Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-17-2019, 07:36 PM   #1

What’s this?

This is the top of the head below the valve cover. I have a leak that I thought was the cam plug, but it seems to be coming from the top and leaking down.

This that I’m pointing to is looseand I’m wondering if it has anything to do with my leak. Any thoughts?

99 Nomad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C0C8041-076F-406D-B4E7-029D26280472.jpg (13.7 KB, 87 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by TexasRich; 05-17-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:11 AM   #2

Are you saying the chrome cam cover is loose ? If it is,its leaking from the gasket,you will need to take the engine out to fix it.Not an easy job,and not one that you can do alone either.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:35 AM   #3

Thanks mick. No, the chrome cover is fine. There is a plastic or hard rubber thing that wraps around the top part of the head above the top fin on the head. That is what the screwdriver is pointing at. It’s secured to the head on the front half of the head, but loose on the back side. That’s what I’m trying to figure out.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:15 AM   #4

Thats the cam plug you are pointing at.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRich View Post
Thanks mick. No, the chrome cover is fine. There is a plastic or hard rubber thing that wraps around the top part of the head above the top fin on the head. That is what the screwdriver is pointing at. It’s secured to the head on the front half of the head, but loose on the back side. That’s what I’m trying to figure out.
There are 3 of those under the cover.2 small ones at the back,and 1 large one at the front.They are there to cushion the cover,and stop it rattling about.I cant imagine how they would come lose,unless the cover has been off,and was not put back on correctly.It could be, if that was the case,that when the bolts were tightened down,they got in the way,and the gasket never got properly sealed.I would explore all other possibilties before taking the engine out to check it.Try cleaning around the outer groove of the cam plug with a sharp blade,then clean it well with some spirit before cramming some sealant back into the recess. Oil leaks can be deceptive,as to where they originate from.The wind as you ride along,can deposit it far away from it's point of origin.Here is what you are looking at.Parts 92160, + A &B.https://www.kawasakioriginalparts.co...-G2&country=GB

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by mick56; 05-18-2019 at 11:38 AM.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Correct me if I am wrong.

I believe they are the dampers for Cylinder Head Covers.

Do OEM parts search for your year model and you should see the part (s) needed for the cylinder head covers.

You could remove the seat to check some of the bolts that fasten the Cover - the sad thing is that you can only get to a few of the bolts due to the frame.

Are you sure its not the Cam Plug ? as when leaking the air flow when riding blows the oil upwards.

Last edited by rolfe; 05-24-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #7

Yes, its hard as hell to just peek for a moment and see a oil leak. Wash engine really good, no pressure washing, just what can be removed with a soap despensor type spray gun that attaches to the garden hose. Dry things good, as good as you get.
Now, when you can't find a leak, after you've got a clean engine (within reason), you can see where the oil is weeping from. Sometimes, thats stuff is too sneaky even for me to put a evil eye on.
Sooooo, I add some Oil Dye. Yes folks that right, oil dye!
Now, crank and run your bike till its leaking, get out a UV light....and you will see the glowing problem, where-ever it may be....

If its seeping pretty good, and you do discover loose cover bolts, you can drop your engine some, moving it slightly forward and to the right (towards removed downtube), just enough so you can retorque your top covers.
Technically, your unbolting the engine and moving it to access the bolts...

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI