Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 09-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #1

Million Dollar Highway in October ?

Having missed an opportunity to ride this weekend to Lake Isabella and the Sequoia NP with some local CA riders this weekend, my thoughts have turned to what's next on the list.

My next opportunity to ride is October 14-17.. and the thing on my mind is the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado.

The question is... is this a real possibility in October ? I'm not a "fair weather" rider - I have my frog togs and will ride in the rain.... however ..... when you are heading somewhere scenic there's no point and nothing to see if its raining. My experience in the Glacier NP July 2009 confirmed that... got some great phots.. of clouds and rain :(" title="" border="0"/>

So I'm wondering if some CO locals or anyone else can advise on condition on Hwy 550 this time of year.

I'll be coming from the southwest through the desert, so I don't have weather problems on the rest of the trip.

All advice will be appreciated, but not necessarily followed

Cheers,
Brian

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

I lived at Colorado Springs for three years. There is a possibility of snow anytime in October. You never know what might happen. You will just have to watch weather reports and hope for the best.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 09-18-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

I know enough about Colorado weather to know you are taking a risk being in the Rockies on a motorcycle in October. You'd be at 10,000 feet and it can snow in June up there. Ice and frost is a strong likelihood. The last place I'd want to be is on the Million Dollar Highway if it's slick.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #4

You're on borrowed time riding above 10K feet in October. But then again if you catch the right day the Aspen will be brilliant against the blue sky. The ride getting there should be worth it by itself. Just have an alternate lower elevation escape route and enjoy.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 09-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #5

In October it would be a crap shoot for sure! I would venture to say that traversing it then on a motorcycle is unlikely at best and unwise at least. But, it will be a fine ride at the lower elevations, so you could always head up and turn back if it got rough. Me personally? I would never attempt it that late in the year. Hope that helps man. Let us know your final plans so we can mount a search for you! ;)

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #6

As others have said, it can be some great or some very bad riding. Take it a day (if not an hour) and a mile at a time and don't plan too far ahead for anything going one way or the other. The aspen colors will be pretty much, if not completely, shot by then, this past weekend was the peak in some places above 9K.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #7

What Ells and Audio saida ride ther in October isn't on my Bucket List

Old 09-21-2010, 11:20 PM   #8

Went over them last year in mid-september. Nice ride, but the weather will be questionable. That being said, rain just means it's bath day!

Old 09-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #9

Like other members have said it, I wouldn't do it that late in the year. We covered that area this August and it's beautiful up there and I think it's best enjoyed in decent weather.

Just my two cents.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #10

well, thanks ALL for the replies... I've been watching the daily weather at Silverton get colder and colder... and still 2-3 weeks before I planned to go. Darn.. I'm with you 1badbagger, I don't mind a day of rain or even snow, but the ice on the road certainly gives me some cause to reconsider... and the thing with rain is that even if you can still ride it, what's the point if you can't bloody see anything ???

I'll have to hit the maps and reconsider... I want to hit Monument Valley and 4 corners... seemed that I was so close I could give it a try, and perhaps I still will but perhaps it needs to be a decision made much closer to the day so that I can judge the road conditions better. I think I'll take the advice of a few of you and work on Plan B and also study the esape routes to lower elevations !

Will post before I go, just to let you all know and to put the husky search dogs on stand by

In the meantime I'm going to search this forum for feedback on hippo-hands on a nomad, and also looking for a good set of engine guard chaps.... hmm... and maybe some snow tires (kidding!)

Cheers,
Brian

Old 09-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2
well, thanks ALL for the replies... I've been watching the daily weather at Silverton get colder and colder... and still 2-3 weeks before I planned to go. Darn.. I'm with you 1badbagger, I don't mind a day of rain or even snow, but the ice on the road certainly gives me some cause to reconsider... and the thing with rain is that even if you can still ride it, what's the point if you can't bloody see anything ???

I'll have to hit the maps and reconsider... I want to hit Monument Valley and 4 corners... seemed that I was so close I could give it a try, and perhaps I still will but perhaps it needs to be a decision made much closer to the day so that I can judge the road conditions better. I think I'll take the advice of a few of you and work on Plan B and also study the esape routes to lower elevations !

Will post before I go, just to let you all know and to put the husky search dogs on stand by

In the meantime I'm going to search this forum for feedback on hippo-hands on a nomad, and also looking for a good set of engine guard chaps.... hmm... and maybe some snow tires (kidding!)

Cheers,
Brian

Monument Valley and Four Corners would be nice that time of year. Al that altitude, they would be chilly at night, but nice during the day. Definitely a better choice than 10,000 foot mountain passes.

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17