Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Finally got dark side tire on

Well, I finally got my dark side on.
I did it all by hand, ans everything went very smoothly (and for this, I give credit to God, especially when I have read of all the troubles some of you have had when you installed yours!)

I have had the tire for a year, after I bought it from Rhodyrider (I think). He had already put around 500 miles on it. So here is my question: should I start it at 40 psi like a new CT or should I maybe start at 38? (You will remember that he had some wobble problems when he had it on his bike).

Also, since e rotation was not marked on the tire, does anyone think I might have some problems later?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #2

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Mine wobbled so much I lowered the psi to about 35. Put it as high as you can stand it. The only other thing is take it easy on it for about 500 miles to burn the release coat off.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 05-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Advanced Member

I just got back from the test ride.
I put 38 psi in. It rode excellent, with no wobble at all. I ranit up to 80 indicated, and it was smooth the entire way through the spectrum.

The only weird thing was when I put the rear brake on at the stop sign at the end of my street, the rear broke loose ad squealed a bit. But when I came back from the ride, it didn't do it again.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #4

500 miles on a used tire ....there won't be any release agent left on it.

What size tire is it?

On my 195-60-16 my sweet spot is 30 psi and if I'm fully loaded for a trip I run 34.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 05-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Advanced Member

That must a been a helluva job installing that tire without a tire machine!
I mean, the shop guy, had to really work it to get it to go on to the rim on mine! He finally had to bring it up to around 80 psi and then we heard a LOUD pop and it was ON!

There is a "safety" lip inside rim, and its purpose is to keep the tire from flying off in the event of a blow out, and this lip, is what makes it so difficult to put the tire on.

I am now running 35 PSI
Was running 42 after about 300 miles,then went down to 35.
Did you balance the tire yourself ?

2008 1600 Nomad 56K miles "BlueBelle"

2004 1500 Nomad 102 K miles "Black Beauty"

ABATE Black Creek Chapter

Amvet Rider Post 86
http://www.facebook.com/AmvetPost86

Weston A. Price Foundation member.

Vegetarian......
An old Indian word meaning "Bad Hunter"

Legalize Freedom!
Question Authority!

"Im in love with the waitress, and I dont even know her name"
"Boys" Gone Wild" ! Mainstreet Station 2012 Daytona Bikeweek

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Advanced Member

It a little bit harder than when I have installed a normal bike tire. But not terribly much harder. I really expected it to be horrible, like I have read so often, when b others have installed it by hand. But like I said before, the credit is definitely God's, since there is no other explanation for it going so well.

When I was putting the air in to set the bead (or whatever it is called), it went perfect. The bottom side set fairly quickly and easily, with a nice loud pop. The top side was a clean slow set, with a clean pop as well.

I used 3 oz of Dynabeads, as usual. I also checked it before I added the beads, the way Mac has written (spin it, let it stop, then mark it. Repeat 4 to 6 times, and see if it keeps landing in the same spot or not).

The one mistake that I saw I had made is that I forgot to put the dot at the valve stem (I was truly so amazed and pleased with how well the tire went on, that I forgot!). It doesn't seem to affect the balance, though.

I put 38 psi in it to start. Help me out here, guys. what exactly am I looking for, in looking for the "sweet spot"?

Last edited by dougster; 05-29-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #7

every couple of days drop the pressure by 2 psi when you get to the sweet spot you will know it. When you get below the sweet spot in psi the rear end will feel mushy. By sweet spot we mean the bike will handle real well, better than the other settings.

Bob
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 05-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
What size tire is it?
I did not check, but I think it was the 195/60-16 like you said. Mine is a 1500, so I was limited on the sizes I could choose from