Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #1

PC lll and Vance & Hines

I installed my pipes yesterday and noticed how close the left side muffler is to the final drive plug. Maybe 3/16 of an inch clearance. Looks like I have to loosen that muffler when I change the fluid. I had to grind out the burr inside the mufflers and the pipes slid in easily. Sloppy engineering but the pipes sound awesome. Now I am going to attempt installing the PC lll unit and it looks like I need to remove the gas tank. Any articles out there on removing the tank? Also, Is it OK to run the bike without the PC lll unit in for a couple days. Rarely hear any popping on deceleration and no pinging. Dave

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #2

PC lll and Vance & Hines

Nomadwest

Been riding my 1500fi with V/H baggers, K&N filter and no controller about 7000 miles now. I use mid-grade fuel mostly. Shell or other brand name and have not had any problems. Will be installing the stealth intake and a controller at a later date and like yourself, will be looking for info on the tank removal.
Saw a thread a few pages back about changing coolant. Talks about removing the tank and seemed pretty comprehensive. Might want to check it out. Think I'll coordinate my efforts and do both jobs at the same time.
Oh, the only time I got any pinging was loaded down in the hill country on a hot day. Went to 93 octane and problem solved. LOL They do sound GOOOOOD!

Old 05-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #3

PC lll and Vance & Hines

Dave, it's no problem if all you've changed is the pipes and maybe the filter element. Just go ride it.

Now once you go moddin' the intake system, that's another story....

Old 05-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to ruruson1
PC lll and Vance & Hines

I have tossed around the idea of changing my pipes for a year or so now. I spoke with the mechanic here @ the Kaw shop and he informed me that the nomads run rich in fuel due to the cadalactic converter on them if you replace the pipes he recommended opening up the front intake with a more open filter ( I hae used a K&N ) he advised this will lean the engine down and you would not have to put a power commander on the bike unless you just wanted to fine tune the engine. Hope this helps.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #5

PC lll and Vance & Hines

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadwest (Dave)
I installed my pipes yesterday and noticed how close the left side muffler is to the final drive plug. Maybe 3/16 of an inch clearance. Looks like I have to loosen that muffler when I change the fluid. I had to grind out the burr inside the mufflers and the pipes slid in easily. Sloppy engineering but the pipes sound awesome. Now I am going to attempt installing the PC lll unit and it looks like I need to remove the gas tank. Any articles out there on removing the tank? Also, Is it OK to run the bike without the PC lll unit in for a couple days. Rarely hear any popping on deceleration and no pinging. Dave

No reason to completely remove the tank. All you need to do is remove the two bottom bolts and loosen the top bolt without removing then you can just use a piece of scrap lumber to prop the tank up then you will have complete access to bottom side of tank without removing.

Bob

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #6

PC lll and Vance & Hines

Installing the PC is a breeze, just raise the tank up like bobt said, and put it on. V&H pipes are really nice but it seems their quality control is something to be desired.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Advanced Member

PC lll and Vance & Hines

I tried just lifting up the tank but didnt have much luck with that so i just took the tank off,only took about 10 minits. It also made zip tying the harness to the frame alot easier.