Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-28-2011, 03:38 AM   #1

let the repairs begin!!!

I have now got all the parts needed to fix my clutch (MT25 clutch spring) and rear break line (stock one rubbed through on the oil filter) as well as new tires front (stock size ME880) and rear (Darkside 205/60r16 altimax hp) I am also doing the much needed swing arm and drive shaft service.

Is there anything else I should look for or replace at this time when I have half the bike taken apart?

Did I see on here somewhere about a little ball bearing in the engine near the drive shaft that may come out and screw things up?

TIA,
Wrongway
'08 1600 nomad 15,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-28-2011, 05:10 AM   #2

let the repairs begin!!!

Its a small pin that you don't want to lose. I have only had mine off once. You will recognize it and know to protect it from flying across the room or falling into the motor. I just placed a couple of yellow rags so I could see it if it fell somewhere. Its not a big deal if you know to be careful and you already know.

Sounds like you are going to have different feeling machine when your done. The clutch will feel like a real motorcycle clutch and the car tire will take some getting use to. Thats my 2 cents. Good luck and don't forget the beer.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #3

let the repairs begin!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongway
I have now got all the parts needed to fix my clutch (MT25 clutch spring) and rear break line (stock one rubbed through on the oil filter) as well as new tires front (stock size ME880) and rear (Darkside 205/60r16 altimax hp) I am also doing the much needed swing arm and drive shaft service.

Is there anything else I should look for or replace at this time when I have half the bike taken apart?

Did I see on here somewhere about a little ball bearing in the engine near the drive shaft that may come out and screw things up?

TIA,
Wrongway
'08 1600 nomad 15,000 miles
Like billmac said, it's not a ball bearing, but it is a little pin with a spring under it. It is where the drive shaft couples to the out put shaft on the engine. After yo have the swing arm removed, rotate the drive shaft until you see a little hole in the coupling, and get it straight up. Find something small enough to fit thru the hole (I use a small drill bit), and press the pin down with it and get the drive shaft to slide half way off off, then hold your finger over where the hole was and finish sliding the drive shaft off. As the drive shaft clears the pin, the spring will pop the pin up, and your finger will keep it from flying out, just make sure it doesn't drop into the engine compartment.
Another pointer.... When you start reassembly, and have your swing arm torqued, roll the tire/wheel under the bike before trying to mount the final drive because it won't fit with the final drive mounted. Once you get the tire under the bike, adjust the height of the bike or the tire to get things close to where they need to be (I used blocks to raise the tire) and mount the final drive loosely. Get the tire/wheel to mesh with the final drive, and get your axle thru with all the other things the axle goes thru (spacers, rear brake caliper mount etc) and torque the axle. Save torquing the final drive to the swing arm for last, this will give you the most clearance between the swing arm and tire.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 01-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Advanced Member

let the repairs begin!!!

Just a little more clarification on the drive shaft pin. It is NOT pressed in. It is held in by a spring loaded sleeve thing behind it. So you are not taking a drift and hammer and driving it out. Just a little pressure to push it far enough in to let the shaft slide out.

If you beat it out you will damage the spring sleeve behind it. Not that I did that the first time I did it. ::)

Old 01-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #5

let the repairs begin!!!

Take a look at Gadgets Fixit sight and it will walk you through the whole procedure in detail.
Its not that hard to do at all.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #6

let the repairs begin!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik
Just a little more clarification on the drive shaft pin. It is NOT pressed in. It is held in by a spring loaded sleeve thing behind it. So you are not taking a drift and hammer and driving it out. Just a little pressure to push it far enough in to let the shaft slide out.

If you beat it out you will damage the spring sleeve behind it. Not that I did that the first time I did it. ::)

Like Ring said, Gadget has all the info on the "How To", below are a couple of links to it. And the pin will easily press down, it's a "slip fit".

http://gadgetjq.com/swingarmremoval.htm

http://gadgetjq.com/driveshaftlube.htm

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 01-29-2011, 02:34 AM   #7

let the repairs begin!!!

well I got it all apart pushed the pin in and didn't loose it. it looks great. I don't think I have much to worry about. I just need to lube everything get the new tires mounted and put on the bike. then lower it and tackle the clutch spring. I hope to have it all done by 3 pm tomorrow. or it will sit there one more day.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #8

let the repairs begin!!!

all is good. That clutch is so nice now. The new car tire is huge and is so close to rubbing but I am going to run it till I see that it is rubbing.
I found that it was easier to just take the frame off and swing it off to the side, that allowed all the room I could ever need to change out the clutch spring. and I didn't need to pull a bunch of unnecessary stuff off.