Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #1

Kickstand kill switch

I noticed today that the kickstand can be down with my 2003 1500FI even with the bike in gear. I even eased off the clutch and let the bike roll forward in gear with the stand down

My owners manual says that the stand will kill the engine, but it doesn't. I don't have a decent wiring diagram for this bike yet can someone point me in the right direction for thinkgs to check??? If you know the wiring colors that will be a help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-10-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Kickstand kill switch

can't help you there but happy you're riding again

Old 05-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #3

Kickstand kill switch

Ummm, they go right to the kickstand. Get down there and look. While you're down there, make sure the mechanism moves freely, the wires are plugged in, and they're not shorting to each other.

HOWEVER: Is your neutral light coming on when you're in gear? If so it's probably a stuck neutral switch. If the bike thinks it's in neutral all the time, it will start in gear with the clutch out, or run with the kickstand down.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #4

Kickstand kill switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
Ummm, they go right to the kickstand. Get down there and look. While you're down there, make sure the mechanism moves freely, the wires are plugged in, and they're not shorting to each other.

HOWEVER: Is your neutral light coming on when you're in gear? If so it's probably a stuck neutral switch. If the bike thinks it's in neutral all the time, it will start in gear with the clutch out, or run with the kickstand down.
Thanks.... I'll check it out when I put the new lift together (easier on the knees). The neutral light operates normally.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #5

Kickstand kill switch

I bet the connector is loose at the stand switch, or the switch is bad or maybe a little out of alignment.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #6

Kickstand kill switch

The switch at the kickstand is either stuck or defective. That would be my first bet to check. The bike should quit when you start letting out the clutch with the stand down.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #7

Kickstand kill switch

ringadingh should it kill when you let out on clutch or put in gear

Old 05-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #8

Kickstand kill switch

It will kill the engine as soon as you put it in gear.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #9

Kickstand kill switch

You should be able to put it in gear with the stand down, but it should die as you try to let out the clutch.

If the clutch switch is unplugged it won't even start. I think the same is true of the kickstand switch. I think the contacts inside the kickstand switch are fused together, or its wires are shorted together (but not shorting to the frame) Or someone has simply bypassed that switch altogether.

Now there are diodes in the circuitry to prevent feedback under certain conditions, and I suppose it's possible that one was damaged when someone jumpstarted the bike. Usually it's the diodes in the rectifier/regulator that get fried first, but those things are pretty stout on a Nomad compared to lots of bikes.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #10

Kickstand kill switch

Thanks for the hints guys, I'll let you knowwhat I find when I start looking.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:43 PM   #11

Kickstand kill switch

My '05 will not start if it's in gear with the sidestand down (just like if the kill switch is engaged), if it's running and you put it in gear (with the stand down) the engine will die, and if you stop, and put the stand down with it in gear the engine will die (I do this ocasionally to make sure it's still working). If it's in gear, with the stand up, you can pull in the clutch and it will start.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-11-2008, 05:53 AM   #12

Kickstand kill switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa t
ringadingh should it kill when you let out on clutch or put in gear
My bike doesn't die until I start to let the clutch out. It can be in gear running with the stand down. Maybe other years are wired differently, mine is an 02.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #13

Kickstand kill switch

The wires were/are cut. There is not much of a lead on the switch side (maybe 3/8") to splice them back. I may need to pull the switch and add some longer leads. I am not sure why the previous owner would have done it unless the switch is defective and he just wanted to bypass it. He didn't seem like a wrench (paid dealer for oil change and new battery).

Old 05-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #14

Kickstand kill switch

Sometimes those switches can become unreliable, causing the bike to stall after going over a bump in the road. People will often bypass them for this reason, because they are stuck out on the road somewhere, or just because they don't want to pay $40 for a new one.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #15

Kickstand kill switch

PS: sometimes it's just dirt/mud/grease causing the little lever to jamb, and the switch never quite closes when you put up the stand.