Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #1

NH/VT roads

Just got back from northern VT and NH. Like many of the states, I found the weather has really beaten up the roads. Bumps, frost heaves and holes make it the worst I've ever seen. With the cost of blacktop during this oil crisis, it's going to take a lot of money to repair them. Anyone else experiencing poor conditions?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #2

NH/VT roads

NC roads always suck, always

Old 06-17-2008, 12:10 AM   #3

NH/VT roads

Lots of bad roads in Louisiana too. Especially in the southernmost region. Those roads are laid on top of jello....

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 06-17-2008, 03:31 AM   #4
Advanced Member

NH/VT roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavor
Just got back from northern VT and NH. Like many of the states, I found the weather has really beaten up the roads. Bumps, frost heaves and holes make it the worst I've ever seen. With the cost of blacktop during this oil crisis, it's going to take a lot of money to repair them. Anyone else experiencing poor conditions?
Which roads were you on? There are some that were properly built with good drainage, but they are in the minority. We did take a severe beating with three mid-winter rainstorms that promptly froze up and caused the heaves. You should have tried riding on them in February and March. On route 118 in Canaan, NH our drivers were only able to proceed at 15-20 mph in a 50 mph zone. I have been on VT 100 from Waterbury to north of Morrisville and 15 from Burlington to the junction of 2 in W Danville and 2 into St Johnsbury and then south on US 5. I have also been up to Woodsville NH and then to Littleton on US10/302, but from N Woodstock, NH to Warren it was very rough going up the mountain on 118. I know 25 from Plymouth to at least Warren is a very good road. If y'ever come up this way let me know and I can try to fill you in on what roads are good.
As a rule of thumb 2 from Burlington, VT through NH and into ME is a very good road as is 302 from Barre, VT through NH and into ME is also good. VT100 is spotty especially in very rural areas. US7 is another great hwy, US5 is generally good as is US10 & US4

Old 06-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #5

NH/VT roads

I was on 16,26,302,112,3 to mention only a few. Next time I go into the area I'll give you a yell and get an update on the better roads. The side roads seem to be the worst. 3 seemed to be pretty good as it is one of the main roads. Some areas rattled our teeth though, weaving and bobbing like a boxer in a fight. I forgot about the drop at dixville notch going west. That drop always wakes you up. NH has always been one of my favorite places to ride, but like any other state it pays to know the roads.
Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-17-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

NH/VT roads

I live in Tamworth off Rt 16 and Rt 25... Over winter, like most of winter I had 6'6' of snow, in the un-plowed field, WHere plowing took place anything goes! The town put up a banking over 30 feet tall at the end of my driveway.

Rt 16 is concrete under that crap pavement. The Kanc Rt 112 is great... Rt 26? Looks like you went to maine...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-18-2008, 03:36 AM   #7
Advanced Member

NH/VT roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
I live in Tamworth off Rt 16 and Rt 25... Over winter, like most of winter I had 6'6' of snow, in the un-plowed field, WHere plowing took place anything goes! The town put up a banking over 30 feet tall at the end of my driveway.

Rt 16 is concrete under that crap pavement. The Kanc Rt 112 is great... Rt 26? Looks like you went to maine...
I went through your town last Saturday with two other bikes. (16S-113W-25W) All I saw were HD's headin' for Laconia. I'll be back through there tomorrow for the Ride to the Sky.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:43 AM   #8
Advanced Member

NH/VT roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavor
Now that I think of it I did see a black Nomad flash past somewhere between Conway and Meredith in the early afternoon on Saturday the 14th. Was that you? I was on 16 & 112 as well as 113, 25 & 104.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:20 AM   #9

NH/VT roads

Yes I was there on Sat and my bike is black. I wasn't the group leader so I basically was following the leader and couldn't tell you all the roads we hit. Since the roads were tough we didn't put all the miles we expected. About 700 from Fri till Sun. Couldn't tell you exactly what road we were on at what time.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

NH/VT roads

racinchef, Sounds like you entered town in Chocorua, either took the better road and twisties, or went over the hill, rough and corse, but shorter.. Turned left in the village, and went right by my road..... Woulda been the last right before the school and Checkers Restraunt.

I haven' t yet been over to the Weirs, but things look like a lesser head count than ever if you ask me.

I just got back from running down to Manchester taking 25 w to rt 3s, to Rt 104 w, and 93 to manch.. Then 101e to 125 n to 16n making a few stops with parts.

Not a whole lotta action.... I got a few chores and one more parts deliver, that i can use the Nomad for, so probably will hit the Weirs.

Wished I knew anyone was in the area.. I like meeting folks and takin' a short scoot..

I guess maybe I need the secret password to the New England sector... I wonder why there is such a thing in the first place?????

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #11

NH/VT roads

Good question. Why is there a password?

Old 06-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

NH/VT roads

Ya got me?????? I am newer here even though I run my yap.... I am rooted to New England these days too. I just do my stuff in the open, so never applied, and don't even know who to apply to for the 'Secret Pass Word'... Ho Ho Ho..

I just figured if another Yank was into a ride it would be in the open...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-21-2008, 05:02 AM   #13
Advanced Member

NH/VT roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Ya got me?????? I am newer here even though I run my yap.... I am rooted to New England these days too. I just do my stuff in the open, so never applied, and don't even know who to apply to for the 'Secret Pass Word'... Ho Ho Ho..

I just figured if another Yank was into a ride it would be in the open...
Not sure why its all passworded, but all you need to do is go to the very top of any screen and clink on the "messages" link where it say "You have 0 messages". In the screen thats comes up scroll down and click on the link "new message" in the tool bar and then in that screen that comes up just type "password" in subject, "Trip" in the TO section and then request a password to the New England area folder. When he replies you will see "You have 1 new message" I have thought about being the moderator of that folder, however, I have a very unreliable but free internet connection and can't count on it to make committments
I am on call this weekend and have to stay within the Lebanon/White River Junction area. All other weekends I am off Friday through Sunday. We should just come up with a Saturday and get together somewhere to ride.