Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-29-2016, 03:02 AM   #1

Antifreeze one time purge

Had a funny thing happen well not so funny on weekend I was in Jasper last week. This has happened once before ohhh over a year ago and 25 thousand k ago. I rode from campground into Jasper about 4 kms. I have a oil temp guage in the dip stick hole of my 2009 1700 Nomad and it was reading about 180 degrees at the time this happened. I found all the anti freeze from my reservoir had leaked out on my way into town about 4 kms about a pint I would say. I bought some more 50/50 antifreeze filled up reservoir and no problem from then on. I noticed front cylinder had fluid on it on second fin up from bottom and yes I know the heads are only thing cooled by the system on this bike but that is where the fluid was and a trail to back cylinder but this was caused I believe just by air pushing it back.

I pull a leasure lite trailer and in a couple days headed back home always watching my guage and checking on stops my fluid level and nothing changed no leaks at all.

On arrival at home I took off the tank and checked all clamps as that is only possible source of the leak I believe and must admit they were not tight they each had about one turn on the screw. This was all clamps on cylinders every clamp available for cooling system was about the same not real tight had some room to screw down tighter.

I could not check the trail of leak as just an hour before arriving home went through a down pour so washed all trace of trail away of leak. Bike never overheated at all at any time now or past.

Strange has anyone else had this happen in past I am wondering. I know the thermostat opens and stays open at 143 roughly degrees once warm. Hummm strange for sure.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #2

Never had that happen but check the radiator cap.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 07-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Check your radiator cap, for debris imbedded into the rubber seal area and weak spring. If there is dirt then it's time for a coolant system flush and it wouldn't hurt to replace the rad cap after 7 years anyway. I've replaced mine twice.
Contrary to popular belief, the heads as well as the cylinders are liquid cooled, so coolant could leak past the head gasket.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Last edited by gv550; 07-29-2016 at 08:15 AM.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:47 PM   #4

no coolant in oil good thing

Yes do see by the flow chart does cool the cylinders a bit. Other than the clamps I feel only other escape route would be the cap as the thermostat housing looks clean as a whistle doubt if that was the problem area. I will put on a new cap for the slight cost for sure.

Just had done a coolant flush one week prior to taking the trip to Jasper.

Last edited by buckey1313; 07-29-2016 at 02:02 PM.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:02 PM   #5

Maybe the cap wasn't quite tight.......that would be my guess if there is no other obvious source of leakage

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #6

cap was tight

Cap was tight but replacing cap as a precaution as not expensive to do at all. Happened once before so has to be some little hidden flaw that only pops up once in a very blue moon.