Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #1

Nomad dead now alive !!

Two days away from home down in Nakusp B.C. the bike dies! I had just finished riding some awesome roads pretty much flat out when I had to stop for a ferry crossing. I shut it off and waited, then went to fire it up when the ferry was loading but it wouldn't fire. Everything seemed to cycle but no fire in the hole. Hmmm...I pushed the bike out of the line up to the side and pulled out my trusty Kawasaki tool kit and began trouble shooting. Three ferrys later I decided to call for help. I got towed about 30 miles at a cost of 300 bucks..real nice eh. Then stored at the tower's yard for two days while I continued to search for 50 bucks a day..yikes...finally I had to give up and call for a ride. A friend drove 18hrs and 18hrs back to get me home. I ordered a manual, ignition switch and a icu for a total of 275.00. I read that book several times and was very impressed with the safety back up systems the icu has in it..but it still didn't help. I replaced the ign. and icu..still no fire in the hole. What it turned out to be was the tip over sensor. Nothing wrong with it ...it works well....what happened was the screws holding it in place...backed off..fell off..took a hike and left the sensor dangling...which went into tip over mode...geez eh....all is working well now and the old girl is back on the road again.
Meanwhile, knowing I was going to be down for several weeks waiting for parts to arrive and convincing myself that I haven't had a new bike for 8 yrs now, I sold myself on the idea of its time for a new one.
I went to the local kawi dealer with the intent of not buying one but figured I should go anyways. First bike that hit me was the zx14 for a mere 15600 out the door..hmmm...oh to be young again...nope..besides, I already have a zx11 sitting in the garage...then..there it was..a vaquero..hmm..19600..nope..didn't appeal to me, besides my nomad looks similar with the reckless fairing on it...hmmm...had no intention of buying here anyways..and no one at the dealer felt like even acknowledging I was even in the building. Off I went to where I was going in the first place...off the the Harley shop to see what they had....hmm..was greated like a rockstar..coffee and all...no pressure to buy ..all the assistance I needed. I checked out the ultra classic..hmm..didn't fit very well...cramped...then jumped on the streetglide...shit ..fit like a glove...asked a few questions..got the 7 yrs warranty with roadside assistance for a mere 31k out the door and was on the road in two hrs. Just broke it in the other day and went for the first mandatory service..600 bucks later and the last time I pay for someone to do an oil change to my bike. The 103 with new cams really pulls hard but can't hear it, so I put some v/h slip ons on it...nice. The windshield looks really cool but way too short..eating to much road grit and bugs...went thru j+p cycles and ordered up a new windshield and pouches. Got a 3 week road trip coming up in a few weeks from now and its gonna be nice to be on a new bike.
As for the Nomad..she is all cleaned up and ready to ride and that is what I will be doing with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150614_054804.jpg (101.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20150614_054852.jpg (95.4 KB, 55 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #2

Congrats on the new bike. My brother purchased a new Street Glide last year and loves it.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 06-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #3

Wait a minuet...tip over switch??? Didn't know it had one. Where is it located? Seems like a good piece of information to have "just in case"!!

Nice rides!!

2006 Nomad 1600
Dobeck TFI, Chuckster intake, stock exhaust, coasters
VBA #02973

If life gives you lemons, add gin and tonic!

Old 06-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #4

Nice little tale of woes and woopies. I had no idea it was going to end with a Street Glide. It is fun to live vicariously ($31k, gulp! haha) through others.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #5

That's Canadien dollars. It would be around 25k USD.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #6

Glad to here you have a choice now .. hmmmm. where is that tip over switch?

Old 06-14-2015, 12:37 PM   #7

Congrats on the new bike PLEASE send us a picture and location of that tip over sensor. I need to know just in case I have a similar problem. Please share.

Ra

Old 06-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #8

The vehicle down switch is located up over the front cylinder near the coils but a bit more inboard. To access it you really need to remove the tank.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
The vehicle down switch is located up over the front cylinder near the coils but a bit more inboard. To access it you really need to remove the tank.
That's correct on the 06 07 and 08. Maybe other years too. If not there it would be next to the battery.
Like I said..no problems at all ever, then suddenly flat ..no fire in the hole. The sensor was actually level from side to side but leaning forward hence the sensor wasn't level to the bike.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:22 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

A new member of the various baggers association.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 06-14-2015, 09:00 PM   #11

Nice John!