!!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Windshield question...

That part was put there so if you raise the windshield all the way up you can loosen the screws on the lower section and lower the second shield down to close the space behind the headlight. Really a dumb design.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Windshield question...

Ahhhhh, capice! Thanks BD for the info and Chmorro for the advice on the RainX. I have a bottle sitting on the shelf in the garage. Guess I should make use of it, huh?

But either way, I leave both "layers" on, right? I just adjust accordingly to suit the windshield adjustment for my height/preference???

Cheers,
Daryl

Old 11-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #5

Windshield question...

As soon as I get a chance to lower my windsheild all the way down I'm gonna take that stupid 2nd peice off. I'm guessing I'll need some kind of spacer though.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Windshield question...

You will. Mine's all the way up and the second is all the way down and to be honest I don't think is does a damn thing. I will take mine off one day.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-09-2007, 08:03 AM   #7

Windshield question...

There is no need to leave the second 'small' piece on if you have the windshield all the way down. As BD stated it's only needed if you have the windshield all the way up, leaving you that gap above the headlight bucket and bottom of the main shield. It's been so long since I took mine off, but there should be four small plastic bushings at the mounting points of the small shield that you will need to leave in place (if you don't have them, go to the hardware store and pick up some small plastic spacers to replace the small shield and you'll be good to go. The key to keeping those windshields from 'hazing' is to keep them clean. You'll soon notice even the portion of your windshield thats covered by the metal bracket on the front of your windshield (facing you) will also haze up and you'll have to take the windshield apart to get to it. FYI--Just be careful when your removing the the small windshield and removing the screws not to scratch your windshield, due to all of the small pebbles and sand particles that get lodged between the brackets and shield.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #8

Windshield question...

I run my windshield all the way down. First thing I did was remove that lower shield. You will need some kind of spacer. Since I am not going to use it, I sacrificed the lower shield to the bandsaw. I cut off the ends flush with the chrome mounting hardware and used them as spacers. It works well. You should only do this if don't plan on using the lower shield.

JohnR

Old 11-09-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
VBA Founder

Windshield question...

I agree....bad design. Last year, I repositioned my windshield to the highest level setting, then loosened the bolts that hold the sub-windshield on and tried to slide it down as the docs suggested. Scratched the hell out of both windshields due to dirt being trapped in between that I couldn't see.

Checked into replacing just the plastic.....518.00 bucks. I've been trying to buy new plastic for a 2005 off ebay ever since. So, word to the wise...if you do anything with the sub windshield, take the windshield off and take everything apart.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 11-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #10

Windshield question...

Try Clearview Shields. You can get a replacement for way less than 518. It's also much thicker. You won't need any spacers. They also do custom heights. I have one on order.

JohnR

Old 11-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #11

Windshield question...

I have one on order too.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #12

Windshield question...

i installed a clearview replacement shield on my Nomad.. it's of great quality. Alot thicker than the original. I can't stress how important it is to keep everything clean and go slow in disassembly and assembly as the slightest metal or rock or whatever will scratch the shield. I reinstalled my new clearview and wasn't paying attention and slightly scratched the shield down by the brackets. Just an FYI

Old 11-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #13
VBA Founder

Windshield question...

Quote:
Try Clearview Shields. You can get a replacement for way less than 518. It's also much thicker. You won't need any spacers. They also do custom heights. I have one on order.

JohnR
What did it cost you, John?
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 11-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #14

Windshield question...

I ordered a clear custom height. It cost 231.37. That included shipping.

JohnR