Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 08-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #1

crash

Went for a ride last Thur. with wife and friends and had to lay down my Nomad to avoid rear ending a car. Actually minimal damage to the bike due to the crash/bag bars. Minimal damage to me also due to good riding gear. Layed her down around 50mph. waiting to hear back from insurance to see if they will fix or total due to bike value versus parts cost. If totalled I'll buy it back and repair.
It was such a good day to that point! God is good because the outcome could have been so much worse if I had landed differently or been run over, etc.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #2

crash

Glad to hear you suffered little in the accident. Good luck with the repair.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

crash

Following too closely?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #4

crash

god is indeed good,sorry to hear about your misshap.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 08-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #5

crash

Glade to hear you are OK. I am assuming your wife was on a separate bike as you don't mention outcome.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #6

crash

Its always a great day until something like that happens.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #7

crash

Glad to hear your OK.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 08-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #8

crash

Had to lay it down ???
So you would rather slide fast on metal than try to scrub some of the speed off by using the friction of the tires and a set of brakes ???
If God had been a little better he would have let you avoid the situation all together. ;)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
crash

Sorry to hear about the accident. "Chit" happens sometimes. I've been down twice and don't want to do it again if at all possible.
I hope you and the bike get fixed up quickly and get back on the road.

Further to what T.C. said and commented on,..... I recently took an "advanced rider course". One up from a beginner course really. Of course we talked a lot about gear and safety at the beginning of the course. One of the things that was mentioned was that "had to lay her down" was used a lot after an accident like and similar to yours. The instructor pressed us to understand that this is not true. Our lack of knowledge and our choices is what causes us to "have to lay her down." I went on to learn and understand just how to {try} avoid accidents when split second decisions have to be made and just how much stopping power I have on my big 800 - 900 lb. bike. Even in the rain. And it was very wet during the course with puddles galore. And I know now that, with right/good tires that I have a lot of stopping power. I'm just saying......no disrespect intended to you "lectricman". Nor do I think I'm so smart or perfect with my own riding or stopping. I may have made the same decision as you given the situation. :-/

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 08-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Advanced Member

crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy ... #00722
Sorry to hear about the accident. "Chit" happens sometimes. I've been down twice and don't want to do it again if at all possible.

Further to what T.C. said and commented on,..... I recently took an "advanced rider course". One up from a beginner course really. Of course we talked a lot about gear and safety at the beginning of the course. One of the things that was mentioned was that "had to lay her down" was used a lot after an accident like and similar to yours. The instructor pressed us to understand that this is not true. Our lack of knowledge and our choices is what causes us to "have to lay her down." I went on to learn and understand just how to {try} avoid accidents when split second decisions have to be made and just how much stopping power I have on my big 800 - 900 lb. bike. Even in the rain. And it was very wet during the course with puddles galore. And I know now that, with right/good tires that I have a lot of stopping power. I'm just saying......no disrespect intended to you "lectricman". Nor do I think I'm so smart or perfect with my own riding or stopping. I may have made the same decision as you given the situation. :-/
I'm taking an advance course on the last weekend of August, Should be interesting and lost of fun. I will be taking some rubber hose covers to the crash bars just in case I push it over my limit

Old 08-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
crash

I doubt you'll need to T.B. .....There were 14 of us at my course with everything from HD baggers, sport bikes, G.W.'s ...and one Nomad. Not one of us dropped or tipped our bikes. Just remember,... what I guarantee your instructor will be saying to you. "Keep the power to the rear wheel", {with back brake on a bit} and stay in that friction zone { clutch } and you will not fall over. My instructor was forever telling us, once we had all three of those things going on, to ride it out!!!, ride it out!!! You're going to be amazed. And then do a full locked turn with your head turned in the opposite direction,... to where you want to be,.....well I look fwd. to hearing how you make out. It's a hard day's work but you'll have a gas.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #12

crash

Rickyboy,in your post following........you mentioned right/good tires...... What were they suggesting were the right/good tires for your Nomad?? Interesting to hear what they suggested. Thanks Dennis
(Sorry to hear about the accident. "Chit" happens sometimes. I've been down twice and don't want to do it again if at all possible.

Further to what T.C. said and commented on,..... I recently took an "advanced rider course". One up from a beginner course really. Of course we talked a lot about gear and safety at the beginning of the course. One of the things that was mentioned was that "had to lay her down" was used a lot after an accident like and similar to yours. The instructor pressed us to understand that this is not true. Our lack of knowledge and our choices is what causes us to "have to lay her down." I went on to learn and understand just how to {try} avoid accidents when split second decisions have to be made and just how much stopping power I have on my big 800 - 900 lb. bike. Even in the rain. And it was very wet during the course with puddles galore. And I know now that, with right/good tires that I have a lot of stopping power. I'm just saying......no disrespect intended to you "lectricman". Nor do I think I'm so smart or perfect with my own riding or stopping. I may have made the same decision as you given the situation. )

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

*2007 Nomad Black & Titanium - Dennis -Evansburg, Alberta Canada KawaNOW #01721

Old 08-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #13

crash

When they said right/good tires I don't think they would endorse a specific brand.
They probably ment the right size tire and good tread.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #14

crash

Thanks TC.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

*2007 Nomad Black & Titanium - Dennis -Evansburg, Alberta Canada KawaNOW #01721

Old 08-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #15

crash

Glad to hear you made it without serious injury. Good luck with the repairs and I am sure this incident made you a better rider.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina