Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #1

steering head bearings

hello, I think the steering head is loose, so I want to tighten it.
I will be doing this in a parking lot as I don't have a garage.
What tools will I need?
Also could I get a step by step on doing the job,.......thanks
2008 1600 nomad

The best 'GPS' is a full tank of gas!

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2010, 01:28 AM   #2

steering head bearings

pooker wish I could help with the technical part of it for you but I can't. I did want to build on your thread though, if you don't mind. I have an 05 1600 with 43k miles on it. The steering was starting to feel kind of "notchy", what I mean is I would be driving down the road let say 35mph and need to turn a bit and the handlebar would feel like it was stuck in place. I'd stop and the bar would turn lock to lock smooth as could be. I had the bike serviced a month ago before coming home on R&R and the mechanic replaced the steering head bearings. The old ones were rusted badly and pitted. He said even though the bearings are in a sealed area the changes in hot and cold created condensation which eventually led to the rusting. He said KAWA and all other manufacturers are notorious for not putting much grease on the bearings. He packed them tightly with grease when he changed them out this time. Just an FYI. Now if someone can direct pooker in how to tighten them up maybe some of you might want to check yours too.

vin

Old 06-13-2010, 06:47 AM   #3

steering head bearings

Youll need a jack to lift the bike up, as well as a selection of wrenches,sockets and allen keys. Im not sure if Id attempt doing it in the parking lot myself, since youll have the front of the bike apart for a few hours. The best thing is to to read the instructions in the shop manual thats available at the top of this board, or check Gadgets page also.
Its not real difficult, but there is a bunch of parts and bolts that have to come off the bike, try not to lose them in the parking lot.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-13-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
Top Contributor

steering head bearings

Hi.
Have you been to gadgets website? Lots of useful stuff there including the procedure for tightening the steering head bearings. Do you have a jack to get the front of the bike off the ground ? http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixit...tm#maintenance

I do mine in the garage and use tie downs to the rafters to hold the handlebars up and out of the way.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #5

steering head bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay
Hi.
Have you been to gadgets website? Lots of useful stuff there including the procedure for tightening the steering head bearings. Do you have a jack to get the front of the bike off the ground ? http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixit...tm#maintenance

I do mine in the garage and use tie downs to the rafters to hold the handlebars up and out of the way.
I've been to Gadgets site and it really didn't tell me anything that I didn't know. Because i am in an apartment I will have to do it in the parking lot. I would like to know what SIZE of tools I will need, wrenches, sockets, but which ones?
I only want to tighten it up some.
Thanks

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
Top Contributor

steering head bearings

I dont think anyone can remember exactly what size of every tool they needed for this job. You will need a set of metric allen keys and a socket for the nut between the handlebar clamps (36mm ?). After you get the top yoke off the adjustment nut under the top yoke can be tightened with a screwdriver and the palm of your hand. Do not overtighten, do it by "feel'.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
Top Contributor

steering head bearings

Hi, I just got finished adjusting the steering head bearings on my 05. The centre nut on the top yoke is 36mm. There are quite a few parts that have to come off to get to the bolts that clamp the top yoke to the fork tubes. The windshield, the lowers and all the bracketry that hold them to the forks have to come off. There are also two 6mm bolts that hold the headlight assembly that need to come out before you can get to the 10mm clamp bolts at the top of the forks. The clamp bolts need to be loosened before you can take off the top yoke. When you get the top yoke off you will see a kind of tab washer that goes over the adjustment nut. Take this off. You will now be able to adjust the steering head bearings using the "feel" technique. The bearings need to be tight enough to take out any play but not too tight that the forks cannot be moved smoothly from lock to lock. Any more questions just ask.

If I were you I would grease the bearings before doing the steering head adjustment. If you want to know how to do that let me know.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #8

steering head bearings

Quote:
Hi, I just got finished adjusting the steering head bearings on my 05. The centre nut on the top yoke is 36mm. There are quite a few parts that have to come off to get to the bolts that clamp the top yoke to the fork tubes. The windshield, the lowers and all the bracketry that hold them to the forks have to come off. There are also two 6mm bolts that hold the headlight assembly that need to come out before you can get to the 10mm clamp bolts at the top of the forks. The clamp bolts need to be loosened before you can take off the top yoke. When you get the top yoke off you will see a kind of tab washer that goes over the adjustment nut. Take this off. You will now be able to adjust the steering head bearings using the "feel" technique. The bearings need to be tight enough to take out any play but not too tight that the forks cannot be moved smoothly from lock to lock. Any more questions just ask.

If I were you I would grease the bearings before doing the steering head adjustment. If you want to know how to do that let me know.
Okay, all finished!!!
Yes, mine were loose!!!!!
Everything is tight now, just like a new bike.
Thanks

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Old 06-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #9

steering head bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooker
Quote:

Okay, all finished!!!
Thanks
How many miles are on your bike?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #10

steering head bearings

I f you're not mechanically inclined and don't have metric tools, don't try it. Not only do you need to disassemble the upper end of the steering assembly but you need to know how to preload and adjust tapered bearing. The book's torque for the bearings is questionable at best. With mechanical ability, I'd suggest a shop manual from Kawi, not a Clymers. The shop manual will answer and assist you through many repair questions. AND you'll save some money in the long run. I always read through any repair procedure, locating parts and making notes, before some repair work.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:14 AM   #11

steering head bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooker

Okay, all finished!!!
Thanks
How many miles are on your bike?
I have 34,000 kms. on it now!

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030