Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-04-2014, 12:39 AM   #1

Theoretical Question

Would a single, 4 piston brake caliper have just as much stopping force as two dual piston calipers?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-04-2014, 06:22 AM   #2

I'm going to go with the latter. I'm thinking with a two 2 piston calipers you'd have more braking power because of the increase braking surface of the pads.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #3

Not enough information.
Stopping force is determined by a combination of applied friction points, not the number of pistons applying pressure.
One could assume that dual calipers are accompanying dual discs. This does not however lead to information about; surface areas, road contact, available traction, weight, applied force, road conditions. . .

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Last edited by markclark57; 05-04-2014 at 07:36 AM.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Jared, two 2 piston calipers would have more stopping power than one 4 piston caliper.

Double the rotors and double the brake pad surface.

Theoretically that is.
(kawboysix)

Old 05-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #5

It depends on the size of the piston and how much brake fluid is behind it. But most times two or four smaller pistons will provide better stopping power in a smaller package(caliper)

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #6

The biggest factors would be the diameter of the pistons surface are (brake fluid side). The more surface area, the more pressure from the same amount of force (pressure of the fluid pushing on the pistons). Also the type of friction material (what the pads are made out of), some have more "bite" than others, and some will "fade" as their temperature rises, and the other is the braking area (rotor discs), and the material their made from. But all things equal, and the only difference being the calipers, it would boil down to which has the largest surface area combined for the brake fluid to pressure against.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #7

The concept of multi piston calipers arose to combat two problems in high performance applications. First problem was inconsistent pressure along the brake pad surface due to backing plate flex. Think of taking a 4ft long 2x4 and pushing it up against a wall with one hand at it's mid point and then use two hands each placed 1ft from each end. Which way would you get the most consistent pressure thru out the length of the 2x4? Inconsistent pressure (i.e. less that desired pressure at points along the pad to rotor contact points) reduced braking forces and in the extreme produced brake pad chatter. The other was heat transfer to the brake fluid. With a single piston caliper system you have the heat transfer focused on only the fluid that contacts the single large mass piston that contacts the pad backing plate. So the fluid in contact with the piston would boil with out first having to heat up fluid in other parts of the caliper reservoir. While in multi piston applications heat transfer is distributed amongst multiple locations and there for distributed thru more of the fluid with in the caliper reservoir. Meaning that more of the fluid has to have it's temperature raised before boiling occurs.
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 05-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
Mega-Contributor

I would think that two two-piston calipers would provide more braking surface area and would be more effective and probably dissipate heat faster than a single four-piston caliper.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #9

Well more disc suface means better braking adhesion..as per related to what the brake pads have to get ahold of...but when useing the brakes a lot ..as in road raceing..hauling ass around hair-pin curves etc ..or riding the brakes down grade for long periods of time...any of them will lose a little stopping power as heat builds up !

My 02 Nomad..always has enough OEM braking power to "throw me down" if i get in a panic..or stupid !