Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #1

Bad Scuffs on the Bags

Prior to buying my bike used, a person helping the PO tied it down to a trailer to move it to another location. He managed to tighten straps across both bags and the pillion. The resulting scuffs were very severe and I got a quote to have it painted. I could not manage that solution so, on a recommendation, I tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It is an abrasive pad with a cleaner in it. I knew it would probably dull the finish and leave swirls, but the scuffs were so bad I decided to give it a shot. Well, I was right. It did dull the finish and it did leave swirls. But it also completely removed the scuffs. The only thing it did not remove was two deep scratches.

I was impressed with the result but now I had to get the shine back and get rid of those swirls. So I bought a small bottle of buffing compound and used an old terry cloth rag to remove virtually all of the swirls and now I am MUCH happier with how those bags look. It's not like brand new, but the end result was much less expensive and my only regret is that I did not take before and after pictures. I will probably use the buffing compound one more time, then wax the bags.

Let me say, right here and now, I am not telling you this solution will make you happy. It's a solution that might cause you more damage than you started with. I will say that it worked very well for me. Maybe I was lucky. I'm not sure.
VBA #02496

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #2

Perhaps buffing with a power buffer and some good wax will bring the shine back, you may have to have it clear coated as well.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #3

Acetone works great for scuffs. Just don't leave it on, wipe and take it right off.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #4

Acetone melts ABS plastic.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 11-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #5

I use mguires scratch X. That stuff is great. I used some rubbing compound on my mean streak tank and it scratched the clear coat. The scratch x brought it back to new. My side cover are scuffed up. They will be getting the scratch x treatment soon.

04 Meanstreak sold
Nomad sold
15 Roadmaster

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #6

There are different grades of rubbing compound just like sandpaper. Repeat ly using a milder one will take more time but will be safer.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #7

I thought about buying one of those contraptions that goes on your power drill, to use as a buffer. I'm certain that using a buffer would make a difference. I may try the scratch x too.
VBA #02496

Old 11-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Mega-Contributor

I wouldn't do that if it's just a buffer wheel that goes into the drill chuck. You want a random orbital buffer to prevent swirls and burnt paint.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #9

CJ -- That's what I believe it does...not sure how it works, but you can buy them at Advance Auto and other places. It runs about $60, and I'm hoping to find one less than that. I have not priced any of that stuff yet so I do not know which way I will end up going. Thanks for the tip though!
VBA #02496

Old 11-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #10

Body shops use clay bars to remove scratches and swirls. They are available in different grits.

Your best bet would be to use a good carnauba wax and do it by hand until you get the shine that you want.

2010 Nomad 1700

Old 11-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyRider View Post
Body shops use clay bars to remove scratches and swirls. They are available in different grits.

Your best bet would be to use a good carnauba wax and do it by hand until you get the shine that you want.
Clay bars do not remove scratches and swirls. They do a great job however, of removing things like overspray, rail dust, and environmental fallout. Rather than being an abrasive, they pull the contaminants from the surface of the paint.
Just trying to clarify. Abrasive polishes and compounds do come in various grits.

Yoda
VBA #01311
SCRC Chapter 289
07 Nomad

Old 11-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #12

try toothpaste, all it really is, is a paste mixed with fine abrasive with added flavour.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
Clay bars do not remove scratches and swirls. They do a great job however, of removing things like overspray, rail dust, and environmental fallout. Rather than being an abrasive, they pull the contaminants from the surface of the paint.
Just trying to clarify. Abrasive polishes and compounds do come in various grits.
You're right. It is used before waxing by body shops and detailers to pull all contaminates from the paint that normally would not be pulled out by a cleaner or compound. It is the last step before waxing usually done after 2000 wet sanding.

2010 Nomad 1700

Old 11-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyRider View Post
Acetone melts ABS plastic.
You're not supposed to put it on the plastic, just the paint. Use it all the time on fiberglass boats on gelcoat, never hurt it. And I've used it on my bags several times for scuff marks. I even used it on a Smart Car I drive at work when some idiot backed into the front fender and left rubber tire scuff marks. Smart Car panels are plastic. Took it right off with no problem. And again, you wipe it right off, don't leave it on. It evaporates quickly anyway.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #15

Take a few chips of ABS plastic and put it in a jar with some acetone. Watch how fast it liquifies.

2010 Nomad 1700