Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-18-2019, 11:53 PM   #1

Abs???

At 50 years old I am finally going to get a motorcycle!!! I had originally thought I would be jumping on an HD but after much research, I believe a Voyager is in my future.

I found a really nice example with low miles but no ABS. The only riding experience I have is on an HD Street 500 when I took the training to get my endorsement. I had been thinking that I would only buy a Voyager with ABS, but now I'm wondering what you experienced riders would say. Do I hold out for the ABS, or go ahead and buy this non-ABS model?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-19-2019, 08:18 AM   #2

I would suggest you ride one first. Any bike this large can be a lot to handle for someone with no experience. Quite a few find these to be to tall for them (you can lower them some with aftermarket parts), and top heavy. Hard to back up if you have limited ground reach, aka short legs.

I have a 1600 Nomad and a 1700 Voyager. Both are heavy, the 1600 sets lower. But the 1700 handles so much better.

As for the K-Act ABS I really like mine. It really make the braking so much quicker , smoother, and easier. Connecting the front and rear brakes together is a big part of it. https://www.kawasaki.ca/media/mig/20...s/page0007.pdf

But if you know how to properly use the brakes, Not sure its a deal breaker not having them.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 06-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #3

I would highly recommend taking the MSF course and practicing a lot in parking lots.

Big bikes real challenges are at slow speeds.

I don't see ABS vs. Non-abs being a big deal for a qualified rider.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 06-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #4

I took the MSF course and got my MC endorsement at age 55 and got a Honda Sabre. 1100 CCs. That was a lot of bike to handle as a new rider, but certainly doable. A Voyager is a much bigger and heavier bike. Learning slow maneuvers on it would be very hard for a new rider. I love the Voyager, but I'm glad I learned on a smaller bike.

P.S. Can't speak to ABS. My Voyager does not have it and I have never ridden a bike with it.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
I would highly recommend taking the MSF course and practicing a lot in parking lots.

Big bikes real challenges are at slow speeds.

I don't see ABS vs. Non-abs being a big deal for a qualified rider.

I agree with you

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I did the MSF course through the HD dealer and realized then that I would need a touring bike to be comfortable. I did the course on a Street 500 and it felt like a mini bike, with myself being 6' 3" 370#.

When I do pull the trigger I will certainly spend a lot of time practicing, especially low speed maneuvers in empty parking lots.

In my daily checks of the used Voyager market I have blasted past the non-ABS models but have missed out on some great deals. I like the idea of the linked ABS brakes but I think I will check out bikes without the feature.

I've been lurking on the forum for a while and learning a lot. When I bring one home I'll let you all know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 06-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #7

ScottFL..The MSF course in my state offers the option of using course provided 250cc motorcycles to take the course.

Taking advantage of using a smaller bike might help in the transition to a larger bike.

Saying that, I will say I did take the msf course using my 2003 Nomad. I had taken a hiatus from street bikes for 20 years ( although I had always kept my hand in the dirt bike world).

I'm sure using the Nomad was more difficult than a 250cc, but I'm not sure I would have gone back and tried / practiced the same things on the Nomad if I had did the 250cc first.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Only you know yourself and know what you should really do to protect yourself and your family.

VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 06-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #8

My second HD Ultra Classic did have ABS and when I was looking to get back to riding again I would only look at ABS equipped bikes. The K-ACT system on the Voyager is great and well worth it.

When buying used you have to figure out if you want to only purchase a bike with ABS or another that doesn't have ABS but a great deal. I did have an '05 Nomad before my '15 Voyager. When I was looking to buy a new bike only ABS would satisfy me.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 06-19-2019, 09:46 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
…………... When I was looking to buy a new bike only ABS would satisfy me.
The K-ACT system has spoiled me. I love riding into a sharp curve, hammering on it, and not having the nose dive with the brakes. Feels planted to the asphalt.

As for starting out on a large/heavy bike just be sure you have strong legs. Chances are strong you will dump it on it side a couple of times at low speeds. The Voyager is top heavy and will get you when you lease expect it. When you do get use to it she's great.

For low speed parking lot practice you can cut tennis balls in half and lay then out in a pattern. Very forgiving if you run over then.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #10
Top Contributor

I was stopped in a gas station when my Voyager went over. I turned around to see if my son had finished filling up with gas. As I turned around the bike went over a few degrees and before I knew it the bike was heading for the floor and I couldn't stop it.
Luckily no damage was done, not a scratch. The crash bars did a great job.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #11

Check this site out. It is all about what you are talking about. His videos are excellent. Saw him at bike week demo all the techniques and he is good. I use many of the things I learned from the videos each day! http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/member.php?u=8205

P.S. You can probably find most of his stuff on YouTube for free!
Ivan's flash and lots of other stuff

"God is good even when we aren't!!"

Old 06-20-2019, 02:00 PM   #12
Top Contributor

The link is to a forum member ?

Old 06-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #13

Question The Voices of Experience should count for something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottFL View Post
Thanks for the replies. I did the MSF course through the HD dealer and realized then that I would need a touring bike to be comfortable. I did the course on a Street 500 and it felt like a mini bike, with myself being 6' 3" 370#.
ABS is nice, especially for pulling things. Is it a must have?, no, not for regular riding.

We are just trying to look out for you - Sharing our MANY combined years of wisdom.
I have TAUGHT the MSF course, IMHO buy an inexpensive 900 ~ 1100 no frills cruiser. Just for the rest of this summer's riding season. Understand that a big bike may feel more comfortable. Tossing a 900lb Voyager (895) behemoth around is not a task to be taken lightly. A 600lb (634) V Star 1100 can be enough of a challenge at slow speeds or on poor surface conditions.
Later, buy the big cruiser, with bags and trunk towards the end of this season, or beginning of next. E.G. Please gets some miles and real world traffic experience on more a manageable machine. Consider this; driving a 900cc Vulcan will help you APPRECIATE the luxury of the 1700 Voyager. If you jump straight to the Cadillac, you won't know that's what it is...

I started with a KZ440G as my first street bike in '82. That bike and every increment of machine since then has taught me lessons. I'd be dead now if my first bike then had been the GL1100. (<-- I believe the biggest bike out at the time...)

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Last edited by smokier; 06-20-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Tossing a 900lb Voyager (895) behemoth around is not a task to be taken lightly.
Quite the punner heh?

Old 06-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeezer View Post
Quite the punner heh?

Ride safe,
Smokier