Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 08-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Yet another reminder...

A few months ago, I mentioned a horrific accident involving the member of a group I ride with. The group was heading back to Phoenix after having brunch in Payson, a town about 90 miles NE of Phoenix. One of the riders hit a piece of wood that had apparently fallen off a truck and went into the guardrail at 55-60 MPH. He ended up losing a leg and nearly had to have an arm amputated. There was a group of American Legion Riders that just happened to be be passing by and they helped stabilize the victim and directed traffic around the crash scene. Their quick action probably saved the riders life.

Yesterday, the injured rider and his wife held a BBQ at their house to thank the members of both clubs for their help and support immediately after the crash, and long after. The group went for a ride to the top of South Mountain, a mountain park directly S of downtown Phoenix. As you might guess, the road to the top is narrow and very winding, with sheer drop-offs in places. One of the American Legion Riders somehow rode off the edge of the road, falling 20 feet to his death. His passenger had only minor injuries. Both were in their 70's.

Just another reminder of the inherent dangers of riding.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Yet another reminder...

My word!! You read something like this and really don't know what to say. This is trully tragic. I would imagine that the first victim who was celebrating his recovery has got feel really awful now and may feel some responsibility. He will need some more TLC for a while. My prayers are with that group.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 08-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #3

Yet another reminder...

That's horrible Cactus, sorry to hear about the 'insult added to injury' type of a situation.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Yet another reminder...

In both cases, the riders were very seasoned, experienced riders. The accident yesterday makes you wonder if the rider may have had some medical issue, like a stroke or heart attack that caused him to go over the edge.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 AM   #5

Yet another reminder...

That sucks. We do need reminders like this. There are a lot of log trucks traveling Hwy. 101, and many who ride here ride too close to the cage in front of them. It is not uncommon to see an auto travel over a large piece of bark, but a bike wouldn't be able to fair as well with the same obstacle.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Yet another reminder...

Rksaw, you weren't a member here when I posted about the first crash. There was a group of riders on AZ-87 (the Beeline Hwy) between Payson and Mesa, AZ-87 is a good 4-lane road. It was a Sunday, around 12:30PM and this group was in staggered formation doing about 60 MPH. A piece of wood (don't know what it could have been, a 2x4, a log, a post, etc) fell off a truck as it passed the group. The rider that hit the wood was in the middle of the pack, so others had passed through that exact same spot seconds earlier and reported nothing on the road. Just a case of wrong place at the wrong time. The rider went into the guardrail and was seriously injured. What really sucks is it was his first ride with that group.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 08-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #7

Yet another reminder...

When I see trucks carrying loads that could come off at me I do the "what if" in my mind. "What if" is a way, for me, to stay alert and stay in the present. "What if" that board falls off that truck in front of me, what will I do?? Am I following so close that I couldn't slow and avoid it or swerve around it....'WHAT IF" is a great game to play when riding for any scenerio.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #8

Yet another reminder...

It seems like its a curse, Its a tragic end to a getogether.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-20-2008, 03:42 AM   #9

Yet another reminder...

Man, CJ...that does suck. Sometimes we just gotta say that we are not in charge of what happens. I guess that's why we need to enjoy each day we are given and not take our time for granted.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:32 PM   #10

Yet another reminder...

What a tragedy. Sorry to hear this bad news but it is good for us to post them. Sad reminders to us that we need to remain on guard at all times. Complacency is one of a rider's worst enemies. Take care....

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 08-27-2008, 05:27 AM   #11

Yet another reminder...

Sends shivers through my body hearing such stories! Really sorry to hear about the accidents, Scott. Riding is inherently dangerous and your story goes to show that no matter how long you've been in the saddle, the risk factor doesn't deminish. Prayers to all involved!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #12

Yet another reminder...

Sorry to hear about this tragedy. My prayers go out to all involved. There are so many things out there that can go wrong that we have no control over so it is so important for each of us to keep our vulnerability in mind and maintain vigilance when we ride. You cannot be too careful and it starts with ATGATT, skills and riding smart. Whenever I hear about an accident, especially a fatality, I try to see where the rider failed. Most often, it involves either speed or alcohol and bad judgement. But, in these two incidents it seems fate took over. I accept the potential risks and pray that my risk management skills by applying ATGATT, skills and riding smart will improve my odds and bring me home safe with each ride.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:10 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Yet another reminder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdoc
When I see trucks carrying loads that could come off at me I do the "what if" in my mind. "What if" is a way, for me, to stay alert and stay in the present. "What if" that board falls off that truck in front of me, what will I do?? Am I following so close that I couldn't slow and avoid it or swerve around it....'WHAT IF" is a great game to play when riding for any scenerio.
Excellent advice, flightdoc. Thanks.