Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #1

finally got the guts....

Well just got finished installing my cam chain extenders,i kept putting it off because I was to nervous of screwing it up.
All I can say is its a walk in the park.Went pretty smooth start to finish took about an hour.Sure glad its over.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
Advanced Member

I know the feelings of nervous of screwing it up. I did my swing arm and drive shaft service replaced the boot and did brakes all the way around while putting 2 new tires on. it was my first time doing any wrenching except for normal oil changes. Took more than 1 hr. though.
VBA #02482

VROC # 36172

Old 04-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #3

I was the same way--nervous wreck--i can see where things could go bad though. Just hooked up my tach and was nervous about turning on the key--i could see it blowing the roof off my carport,but all went well. Now you can just ride.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hunter View Post
Well just got finished installing my cam chain extenders,i kept putting it off because I was to nervous of screwing it up.
All I can say is its a walk in the park.Went pretty smooth start to finish took about an hour.Sure glad its over.
Great Job!

Old 04-15-2014, 10:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Hey island hunter,
You want to make a trip out west and show me how it's done?

I've been putting mine off too because it does sound like it's pretty intimidating.(I've had a set of Chuckster's extenders sitting in my toolbox since last summer). But if you say it's really not that big a deal, I feel a little bit better about tackling it. Hmm, maybe this weekend?

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 Nomad 1600, Blue & Silver

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #6

I just used Jared's install from his own webpage very easy to follow

Old 04-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #7

Do it one step at a time and its not that hard to do at all. Just pay attention as you go.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #8

share that link ?

Quote:
I am thinking of doing mine to just wanted to do as much reading as possible before i started .Would love to see that link.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #9

It's a pretty easy process overall. Patience is key.. :-)

Old 04-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider View Post
Hey island hunter,
You want to make a trip out west and show me how it's done?

I've been putting mine off too because it does sound like it's pretty intimidating.(I've had a set of Chuckster's extenders sitting in my toolbox since last summer). But if you say it's really not that big a deal, I feel a little bit better about tackling it. Hmm, maybe this weekend?

Come down here Al and we can both put them in............maybe get Hammer to give us a hand.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #11

Quote:
What made you decide you needed to install extenders and how many miles on the engine?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #12

30,000 kms on her and I was getting more engine noise then I liked so I checked them before I installed and I'm glad I did there wasn't much travel left.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #13

Okay. Just curious how a guy can tell when he needs them. I read you'll hear a whirring noise like a loose chain makes and maybe rubbing sounds on the spark plug tunnels. I'm approaching 60,000 miles so I was just wondering.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #14

Quote:
I'll second Jared's install instructions. I just did the extenders this winter. Since I'm still using the stock intake, the front cylinder was a bit tricky, but doable without removing the intake tube.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
Okay. Just curious how a guy can tell when he needs them. I read you'll hear a whirring noise like a loose chain makes and maybe rubbing sounds on the spark plug tunnels. I'm approaching 60,000 miles so I was just wondering.
It isn't that hard to check following the instructions on Gadjet's site. If you start hearing it, you may wish you had checked it sooner. I replaced mine at less than 30,000. Have 48,000 now. They were down to the end of travel, so on mine they were due. I know of another guy who didn't do them until over 90,000, but by then he needed new tubes cause the chains sawed through them.

Yoda
VBA #01311
SCRC Chapter 289
07 Nomad