Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-13-2015, 09:30 PM   #1

Question Pinging?

06 Nomad, 44k miles, big three. I have owned the bike since it had 2500 miles on it and have used 91 or 93 octane almost the entire time I've owned it. Since learning that is the wrong octane to use I have switched to 87 and add 5 oz of Seafoam to each tank to try to clean any deposits present, probably 6 or 7 tanks so far. I keep the throttle bodies clean, the K&N filter clean, I have replaced the cam chain tensioners, I went with the iridium plugs about 2 wks ago which is the last time i cleaned the throttle bodies. I also have used only Mobil 1 from day one. The problem I noticed today and several times in the past is when riding about 70 if I go to pass someone I get pinging like crazy. If I just roll on the throttle no pinging. My settings on the fuel processor are 3-5-0. I have played with those and have adjusted the third pot, the one that controls the injectors for hard acceleration, anywhere from 0-4 and still I get the pinging. When I first crank in the morning in idles rough until warm and then she runs fine. Any ideas on how to stop/fix? Have I harmed the engine beyond fixing without opening it up?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-13-2015, 11:10 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
How did you arrive at those settings?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #3

Those are the recommended settings from Cobra but I also tested each and found that the bike runs well with those. When I decrease them it will sputter and when increased I can smell fuel except on the third pot.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #4

So , here's my story short . 2001FI , V&H Duels , BAK . I had a power commander for the first three years. Had the bike on a dyno . Always pinged when I went to pass ( WOT ). Then PC bit it . I had to wait 4 weeks for my new Dobeck EJK to arrive. I had ordered a new/used throttle body off a 2008 because the TPS had a dead spot. I installed the new TB. At the same time I set the TPS ( without the Dobeck ) and made a few test runs until the pinging stopped . I use 87 octane fuel. Installed the dobeck and tuned it the best I could. Still working on popping on decel but no pinging what so ever.
Temp here has been 30+
Here is gadgets web page explaining the process if your interested.
http://www.vulcangadgets.com/files/tps_adjust.html

Hope this helps . Might be something worth looking into.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #5

Gadgets is saying these engines need the higher octane but folks on here swear by lower octane due to 1600 has 9:1 compression...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-14-2015, 08:37 PM   #6

Very true . The reason for fine tuning the TPS is to help reduce the pinging. This is usually done if you do not have an EFI installed. Then you would want to run a higher octane fuel ( 91 , 93 ) .
When I had my power commander I still had pinging during hot weather . When I removed the power commander I decided to try gadgets TPS adjustment . I was running 91 octane without an EFI and got no pinging.
Then , when my EJK arrived I hooked it up . I'm still presently working with fine tuning but even with the hot weather I have no pinging . I have since started using 87 octane fuel and no pinging.

Normally you shouldn't have to reset the TPS when adding a EFI but since I had to install a new TB with a new TPS and had to set it anyway.

Just something I thought I'd throw out to you because it worked for me.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #7

bump

Old 08-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Get it dyno'd, by a good bike tuner. That was what I had to do with mine to fix it. And I disagree with the masses, use the higher octane.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhthept View Post
Gadgets is saying these engines need the higher octane but folks on here swear by lower octane due to 1600 has 9:1 compression...
Normally you won't need to run high test in a low compression engine, but to meet emissions the Normads are running lean and as a bandaid use high test to reduce the predetonation caused by the lean condition. Those using regular are probably running a fuel processor to richen up the mixture.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-15-2015, 10:18 PM   #10

I am useing a fuel processor...

Old 08-15-2015, 11:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhthept View Post
I am useing a fuel processor...
I have no fuel processor and run 91. I don't knock but I suspect we have better fuel up here, less ethanol in the reg and as far as I know still little or none in the high test at most stations.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #12

Lots and lots of knowledge here....
I have an '01 carb and always use premium gas and experiencing the same issue now. I have Cobra pipes, hypercharger, and dyno a year or so ago... What should I do to fix mine?

VROC #36658

-viajar con pasión

Old 08-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #13

The short answer is with a carbed bike if your pinging, go to a fatter (larger) main jet. Actually if you did those mods without increasing jet sizes I am sure you are running lean.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #14

Will do.

You're right, it is running somewhat lean...

VROC #36658

-viajar con pasión

Old 08-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #15

I'm running stock debaffled exhaust, dual 9" intakes and a fuel controller. The fuel controller is set to wiesco's recommended settings and i still seem to get pinging at WOT 4-5th gear. This is with 87,89,91 and 93. Should i look to add fuel, and what rating should be best?