Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #1

My Avon 's seperating/failing!!/????

I bought a Avon Cobra 180/70/16 rear tire for my 2006 Nomad last August as many of you said was a good way to go. I have only put 2,299 miles on it since then.[weather!] last week performed the swingarm and driveshaft maint.. thing. All has gone smooth; thanks to this forum, until I went to install wheel/tire. As I cleaning wheel and lube spline drive; etc.. and wrestling around with it; I noticed the center of the tire and about 3" wide; ALL the way around the tire, has a raised and not even profile. Almost looks like Avon has put a wear band that they inlayed while manufacturing and you can see it ?? My front tire was also a Cobra and has no such look.
The shop where I bought has always been a stand up place and is closed on Monday; so will be taking it back for their viewing tomorrow. Will get it replaced and hopefully will get it warranted without any hassles from Avon.
Reason for this thread; have any of you seen or experienced this before? Always helps in warranty issues if there has been other problems and warranty rep.. starts the old tap dance it's ok/denial thing..if you know what I mean...heck the weather here is primo right now for riding and don't want my scooter laid up waiting for a tire warranty debacle. Thanks in advance!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #2

I have not seen that. Do you know what the manufacture date code is on the tire? The nice thing about buying the tire from a shop and having them mount it is that you have a local place to take care of the problem. I'm lucky that my local independent shop has great tire prices.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #3

I didn't have the same problem with my rear Cobra but I wore out the center in only 6,000 miles. I blamed it on following Avon's recomendation of 50 psi inflation for riding 2 up and pulling the trailer to Custer, SD and back. My front Cobra is doing great. Nearly 16,000 miles and many more to go.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 03-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #4

I have around 6000 miles on my Cobras but did not notice anything like what you described.

Will take a closer look at the back tire when I get home on the weekend.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
Advanced Member

What are you guys running for PSI on your Cobra's? I just put one on the front, have it at 40 psi. Bought one for the back but haven't put it on yet. I was going to run 42 psi on the back.

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Tires are assembled by people on tire building machinery so there is the possiblilty that something was not done correctly. I would be repacing the tire on my own coin right now and keeping the defective tire for a refund down the road, thereby avoiding the replacement tire warranty debacle. How long does it take your tire seller/installer to contact an Avon Rep ?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
Top Contributor

PSI 40 front, 42 rear. 25,000 kms on the front and 23,000 on the rear so far.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #8

Cactus Jack aka: Scott dropped by the house yesterday for the first time to meet and eyeball my possible tire seperation. Just as I thought; a real nice fellow and also agreed the tire wasn't to par. I called my shop on warranty issues and the results is posted on a thread I put up today under " Avon Tire Warranty ".. Note: Scott has a REAL nice ride[!!]; just like he thinks I have a real nice motorcycle lift.[LOL]

Old 03-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpenn1
I bought a Avon Cobra 180/70/16 rear tire for my 2006 Nomad last August as many of you said was a good way to go. I have only put 2,299 miles on it since then.[weather!] last week performed the swingarm and driveshaft maint.. thing. All has gone smooth; thanks to this forum, until I went to install wheel/tire. As I cleaning wheel and lube spline drive; etc.. and wrestling around with it; I noticed the center of the tire and about 3" wide; ALL the way around the tire, has a raised and not even profile. Almost looks like Avon has put a wear band that they inlayed while manufacturing and you can see it ?? My front tire was also a Cobra and has no such look.
That is exactly what my Cobra tire did. I have now a set of Avons coming to me that were replaced under warranty. Kudos to Southwest moto tires.