Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 02-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #1

Close call in auto

Well on the way back from NY visiting relatives I was on rt95 northbound when all of a sudden brake lights and cars skidding to a stop. Apparently somehow three cars ahead of me a car wound up perpendicular to traffic and stopped half in the high speed lane and half in the middle lane. Locked my brakes but not going to stop before hitting the car in front of me. I slid in between the cement Jersey barrier and the car ahead of me that was in the high speed lane. My wife thought between the noise of the brakes and other noises I hit the barrier. Thankfully not so though. There were inches between the barrier and the car that was now next to me. Pat could have shook hands with the cars passengers in the back seat. The car that was in back of me was now next to my back door just missing the car that was in front of me by inches. NO ACCIDENTS that I know of as a result of this incident . Totally amazing.......... ::) :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Close call in auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavor
Well on the way back from NY visiting relatives I was on rt95 northbound when all of a sudden brake lights and cars skidding to a stop. Apparently somehow three cars ahead of me a car wound up perpendicular to traffic and stopped half in the high speed lane and half in the middle lane. Locked my brakes but not going to stop before hitting the car in front of me. I slid in between the cement Jersey barrier and the car ahead of me that was in the high speed lane. My wife thought between the noise of the brakes and other noises I hit the barrier. Thankfully not so though. There were inches between the barrier and the car that was now next to me. Pat could have shook hands with the cars passengers in the back seat. The car that was in back of me was now next to my back door just missing the car that was in front of me by inches. NO ACCIDENTS that I know of as a result of this incident . Totally amazing.......... ::) :)
Here's a prime example of why you should always carry a sealed bag containing clean undershorts in your car! I'm glad you weren't telling a different version of the story.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #3

Close call in auto

Sounds like you were real lucky Jimmy.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Close call in auto

Wondering how you will make it through, and then wondering if anyone else will do you in. Makes a huge pucker moment. Glad you are OK. ;)
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 02-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #5

Close call in auto

Great reflex my friend .... for an old guy that is Happy to hear all came out ok for everyone
2012 Ebony Black Kawasaski Concours 14

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #6

Close call in auto

Thanks all. Brain numbness or just not grasping possible injuries but I wasn't scared as all was going on. A little pumped up afterwards but during the stop I though I was going to hit and my mind was do the best I can and that's all that was. That's the way it is with me and has been in my collisions over the yrs. I have always reacted with thinking all the way through until it's over. Even when in the 70's when I slid under a '70 colony park station wagon when I was going down hill and it coming up hill, all was just roll, get flat, turn head sideways so I didn't hit the bumper was all I thought about. Not I'm gonna die. My wife was another story though. Clean underwear and the statement to go slow afterwards was her reaction. Not to mention the high 5 after she got her senses back.

I've been lucky. In all the yrs and too many falls (one is too many), I only broke my collar bone (road rash aside), when I hit a crater where the bike stayed in the hole and I flew head over, and once pulling hole shots with a crotch rocket and lost the handlebars when I went into left rights as the front wheel came down to the side and as a result broke my wrist in two places when I tried to get the handlebars back in my grasp.

Yea I've been lucky.

On another note......
Darn I can't wait for riding weather......................

Old 02-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #7

Close call in auto

Oh yea. Watch that old guy sh## Sly.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Close call in auto

You were very fortunate Jim. Glad you guys made it through with only frayed nerves. Could have been a lot worse.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 02-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #9

Close call in auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
You were very fortunate Jim. Glad you guys made it through with only frayed nerves. Could have been a lot worse.
It does make me wonder how many lives I have left. ::) ???

Old 02-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #10

Close call in auto

Looks like you should try practicing the "5 Keys" of Smith System driving.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #11

Close call in auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Looks like you should try practicing the "5 Keys" of Smith System driving.
Well Dave............I guess you had to be there. I get the feeling it wouldn't have happened to you as you've never been in an accident, or close to it.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #12

Close call in auto

Glad you made it. Last time I tried to make it between the barrier and the car spinning across 4 lanes coming at me I ran out of room. His right rear behind the wheel came up my hood as I went under him. We came out ok but that was the end of that Subaru.

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 02-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #13

Close call in auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballast
Glad you made it. Last time I tried to make it between the barrier and the car spinning across 4 lanes coming at me I ran out of room. His right rear behind the wheel came up my hood as I went under him. We came out ok but that was the end of that Subaru.
Thanks Charlie. It's funny you said Subaru as I was driving my wife's outback sedan (car not wagon).