Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #1

Question Questions about changing over to Amsoil

I have a 2013 voyager 1700 and at some point will be changing over to synthetic and my question is those that are using Amsoil 10w-40, how do
you like it, do you really find a difference with engine noise, transmission and clutch operation also any notable difference with operating temperature? I usually make the switch to Mobil1 but am considering Amsoil, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Wolfman

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #2

I had a 08 vn900 custom prior to buying my vaquero, when I switched from the kawi dino to the amsoil in the 900 there was a very noticeable change in engine noise and the clutch feel as well as the shifting had less of a clunk. Fast forward 2 years, and in 2012 I purchased a left over new vaquero, I ran the kawi dino the first season about 5k miles all proper maint completed, and in 2013 when I changed the oil I went with mobil 1 ( I got a heck of a deal at autozone on it) and when it started getting around 4k on it this season the tranny started getting noticeably louder and seemed more effort was required to shift also seemed the lifters would bleed down after only sitting a day mind u it would only clack for a for about 10 seconds after startup. Stuff I never experienced running the kawi dino oil. I have zero experience with amsoil in a 1700 but I will say I was not impressed with the mobil 1 and next spring I will be running amsoil in both the wives and my scoot.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #3

Appreciate the feedback.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

...so you asked the same question again?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #5

With my Ultra Classic I've use Harley Dino, Harley synthetics, Mobil V-twin and now Amsoil.

I've come to the conclusion there's no difference between any. Oil is oil as long as the ratings are the same.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #6

New to the forum, wanted to cover both threads. Maybe I did it wrong.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #7

Make sure the oil has the required ratings as listed in the MOM, or else you may have any warranty claims denied.
Cobra Scalloped Slip-ons

Thunder Mfg. Intake Gasket
DEI Titanium exhaust header wrap
Corbin heated seat.
Polk Audio db521 speakers
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 with Mobil 1 M1-110 filter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
Chrome passenger running board covers
All new fluids and lube.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Top Contributor

I tried Amsoil in my Voyager to try and help with the shifting noise. It did not help.
On my Nomad it did help with the shifting. So I went back to Kawasaki 10w 40 in my Voyager as it takes 5 litres and the cost of Amsoil is expensive in Canada.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #9

I'd heard Amsoil also runs a bit cooler, is this true? I use Mobil 1 but have been told the difference between the two is enough to warrant a changeover.
2010 Voyager - Wrapped pipes; Ivan ECU Flash; Engine Ice; Debaffled stock exhaust; Thunder Intake; Ray's throttle mod on Kuryakan grips; Pax floorboard extensions; cutdown windshield; VStar trunk rack; iPod adapter. Former 2003 1600 Classic. Vulcan guy for life !!

Old 12-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #10

Last oil change i went with Amsoil 10w-40 and noticed a big difference in the characteristic 1700 shift clunk. Though expensive oil, my Nomad shifts much smoother and quieter now.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #11

I noticed a difference in my 900lt with shifting and temperature so now I have been using it in my Vaquero. The main thing I have read is if your going the long oil change interval's it seems to hold up the best. So I change mine once a year and I believe oil and filter delivered to my door was about $60 or $5 a month. I find that well worth the money.
ISO grips with Ray's throttle mod
OEM passenger floorboards
Mustang seat w drivers/passenger backrest
I-Pod adapter
Kruzer Kaddy
Amsoil 10W40
Auxiliary Driving Lights
Michelin Commander II's
Kuryakyn 4575 Longhorn Offset Dually Pegs
Vance and Hines Twin Slash Round Slip ons
EJK Electronic Jet Kit
Chuckster's air Intake System

Old 12-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calflan View Post
I'd heard Amsoil also runs a bit cooler, is this true? I use Mobil 1 but have been told the difference between the two is enough to warrant a changeover.
A friend of mine did a oil temp comparison before and after on two separate bikes at same speed and distance, weather, time etc.

Both bikes registered cooler temps with Amsoil full synthetic. One bike ran 8 degrees F cooler the other 10. These tests were done within two days of each other.

I personally cannot feel any heat difference between the two, but then I don't have a thermometer in my legs. I ran regular petroleum oil for the first 1500 break in miles since there is some data that synthetic oil can interfere with new rings seating on breakin. Ever since I've ran Amsoil, I get a pretty good deal on it from a dealer in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaNomad09 View Post
Last oil change i went with Amsoil 10w-40 and noticed a big difference in the characteristic 1700 shift clunk. Though expensive oil, my Nomad shifts much smoother and quieter now.
I can't really say if I can tell the difference in shifting between petroleum/synthetic engine oil on my Nomad. Now when I road a Harley I'd put 90w gear oil in the tranny and that definitely made a clunk difference.