Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthEast Group

Old 03-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #1

Modern Classics Show

Looks to be a great show next Sat. for those who like the Old Bikes!

http://martinmoto.com/modernclassics-bike-show

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #2

Modern Classics Show

Yesterday's show was great!
The wife & I seen many old friends, some whom we haven't seen in a few yrs. and many rode to the show as temps went up to the mid 50's and some sunshine.
There were so many beautifully restored Vintage Bikes it was difficult to pick out the best. The two that seemed to garner the most attn. were a Vincent Black Shadow & a beautifully restored early Norton. But the two finest restorations went to a Kawasaki & Goldwing. There were about 5 very early Kawasaki's that were restored so well that many commented that they probably looked better than they did when they came from the factory. I guess what was most surprising was that many of the bikes that were shown were actually ridden in the day before. The turnout for the show amazed everyone as there were hundreds filling the parking lots of all the nearby shopping centers and roadways. :)

This will I'm sure, be hailed as one of the top Vintage Show of the season.

With some promising weather next week, temps reaching the 60,s a couple day's I guess many will be out riding as last thursday's rain cleaned up just about all the salt and washed away a good bit of the cinders.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #3

Modern Classics Show

Thats sounds like it was a great show to wander through. I was talking to Al and he would like to go to that British bike show near York on the way home from the rally in June.
We had originally thought about going to the Barber Motorsport museum in Birmingham, but Al can't get any more time off work, and we would need an extra couple days to be able to do that.
Id like to try to ride through the Shanondoah Valley on the way there as well if we can swing it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #4

Modern Classics Show

Steve, our plans as of now are lv early Sun morning run backroads down to somewhere near Winchester Va hop on 81 for a short stretch then pick up the BRP. We'll stay over somewhere in Va Sun nite then back on the BRP Mon. Our intent is to arrive in MV Tues. On the way home it looks like Tenn,WV,Pa.
John may have to be home early so his sched is not final yet. I'll send you some info on another ride I may be doing into Canada later in June.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Modern Classics Show

O.D. Did you take any pictures?
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #6

Modern Classics Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Dawg
Steve, our plans as of now are lv early Sun morning run backroads down to somewhere near Winchester Va hop on 81 for a short stretch then pick up the BRP. We'll stay over somewhere in Va Sun nite then back on the BRP Mon. Our intent is to arrive in MV Tues. On the way home it looks like Tenn,WV,Pa.
John may have to be home early so his sched is not final yet. I'll send you some info on another ride I may be doing into Canada later in June.

I will warn Canada customs right away, thanks for the tip Lloyd
2012 Ebony Black Kawasaski Concours 14

Old 03-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #7

Modern Classics Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly
Quote:

Hey Sly you ole devil, how did the Cuba warm up go? ::)
Did you behave and set a fine example for all the Canadians that may follow? Or do they have to tread softly?

Old 03-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #8

Modern Classics Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer
O.D. Did you take any pictures?

No, they are going to post them on the website.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #9

Modern Classics Show

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly
[/b]

Did you behave and set a fine example for all the Canadians that may follow? Or do they have to tread softly?
Cuba was great! WARM saw alot of scooters and quite a few things callled a JAVA, 125 - 250 cc, many with side cars.... all in rough shape.. but the 56 - 57 Chevys are cool to see... As for my behavior, same ol same ol just like last years rally next trip is to eastern europe, if the samples that were in Cuba are any indication, W W (no she doesn't read my posts)

Old 03-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #10

Modern Classics Show

That is amazing how they are able to keep them old 50's cars running. ::)

::) I think I've seen where your going to the MV Rally with your honey that should really keep you on the straight & narrow.

Are you riding down with Norm?

Old 03-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #11

Modern Classics Show

YES sir, Norm and Caper, maybe Vulcanguy too, as for riding with my honey, ya but she gave up on me a while back

Old 03-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Modern Classics Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly
Quote:

Cuba was great! WARM saw alot of scooters and quite a few things callled a JAVA, 125 - 250 cc, many with side cars.... all in rough shape.. but the 56 - 57 Chevys are cool to see... As for my behavior, same ol same ol just like last years rally next trip is to eastern europe, if the samples that were in Cuba are any indication, W W (no she doesn't read my posts)
A friend of mine in 1970, bought a "basket case" Jawa 500. Thought he was going to make a chopper.

Brief History of the Marque: Jawa
Frantisek Janecek began manufacturing Wanderer motorcycles under licence in 1927 in order to diversify the interests of his arms factory. Having bought the tooling for a 500cc model, in 1929 he rebranded the machine with the name JAWA, derived from the first two letters of the words "Janacek" and "Wanderer". It was a shaft-drive model with a pressed steel frame, powered by a 498cc OHV engine.

In 1930 the English designer George-William Patchett joined the new company, resulting in faster, more robust chain-driven machines which although not commercially successful did well in competition. Villiers-licenced deflector two-strokes were incorporated into a lightweight range which proved popular, and in 1934 they also built DKW style flat-top two-strokes.

The 1930s also saw middleweight 350s of SV and OHV configuration, also Patchett designed, and just before war broke out they built the Josef Jozif designed 98cc Robot. Patchett returned to England for the duration to work for Royal Enfield and other arms manufacturers, but Jawa did not remain idle during the Nazi occupation. They secretly developed an advanced single-cylinder twostroke with telescopic front suspension, plunger rear and an automatic clutch. In 1947 they took over the Ogar factory and resumed production, producing the highly successful two-strokes as well as exotic DOHC racers. Subsequently they incorporated the Eso marque and began producing speedway machines.

During the mid 1930s the company also produced a range of cars and utility vehicles

Old 03-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #13

Modern Classics Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly

A friend of mine in 1970, bought a "basket case" Jawa 500. Thought he was going to make a chopper.

Brief History of the Marque: Jawa
Frantisek Janecek began manufacturing Wanderer motorcycles under licence in 1927 in order to diversify the interests of his arms factory. Having bought the tooling for a 500cc model, in 1929 he rebranded the machine with the name JAWA, derived from the first two letters of the words "Janacek" and "Wanderer". It was a shaft-drive model with a pressed steel frame, powered by a 498cc OHV engine.

In 1930 the English designer George-William Patchett joined the new company, resulting in faster, more robust chain-driven machines which although not commercially successful did well in competition. Villiers-licenced deflector two-strokes were incorporated into a lightweight range which proved popular, and in 1934 they also built DKW style flat-top two-strokes.

The 1930s also saw middleweight 350s of SV and OHV configuration, also Patchett designed, and just before war broke out they built the Josef Jozif designed 98cc Robot. Patchett returned to England for the duration to work for Royal Enfield and other arms manufacturers, but Jawa did not remain idle during the Nazi occupation. They secretly developed an advanced single-cylinder twostroke with telescopic front suspension, plunger rear and an automatic clutch. In 1947 they took over the Ogar factory and resumed production, producing the highly successful two-strokes as well as exotic DOHC racers. Subsequently they incorporated the Eso marque and began producing speedway machines.

During the mid 1930s the company also produced a range of cars and utility vehicles
Yau are right, JAWA ??? BTW, you have WAY too much time on your hands but interesting read none the less

Old 03-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Modern Classics Show

Retired...

Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #15

Modern Classics Show

lucky....