Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Spectre Filter Mod Today

Well I took off work today sick so I could do this mod. Bought 2 Spectre 9X2 filters with chrome plates for $15 each at Auto Zone here in TX. Bought some metric hardware at Home Depot and got after it. Did the left first and noticed a big increase in power in all gears. that part is quiet and worth it. then i did the right side. NOISY. i unplugged the ICS solenoids but runs rough at idle so I will think about this more. Also made a temporary block off plate for the left side air duct that carrys air to the right side to see if that made more power, it did not.

So both look good. Only the left side made a good power increase. if I can stand the noise I will leave the right one on. :-)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #2

Spectre Filter Mod Today

I never reall ran mine without the TFI hooked up, so perhaps there's a difference with the idle if you don't have one.

However: without the ICS I do have to run the idle up a bit when the engine is cold. Once warm it will idle normally, though a small speed screw adjustment may be required. (That knob under the right air filter.) Also, you'd want to do the Gadget idle speed mod (easy) so the fast idle knob will be within range again.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Spectre Filter Mod Today

That right side mod is noisy.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #4

Spectre Filter Mod Today

Awwww.....Don't be such a wuss.

Suck it up or get some ear plugs.

<---likes it noisy.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Spectre Filter Mod Today

I agree it is NOISY, but ear plugs do help. I'm just not seeing enough hp gain to warranty the right side mod. Yes to the left side mod which should flow a ton more air than stock, gives great hp gain and still quiet. But thats my humble opinion after working on this all day.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #6

Spectre Filter Mod Today

To my way of thinking, the bike looks "funny" with just one side done. I had to either do both sides, or just do the right & get rid of the left filter, duct, etc. completely. And I'm not all that picky about the looks, so you gotta know that to me it seemed really ugly with just one done.

Your bike, however, is your business; so whatever floats yer boat, as they say.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #7

Spectre Filter Mod Today

Would just doing the left side mod cause any problems if done on a stock bike with only the baffelectomy? I mean like running lean or rough etc.
As you can tell I am no mechanic
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #8

Spectre Filter Mod Today

I think you're going to have about the same side effects either way, as far as altering the fuel mix is concerned. The big difference is whether you get rid of the ICS or not.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #9

Spectre Filter Mod Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
To my way of thinking, the bike looks "funny" with just one side done. I had to either do both sides, or just do the right & get rid of the left filter, duct, etc. completely. And I'm not all that picky about the looks, so you gotta know that to me it seemed really ugly with just one done.

Your bike, however, is your business; so whatever floats yer boat, as they say.
I thought about the lopsided look before cutting into things too. I think I like it more now without anything on the left side but the simple clean look of large V-twin cylinders.

And fully agree with your statement about "Your bike..."etc. That's what makes this place so great! Everyone has something different even though we all have the same bike!

Tomk

Old 04-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Spectre Filter Mod Today

Hey Tom, post a pic on how clean your bike looks on the left side with nothing there. I was surprised how clean it looked. Like nothing is supposed be there look.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Spectre Filter Mod Today

Update: i going to stay with spectre on the left side with plugged air hole at 6pm and stock right side. Gives a fair increase in seat in the pants romp in all gears with stock quietness. think Ill leave it that way but might add a K&N filter for durability.