Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #1

Powertrain vibration

I just purchased a leftover 2015 Vaquero. I like the bike, I like the riding position, i like the radio, I like the looks. When I started driving it I found I have an unbelievably harsh vibration in the powertrain. I brought it to the dealer's attention and they had the mechanic go for a little spin on it. He went behind the garage with it with no helmet on, I don't know how far he went but to my surprise he said it was fine. I'm not new to bikes, I own a 2000 Goldwing since new and a 2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide.
Is it normal to have such a violent vibration under acceleration, and I even feel a small bit of it while cruising. The dealership where I bought the bike do not sell a lot of bikes, especially baggers.
Arnold

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #2

i just bought a voyager and i think it does the same thing i just chalked it up to the drive belt and never owning one with a belt but then again i could be wrong. someone with better knowledge than me will post
02 nomad 1500 sold

https://epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap...FL.NJ.MD.CT.RI

Old 10-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #3

I hear you clucking big chicken, Same problem here. My dealer said it was better than others he has driven. ( Not Buying It ) . "It is the big twin motors, they like RPMs." most of it dissipates some above 2900 rpms, but still all this money for a vibration. Oh And they told me its almost bullet proof. I HAVE NEVER PURCHASED DRY LAND IN FLORIDA, Just saying. Previous bike was a 2007 1500 classic ( that's a big twin ?) Very smooth compared, I want it back.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:12 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG103 View Post
I just purchased a leftover 2015 Vaquero. I like the bike, I like the riding position, i like the radio, I like the looks. When I started driving it I found I have an unbelievably harsh vibration in the powertrain. I brought it to the dealer's attention and they had the mechanic go for a little spin on it. He went behind the garage with it with no helmet on, I don't know how far he went but to my surprise he said it was fine. I'm not new to bikes, I own a 2000 Goldwing since new and a 2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide.
Is it normal to have such a violent vibration under acceleration, and I even feel a small bit of it while cruising. The dealership where I bought the bike do not sell a lot of bikes, especially baggers.
Arnold
A coupla things to think about the skoot itself. Mine would give a hard shudder with low rpm's and a lot of throttle. But as the rpm's increase the the shudder dissipates. And I am referring to rpms starting at about 12 to 1500. By 2750 they should be gone, if you are in the correct gear.

SO keep your rpm's up, say 2000 and up when accelerating, and get it in the correct gear. The other skoots you have had, will have there own personalities.

Maximum torque occurs at 2750 rpm's.

Even going down the hwy fat and sassy you can feel the cylinder power stroke in the seat of your pants.

Get the Ivan's reflash on the ECU and drill the baffles out of the mufflers and things will really change and get smother.

Are your mirrors vibrating, cause the vibration I had at low rpm's would shake my mirrors but would go away as the rpm's increased, the mirrors would smoothen out.

You need time to develop a relationship with your skoot.

The intake can develop air leaks with some seals, and it might pay to check it out. It's not to hard.

Oh, and your intuition about these dealers is spot on. I had a problem with mine and one tech told me that this was the way these big twins are especially with a shaft drive. And this guy wanted to argue the point about the shaft drive. Hello, my skoot has a belt so I don't know what he was thinking.

This guy even told me I didn't know how to ride this thing. So if you think there is a problem, do your research, But stick to your guns.

This form has a lot of good knowledge so tap into it.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:28 PM   #5

Mine has a shudder/quake below 3000rpm also. Has been there since the day I bought it. For me it one of the things I enjoy about this bike over the last few I have had. In a way it reminds me of my 1981 Shovelhead. Makes me feel more connected with the bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-15-2016, 06:03 AM   #6

Probably not an issue with your bike - Although, they tend to come from the Factory with the Belt WAY TO TIGHT.

Next time you feel it Vibrating "DOWN SHIFT" see if it goes away.

Prior to having my Voyager ECU reflashed - it really didn't like 6th gear until about 70 or 75 MPH and really smoothed out at 80.

These things do need a little break in to get both smoothness and MPG.

