Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
Advanced Member

navigation ?

what navigation are you guys using after yesterdays fiasco I am interested in something tom tom or garmin or something biker friendly and mount to the vaquero

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #2

I have a Zumo 350 (I think that number is correct) from Garmin. I got it when I bought my Voyager and it works well for me. The touch screen works even if you are wearing gloves though I could wish the screen was easier to read in bright sunlight.

Physics & Astronomy Teacher
Boulder High School
Boulder, Colorado

Mysteriously, wonderfully, I bid farewell to what goes, I greet what comes; for what comes cannot be denied, and what goes cannot be detained. --Master Chuang--

Old 07-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbagger View Post
what navigation are you guys using after yesterdays fiasco I am interested in something tom tom or garmin or something biker friendly and mount to the vaquero
I have been using the garmin 660 on My voyager for 6 years. Never a problem with it. Only get lost when I want to then punch in a destination and it takes me there every time. Avoids gravel roads also which is really cool.
I have updated maps on this also a few times. The newer 665 or 590 models from Garmin have a few more options, but, cost more too.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #4

I've been using a TomTom Rider but decided to try a Pioneer AppRadio. It didn't work out. Once the cell data was lost so was the GPS. Back to the TomTom.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 07-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #5

I use the Garmin 2557 which is a car GPS so you do struggle with the screen when the sun is behind you. I like it because it allows me to map out rides on the computer with Base Camp using as many stops/waypoints as needed and then transfer to the GPS. I always have at least a dozen trips on the GPS that I can use any time.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #6

Garmin 665 which cleared all he stuff on my handlebars into one package which I can use in car, truck and RV as well. Does a great job of NAV and also does all the music stuff you would expect. Add to that XM radio and satellite WX and traffic. Its great while on the road to get rerouted around a wreck on the highway or a severe thunderstorm. They can be gotten online refurbed for a very reasonable price.
VulcanBagger #01711, VRA/GA VRA, SCRC,
VROC #29671, AMA #1085989,
Red Knights MC GA-18 Pres, PGR

Old 07-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #7

I have a nuvi 255w. Great unit for getting unlost. No planning option though.
||VBA #03091||

Old 07-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #8

I have a Garmin 350LM, It is awesome, and has survived several rides in torrential downpours, and I have no problems with it washing out in sunlight.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 07-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #9

I use a map. Truthfully I don't care if I get lost. More fun finding a way out. Enjoy life, it ends quickly.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
I use a map. Truthfully I don't care if I get lost. More fun finding a way out. Enjoy life, it ends quickly.
Quite fitting! Must be why your screen name is old school. Nuttin wrong with the old school way.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #11

Quote:

A lot of times I write rough directions on mirror with grease pencil and look for interesting side roads on GPS. If I like the looks, I take them. Best feature on a GPS is take me home.
VulcanBagger #01711, VRA/GA VRA, SCRC,
VROC #29671, AMA #1085989,
Red Knights MC GA-18 Pres, PGR

Old 07-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #12

I've been using my car TomTom for several years. I keep a ziplock sandwich bag in case It rains.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 07-12-2015, 02:31 PM   #13

Have a Garmin 750 lm they all want to take you to interstate unless you go in and adjust the route I made a sun shield like one of the members on here helps a lot a zip lock bag for rain I also try to have a hard map in the saddle bag just in case

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 07-12-2015, 06:19 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm kinda old school my self which there is nothing wrong with that but went to eat lunch overlooking lake gaston yesterday the same roads that tooks us there had disappeared while eating, now its raining, so we leave and going by memory where we came from isn't working. one of my buddies has a gps on his phone and it took us 45 min away from where we wanted to go to a major superslab that connects VA to NC speed limit is 70mph so semi's and cars were around 75 to 80 so we needed to keep up right? its raining its ass off, and we did it, wife on the back never opened her eyes from that point on till she could smell home. I failed to mention we had appt. to get to, we made it. so now I think navigation, and I'm not a techy person this is going to be a learning curve for me down loading maps, and using it
SKULLSHAKER

Old 07-13-2015, 05:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbagger View Post
I'm kinda old school my self which there is nothing wrong with that but went to eat lunch overlooking lake gaston yesterday the same roads that tooks us there had disappeared while eating, now its raining, so we leave and going by memory where we came from isn't working. one of my buddies has a gps on his phone and it took us 45 min away from where we wanted to go to a major superslab that connects VA to NC speed limit is 70mph so semi's and cars were around 75 to 80 so we needed to keep up right? its raining its ass off, and we did it, wife on the back never opened her eyes from that point on till she could smell home. I failed to mention we had appt. to get to, we made it. so now I think navigation, and I'm not a techy person this is going to be a learning curve for me down loading maps, and using it
SKULLSHAKER
Skullbagger, You don't need to be real tech savy to use any of the GPS systems. The great thing is 1 button to take you home. If you have to detour for any reason, it will auto reroute you to home. You would love having it just for what you just experienced. You can also choose to avoid highways on all of these which means the super slabs where it seems every cager is out there to run you over. Spend the money. I have also used the cheaper versions of GPS with a ziplock bag handy in case of rain.
The motorcycle versions of GPS are waterproof.
Shep