As far as trying to compare it to any Goldwing. The wing has Power and is smooth and is very little character, kinda like a sewing machine on wheels. The Voyager/Vaquero has a different character Rumble, Vibrations and a way different power curve than either the Goldwing or Harley.

My suggestion - give it some time and miles - it will be very hard for you not to compare it to both the Wing or Street Glide - It's not either.

One last comment - before you give up on it - spend the $350 bucks to get the ECU upgraded - Before Pipes, Before air kits. Mine has stock air and pipes and it's much more enjoyable to ride. It really smooths the engine out.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #7

What Mike and Snake said...
Keep the RPM's up, at very least 2200 or higher. Rolling on at 1800 or 1900 will not be smooth, especially on a stock ECU.
Get the ECU re-flashed by IVAN.
Let the bike break in...

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Last edited by smokier; 10-15-2016 at 09:11 AM.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
Advanced Member

The Vaquero actually has more harshness built into it from the factory. Read how they do the clutch plates compared to the Voyager and Nomad. I was told it was the power pulses I was feeling.

Then I bought my '16 Road Glide Ultra after putting up with the Voyager for 60,000 miles. Night and day difference in power delivery and smoothness. Rode one of my favorite hilly curvy routes and was very happy with the improvement. Sure, the Kawasaki is still the better value, but this change was worth the extra $$$ to me.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 10-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #9

Clutch plates

I did read about the clutch plate differences in the Voyager vs Vaquero. I also seem to remember in a thread somewhere where they Polished the inside of the cover plate? something on that order. Any one do that?

Old 10-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #10

How many miles are on the bike, it does get much better after you have it broke in and the ECU reflash will help this also.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 10-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #11

Yes, I do need to finish the break-in. I have 534 miles on it so far. Looking back My 1500 had some of the same issues during break in. So Miles may change my mind and the character of the bike. I may look into the Rays Throttle mod this winter. But the Ivan Mod seems a bit extreme even though I have read most of the testimonials.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
Yes, I do need to finish the break-in. I have 534 miles on it so far. Looking back My 1500 had some of the same issues during break in. So Miles may change my mind and the character of the bike. I may look into the Rays Throttle mod this winter. But the Ivan Mod seems a bit extreme even though I have read most of the testimonials.
I went that route first and after doing the reflash I removed the throttle mod. If you would like to do that I could send you the part I took off mine and if you install the Avon Custom Contour Hand Grips it will slip right on. It may work on other grips but the Avon's are the ones I purchased from Ray with the mod installed.

Here is a link to the grips I had this mod on:
http://avongrips.com/shop/products/M...ome-Grips.html

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Last edited by JD Hog; 10-15-2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Added link

Old 10-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #13

I could try that, What do you want for the mod? So are you saying you removed the mod or you have grips for sale? I was under the impression the mod is not reversible, so I figured it would not be removable. Right now I am just looking to smooth out the throttle lag. And Get some miles on it in the next 2 days, Its 70f in Minneapolis this weekend.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
I could try that, What do you want for the mod? So are you saying you removed the mod or you have grips for sale? I was under the impression the mod is not reversible, so I figured it would not be removable. Right now I am just looking to smooth out the throttle lag. And Get some miles on it in the next 2 days, Its 70f in Minneapolis this weekend.
Yes, the mod was removed by taking off the metal ring that gives it quicker throttle response. It's just the metal ring that slips over the area where the throttle cables ride on. It came off the Avon grips that are still on my bike. I don't know if it will fit other grips or not. You would most likely have to purchase the same grips I have to use this. Compare that to Ray's price of purchasing the grips already set up from him. I don't think it would cost me much to send the ring to you, if you wanted to cover that cost I would let you have it free.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 10-16-2016, 06:29 AM   #15

Thank you all who have replied. From the replies I got and from my searches on the internet, I suspect it may be the clutch. It is an odd working clutch, there seems to be a lot of slippage on engagement. Maybe the problem will lessen with usage. I sure hope I can find a solution to this problem because I just love this bike. I was at the local coffee shop yesterday and everyone was flipping over this bike, it's the lime green colour and looks fantastic. It feels really light and manoeuvrable, comfortable, and has decent power.
Arnold